Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I drive in conserve mode on the highway, all purpose everywhere else. I am seeing 2.5-2.7 in ideal conditions going up and downhill each day.
Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The most accurate way to measure is with a charger that measure kwh. Charge to 85%. Drive it. Charge back to 85%. Divide miles by kwh to charge back to 85%. That's the real efficiency. Minus the pesky vampires which unfortunately have big fangs.
Well kind of... that's part of it but you missed a lot of it: Get as many constants as you can, ie same charger, same road, same traffic, same speeds, same drive mode, same height, same SOC start, time of day, temp humidity, manage charging conditions (charging with AC on will deliver more charge to your car and skew numbers) etc, ultimately you have to drive out and back on the same road so you can remove the wind variable from the equation.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Pinned at 73 indicated (70 GPS) I can reliably get 2.5 mi/kWh

Pinned at 78 indicated (75 GPS) in a few tests, I've measured ~2.2 - 2.3

Both in conserve mode.

21" roads (with aero inserts), power tonneau closed, unpopulated cross bars over the bed.
XZac same measurements on speedo as me...3mph off.

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

XZac same measurements on speedo as me...3mph off.
Quick question, are you saying you are seeing that the speedometer readout is about 3 mph faster than the actual speed of the vehicle (when using GPS to indicate speed?). What do you think is most accurate? speedo or GPS? Why do you think the speedo would be off that much if everything is still stock and covered? Thanks!

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Quick question, are you saying you are seeing that the speedometer readout is about 3 mph faster than the actual speed of the vehicle (when using GPS to indicate speed?). What do you think is most accurate? speedo or GPS? Why do you think the speedo would be off that much if everything is still stock and covered? Thanks!
Rivian intentionally made the speedo read ~5% higher than actual speed as a "safety buffer". This doesn't affect the odometer or any other distance related measurements. They intend to tighten down that buffer over time.

Sponsored

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

Rivian intentionally made the speedo read ~5% higher than actual speed as a "safety buffer". This doesn't affect the odometer or any other distance related measurements. They intend to tighten down that buffer over time.
Interesting. Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info! Is this common practice for auto manufacturers? 🤔

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Interesting. Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info! Is this common practice for auto manufacturers? 🤔
There are other vehicles with speedos that read high, yes. There was even one that also affected the odometer (overstated miles and thus had effects like warranties expiring faster, service being done sooner, decreased residual values etc.), which was a big no no and a lawsuit.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
How does Conserve drive? Does it seem sluggish or underpowered? Handling differences, etc.?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
How does Conserve drive? Does it seem sluggish or underpowered? Handling differences, etc.?
Well it's literally half power, you'll even see the top half of the power meter grayed out. But it's all relative, because that's still 400+ horsepower and quicker than it's ICE comparables. Handling wise, it's going to be all the same stuff as comparing FWD to AWD on any vehicle, you'll get reduced traction and handling with the former.

However, the main use case is highway cruising on long trips, so the power is somewhat irrelevant (you can't feel a difference if you're staying in a band of 60-80mph). The handling is mostly too, unless you have poor weather, in which case you'd have to weigh the trade offs. I probably wouldn't do it in snow, but most rain is likely still just fine, even if technically a disadvantage.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
My speedo reads fast, yes, when it says 60 on speedo I'm doing 57. When 63 I'm doing 60.

Sponsored

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
2.7? C'mon now. :)
20220731_163343.jpg
Okay, I'll bite. How did you manage that? Was it downhill and downwind the whole way? I commute fairly flat through a windy area about 100 miles a day. I'm lucky to get 2 Mi per kWh, but then again I usually do about 80 mph most of the way. I also have the 20" AT's.

gpellerin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure, Mazda Cx5,
Occupation
Consulting
I had been using conserve mode pretty exclusively, but changed to All-purpose when around town...tire wear was the primary reason. I rotated my 21's at just under 5000 miles and the front were visibly more worn. The delta for the electricity cost is far less than having to replace all 4 tires earlier due to uneven wear. I still use conserver on the highway, but not all the time.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Here’s my trip from SF Bay Area to Vancouver and back..21” wheels, conserve mode on highways driving up to 80mph

Rivian R1T R1S Conserve Mode Efficiency Improved? Rivian R1T real world range on a 900 plus mile trip averaged 2.7+ miles/kWh 4B5E836F-3593-4588-85E9-B60187310C4B

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
My speedo reads fast, yes, when it says 60 on speedo I'm doing 57. When 63 I'm doing 60.
Mine is also off by about 4%: when it reads 74 my GPS says 71. I'm 99% sure the GPS is correct. It is my understanding that auto makers frequently and deliberately make the speedo read high. I can only speculate about the reasons for that.
Sponsored