Sponsored

Consensus on Tesla adapter?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Taycan has an 80A onboard charger available as an upgrade. I think there are a couple others that can do it but don't remember them off the top of my head. The lyriq debut edition will be the first GM vehicle with an 80A OBC.
Ford Lightning and old Teslas had 80A standard or option IIRC. Surprised if Hummer doesn't.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ford Lightning and old Teslas had 80A standard or option IIRC. Surprised if Hummer doesn't.
The Hummer pickup has a 48A onboard charger. There are rumours the SUV will ship with an 80A. The real issue with the Hummer was that hotel chargers had no chance of filling the pack in a single overnight because they are generally 32A.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The Hummer pickup has a 48A onboard charger. There are rumours the SUV will ship with an 80A. The real issue with the Hummer was that hotel chargers had no chance of filling the pack in a single overnight because they are generally 32A.
Same problem with Rivian. Rivian doing a lot of level 2 chargers as part of RAN is not a good use of funds. Well, unless paying for level 2 is cynical marketing.

Kyle in his Rivian travel video chuckled at the low miles added after he plugged in overnight at a hotel. I would always plug in if available. But the miles potentially added can't be used for trip planning, so the need for fast charging remains unchanged.

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
IT Consulting
Have any of you researched or followed the charging methods enough to know the VERY BEST method for charging both a Model 3 and a Rivian off of the same outlet? I guess I could have my electrician run a second 60amp since the garage is right above the panel. I just thought about that as I'm typing this.
I've been wondering which "splitter" out there allows the best charge-sharing with the most juice as well as which Wall appliance to get (Rivian dedicated) or Tesla with "Tesla-tap" which people have been mentioning. I'm not sure how to just have both cars plugged in at night and not have to be nursing the charging sessions.
I've been reading a ton this past week and still haven't seen anyone address this. I'm assuming I'm not the only human out there with a Tesla AND another electric car (Rivian).

Thanks in advance fellas (and fellettes?)

ssg_actual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and some other junk.
Have any of you researched or followed the charging methods enough to know the VERY BEST method for charging both a Model 3 and a Rivian off of the same outlet? I guess I could have my electrician run a second 60amp since the garage is right above the panel. I just thought about that as I'm typing this.
I've been wondering which "splitter" out there allows the best charge-sharing with the most juice as well as which Wall appliance to get (Rivian dedicated) or Tesla with "Tesla-tap" which people have been mentioning. I'm not sure how to just have both cars plugged in at night and not have to be nursing the charging sessions.
I've been reading a ton this past week and still haven't seen anyone address this. I'm assuming I'm not the only human out there with a Tesla AND another electric car (Rivian).

Thanks in advance fellas (and fellettes?)
if you want both plugged in at once there’s a clipper creek model that does dual J1772’s or you can buy two Tesla wall chargers, derate them to circuit max, use an adapter for the Rivian.

Also for purposes of the thread:
I’ve successfully used the Lectron Tesla-J1772 charger on a 60a Destination charger at 48A in 85 degree ambient temps with no issues.

Sponsored

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looking at a Teslatap mini vs Lectron adapter. Looks like there have been reports of compatibility issues with the trsla tap mini and charging speed issues with the Lectron. Anyone have a suggestion on which way to go?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Most multiple Eevee insufficient outlet charging scenarios are best addressed through a dual headed load balancing charger. Most of the time the power output is adequate is just you don't want to be switching cables
Sponsored