First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Milwaukee to Oshkosh for the EAA Airventure Airshow.

Flat Midwest highway in conserve mode on a warm moderate wind day.
76 Miles
58 MPH Average
1 hour, 19 min
2.5 Mi/kWh
30 kWh total consumption
20" Wheels with standard AT tires

Sorry about the crap photo

Rivian R1T R1S Conserve Mode Efficiency Improved? Rivian R1T real world range on a 900 plus mile trip averaged 2.7+ miles/kWh IMG_8554
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Drive modes are locked out from being changed above 85 mph.
Good to know. Is this for all cars in general or a Rivian thing?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Good to know. Is this for all cars in general or a Rivian thing?
The concerns would be around two things: suspension height changes (which are more significant in a Rivian than any other vehicle) and the rear motor disconnect going to Conserve.

Oddly, the only time I've heard anything changing to/from Conserve is when I was stopped (or slightly rolling) and I went from Conserve to AP, and heard a loud thunk noise from the rear axle. I had just completed a long drive in Conserve on the highway.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Pinned at 73 indicated (70 GPS) I can reliably get 2.5 mi/kWh

Pinned at 78 indicated (75 GPS) in a few tests, I've measured ~2.2 - 2.3

Both in conserve mode.

21" roads (with aero inserts), power tonneau closed, unpopulated cross bars over the bed.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
No clue how some are hitting these numbers. I drive like grannie's grandma and best I see on a good day is 2.3. Usually right around 1.95 to 2.1 on the average day of "normal" driving.
Average day of normal driving will produce the worst efficiency numbers, similar to an ICE vehicle. Short trips from cold starts, conditioning the cabin, getting in/out of vehicle, reconditioning the cabin, etc. all add up to crappy efficiency numbers. You should get better efficiency on long highway trips in Conserve than you see as your lifetime average. My overall average is around 2.15 mi/kwh, normal daily driving is less and long trips is more.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I was testing out conserve mode a bit, but for the sake of the tires and motors I'll be sticking to all purpose unless I need to stretch range in an emergency.

Conserve also has that odd pulling feeling from the front wheels that is not nearly as smooth as AP in stop and go driving.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
On my trip from Hood River to Bend OR I got 2.17 mi/kwhr on the way there and 3 mi/kwhr on the way back in conserve mode
Temp: 105
Tires: 20" AT
Cruise control was set at 62 for most of it with some sections at 68.

The mi/kwhr seemed to match the SOC drop as well.

Average mi/kwhr of 2.518 doesn't seem bad. My mileage has been much worse in town recently because of the heatwave.

SEARivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - El Cap Granite, 20"AT Black
I've got the 20 inch AT with the dark wheels. I have driven about 1,000 miles so far and am averaging 2.19 mi/kWh. Mix of highway and city driving. My best is about 2.35 in conserve on a 200 mile highway roundtrip going 70.

My worst is 1.89 over a weekend doing mostly city driving ironically but I am sure that's because I had the air conditioning on full blast because it was 95-100 degrees outside and I was getting in and out of the vehicle a lot running errands. So it would heat up and cool down inside. The battery was running fans hard at those temps with the AC pumping and even when I locked it and walked away, I could hear the fans still running to cool the battery. Normally when I lock it the fans shut off right away. There was one point where I never saw it get over 2 mi/kWh over the course of an hour of running errands.

Everyone talks a lot about range reduction in the winter, but it appears that is just as true when it's very hot outside as the battery is working to cool itself and if you love AC like I do.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has no one calculated real efficiency (meter to wheels) over a duration? Charge to 85% and reset trip. Drive for a week or two and charge back to 85%. Divide smart charger actual used by miles.

Sponsored

IGranite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am running 2.55-2.6 mi/kWh (according to the trip computer) over a few weeks of relatively short (<10mi each way) commute and random errands in what I would consider suburban/ city outskirts driving. A bit of highway, but mostly local roads. 21” with aero covers, mostly on conserve but occasionally all purpose and punching it for enjoyment of passengers. I have doubts as to whether the trip computer is capturing vampire drain when not moving.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has no one calculated real efficiency (meter to wheels) over a duration? Charge to 85% and reset trip. Drive for a week or two and charge back to 85%. Divide smart charger actual used by miles.
Not really. I could probably go and grab my data from everywhere and compute it. But it's kinda worthless to me. I care about efficiency solely from a max range standpoint, so including vampire losses and inverter efficiencies, etc isn't useful. Just a "In this configuraiton, 70MPH means XXX miles, 75MPH means YYY, etc".

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Pinned at 73 indicated (70 GPS) I can reliably get 2.5 mi/kWh

Pinned at 78 indicated (75 GPS) in a few tests, I've measured ~2.2 - 2.3

Both in conserve mode.

21" roads (with aero inserts), power tonneau closed, unpopulated cross bars over the bed.
Same configuration, I just made a trip yesterday:

151.7 miles
Average Speed of 70 mph
Time of 2 hrs, 11 min
Efficiency of 2.26 mi/kWh
Total Energy of 67 kWh

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Same configuration, I just made a freeway trip yesterday:

151.7 miles
Average Speed of 70 mph
Time of 2 hrs, 11 min
Efficiency of 2.26 mi/kWh
Total Energy of 67 kWh

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Just drove from Greenville to CLT on I 85. Used 24% SoC on a 90 mile drive, conserve mode with an average speed between 60 and 65. 2.9mi per kwh
Sponsored