Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm pretty sure it just one panel that slides up to open and down to close.
ah ha. The two square shapes threw me off
Sponsored

GaryGR

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE Preorder
Occupation
Enterprise Data Solutions
Clubs

Given that it looks like there's a passthrough from the cab to the gear tunnel, a crazy idea popped into my head. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to leave the passthrough open, use a 12v tube fan with small air ducts/hoses run to each end of the gear tunnel for air circulation and heat/cooling, and transport dogs in the gear tunnel. My wife thinks I'm nuts and said if I tried to put the dogs in the gear tunnel she'd drive a separate vehicle with the animals, but it seems like it might be big enough and should be safe, and probably more comfortable for them than travelling in crates small enough to fit in the R1S. The primary reason I have an R1S configured instead of an R1T is because we need to be able to take German Shepherd sized dogs with us, but if the gear tunnel could accommodate the dogs safely then I'd probably prefer the R1T. Assuming that the pass through is large enough to facilitate a setup that provides enough airflow and cooling/heat (maybe not a good assumption) then the issue is probably whether or not the gear tunnel is large enough for the dogs to stand up and turn around. I'd definitely test it on myself before putting any animals in it, but I'd want to be fairly sure it would work before switching my order.

Is this just a severe case of wishful thinking? If anyone who has seen the R1T in person can comment that would be especially helpful.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Given that it looks like there's a passthrough from the cab to the gear tunnel, a crazy idea popped into my head. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to leave the passthrough open, use a 12v tube fan with small air ducts/hoses run to each end of the gear tunnel for air circulation and heat/cooling, and transport dogs in the gear tunnel. My wife thinks I'm nuts and said if I tried to put the dogs in the gear tunnel she'd drive a separate vehicle with the animals, but it seems like it might be big enough and should be safe, and probably more comfortable for them than travelling in crates small enough to fit in the R1S. The primary reason I have an R1S configured instead of an R1T is because we need to be able to take German Shepherd sized dogs with us, but if the gear tunnel could accommodate the dogs safely then I'd probably prefer the R1T. Assuming that the pass through is large enough to facilitate a setup that provides enough airflow and cooling/heat (maybe not a good assumption) then the issue is probably whether or not the gear tunnel is large enough for the dogs to stand up and turn around. I'd definitely test it on myself before putting any animals in it, but I'd want to be fairly sure it would work before switching my order.

Is this just a severe case of wishful thinking? If anyone who has seen the R1T in person can comment that would be especially helpful.
I'm not sure the first aid kit is set up to handle multiple dog bites, so you might want to bring some extra medical supplies.

You're gonna need 'em!

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Sean,

As it turns out, I have a close friend in Atlanta I was visiting with on the phone over the weekend. I like the thought of a long Labor Day weekend to attend that game! I've been to one all-SEC game with a childhood buddy who lived near Fayetteville, and he took me to an Arkansas - South Carolina in Little Rock. Even though it was several hours from campus, I'd never seen tailgating like that before.

His wife and her parents were along on the sojourn, as well. As we walked by the sea of motorhomes and school flags filling the War Memorial Stadium parking lot, several hours before the game, I made the mistake of saying "Wow! These people must have set up really early this morning to get all that barbecuing started!" Her Dad, a kind and gentle man, was ahead of me on the sidewalk. He stopped immediately, spun around and declered loudly and clearly, "Son! This is the S. E. C. ! These people have been here since Thursday!"

I could almost hear each period in that statement. Luckily, his wife was much more compassionate towards me. As her husband spun back to continue leading our march towards the restaurant, I could hear her words of kindness when she quietly told her daughter "Well, isn't he precious? That boy is special!"

Yep! I get it now. All of it. Words have multiple meanings, and college football is a religion in the South. Yeah, lots of fans all over the country thinking "we've got a rabid fanbase!" I know, I think the same thing about my school, but it's not like the S. E. C. Not. Even. Close.

When I share this with my friends down there, I want them to know just how much I love them and their parents, and kids, and grandkids. The words above attributed to her mother are a stretch for comedic effect, but they would've been well-deserved. Her father's words? VER. BA. TIM. Well, his life lesson stuck. I believe that was the Fall of '97, and I can still hear his voice, and each one of those periods. Loudly. And. Clearly.

All told, they're some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet in a lifetime of looking. Made me feel like family the instant I met each and every one of the extended family over the decades. Warms my heart to think about them every day.

Be well, Chuck & Pam! ❤
We usually treat outsiders pretty well (outside of the insistent chanting). The generosity quickly disappears when it's another SEC team LOL.

Labor Day weekend in Atlanta (in non-pandemic times) it quite the thing. There are a number of events. The best however, is that Dragon Con is that weekend and its hosted across a few of the big downtown hotels. I used to work in those buildings and there's nothing like the people watching that Friday through the weekend.

My favorite moment was one time a family from UT (down for the football game, dressed in all Vol Gear) just got off the elevators Friday to head out for the day and a group of Storm Troopers were waiting to get on. They had no idea what to think, and I could see the question of, "Do we need to run? Is Atlanta always like this???" going through their heads.

This is before it gets going... Point being, if you plan on coming, book early.
Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R1T Gear Tunnel is accessible from interior through rear seat arm rest! 1629484759283

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

We usually treat outsiders pretty well (outside of the insistent chanting). The generosity quickly disappears when it's another SEC team LOL.

Labor Day weekend in Atlanta (in non-pandemic times) it quite the thing. There are a number of events. The best however, is that Dragon Con is that weekend and its hosted across a few of the big downtown hotels. I used to work in those buildings and there's nothing like the people watching that Friday through the weekend.

My favorite moment was one time a family from UT (down for the football game, dressed in all Vol Gear) just got off the elevators Friday to head out for the day and a group of Storm Troopers were waiting to get on. They had no idea what to think, and I could see the question of, "Do we need to run? Is Atlanta always like this???" going through their heads.

This is before it gets going... Point being, if you plan on coming, book early.
1629484759283.png
Thanks for the heads up. I have a cool Nike shirt with a ghost image of my beloved Duck on the chest. It won't stand out as much in black-and-white as it would in green and yellow.

Regarding intra-SEC games, I've heard Georgia-LSU can be a little uncomfortable for some people, true? Trust me, but for a lot of very good reasons, I'll not be wearing anything purple, should I make the game, or any other time, ever! That color hits me like the BeeGees do.

I know others here have said they attended a bowl game in Shreveport, and found way more LSU fans than the fans from the two schools playing in the game, combined. Proof that College FB is serious stuff down South!

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up. I have a cool Nike shirt with a ghost image of my beloved Duck on the chest. It won't stand out as much in black-and-white as it would in green and yellow.

Regarding intra-SEC games, I've heard Georgia-LSU can be a little uncomfortable for some people, true? Trust me, but for a lot of very good reasons, I'll not be wearing anything purple, should I make the game, or any other time, ever! That color hits me like the BeeGees do.

I know others here have said they attended a bowl game in Shreveport, and found way more LSU fans than the fans from the two schools playing in the game, combined. Proof that College FB is serious stuff down South!
It can all be cantankerous but honestly UGA-LSU don't play enough for the :devil: to really build up. It's usually a pretty big matchup but not like some of the other games where there's generational hate.

However, LSU at home (especially at night) vs. anybody can be :oops: There's a special sauce in the Bayou that only comes after 12+ hrs of tailgating.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

UGA-LSU is only really uncomfortable for the Georgia fans because their team will probably lose.

UGA's big rivals are Georgia Tech (non-conference since Tech is in the ACC with other good academic schools), U. of Florida (they play in Jacksonville and claim to be the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"), Auburn, and UT-Knoxville. UGA also has a weird series with South Carolina since USC seems to beat them but only when USC is really bad.

I think the biggest intra-SEC games are Bama-Auburn (the Iron Bowl), Bama-LSU, UGA-UF, and UGA-Auburn. Those are the ones that are the most intense, IMO. Some others are quite dramatic as well, but those 4 rivalry games often have at least a division title on the line.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

This is a dumb idea. Do you put your dog in the trunk of a car and cut a breathing hole in the back seat? No?

hell, just replace the seat backs with wire mesh if you’re going to do that. Which is also dumb.

GaryGR

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE Preorder
Occupation
Enterprise Data Solutions
Clubs

This is a dumb idea. Do you put your dog in the trunk of a car and cut a breathing hole in the back seat? No?

hell, just replace the seat backs with wire mesh if you’re going to do that. Which is also dumb.
I did say that I would install a forced air circulation system that includes heat and air conditioning, not just a "breathing hole", and the dimensions of the gear tunnel are quite different than those of a trunk (I also said that the dogs would need to be able to both stand up and turn around), but thanks for the feedback. I'd never do anything that would endanger animals, or even make them uncomfortable. The idea was to find a solution that would actually be better for the dogs, not just convenient for me. In any case, the idea has been vetoed by my wife, and she prefers an SUV anyway, so it looks like I'm sticking with the R1S. However, I do still think the idea of rigging up an air circulation system for the gear tunnel has some potential, and also has other possible applications, such as turning it into a climate controlled sleeping space for someone who isn't too tall for it.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I did say that I would install a forced air circulation system that includes heat and air conditioning, not just a "breathing hole", and the dimensions of the gear tunnel are quite different than those of a trunk (I also said that the dogs would need to be able to both stand up and turn around), but thanks for the feedback. I'd never do anything that would endanger animals, or even make them uncomfortable. The idea was to find a solution that would actually be better for the dogs, not just convenient for me. In any case, the idea has been vetoed by my wife, and she prefers an SUV anyway, so it looks like I'm sticking with the R1S. However, I do still think the idea of rigging up an air circulation system for the gear tunnel has some potential, and also has other possible applications, such as turning it into a climate controlled sleeping space for someone who isn't too tall for it.

Long trip, passenger getting cranky, they can nap!

On a serious note, I am not a truck guy and have no use for one, so I can't think of a use for it that would be practical for me; the frunk would be sufficient for me. But instead of putting a system, you could probably tap into the existing ducts and just pull a line. I did that with my Model S 7 seater version. It was a hassle though!

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Long trip, passenger getting cranky, they can nap!

On a serious note, I am not a truck guy and have no use for one, so I can't think of a use for it that would be practical for me; the frunk would be sufficient for me. But instead of putting a system, you could probably tap into the existing ducts and just pull a line. I did that with my Model S 7 seater version. It was a hassle though!
One thing that I am curious about, is the air circulation inside the frunk (not to store living beings in, sheesh).
I only ask because I see this is the area designated as the endorsed spot for a fridge/freezer - all 12v fridges I've seen need air circulation to work, if they don't, the compressor has to work harder and it a) draws more current and b) burns the motor out due to overheating.

Anyone know if the frunk has air circulation with the cabin or other? You wouldn't want it open to the elements without a dust filter at a minimum, but there was some talk about it maybe having a drainage plug? Anyone?

I'm also curious - does either R1T or R1S come with a front passenger side glovebox?

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I wonder why. Interested to know what is behind that space.
It looks to me like the dash just floats higher above the passenger's legs. What dash does exist is covering the AC ducts, of course. The lower part of the cabin looks much more open than traditional designs. There may also be some other mechanical components hidden behind the dash to allow for a larger frunk.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
It looks to me like the dash just floats higher above the passenger's legs. What dash does exist is covering the AC ducts, of course. The lower part of the cabin looks much more open than traditional designs. There may also be some other mechanical components hidden behind the dash to allow for a larger frunk.
Id assume the cabin air filter is in there. Maybe a HEPA filter is going to be a surprise. Gotta keep up with competitors in the market.
Sponsored