DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Updated with photo of the passthrough port to the gear tunnel, posted by @Babbuino

Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R1T Gear Tunnel is accessible from interior through rear seat arm rest! fb_img_1629132978404-

Forgive me if anyone else has mentioned this Easter egg. In fact, please forgive me if I have mentioned it and forgot I did so.

In addition to the cool flashlight in the driver's door, hidden behind the green door here is another cool feature. I took pictures, but somehow, they did not survive the trip. Please use your imagination...

Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R1T Gear Tunnel is accessible from interior through rear seat arm rest! 20210815_213613

When you drop the rear armrest, there is an accordion-type door behind it. When you slide that door up, there is an entry port to allow you to reach through into the gear tunnel. If you were to have a cooler strategically placed, you could reach through the opening and into the cooler, and pull out the ice-cold, non-alcoholic ?? beverage of your choice. The reverse is also true, should the empty non-alcoholic containers need to be stowed away quickly and discreetly while pulling over for any reason.

For the family on a long vacation, should the kids make too much noise, any rear seat passenger could easily open the access port and request that they keep the noise down. Should they fail to comply, the volume control on the Meridian Elevation system should prove quite effective at "Noise Cancellation".

Looking forward to other Easter Eggs as these things roll out. If this already out there, I guess I'll have the proverbial egg on my face.... ??

Edit: Babbuino found and posted a pic of the exposed portal in post #13 below. Thank you for that, Babbuino!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Wait, your kids are making noise riding in the gear port tunnel in this scenario? :)

In all my Audis, there has been a similar door between the trunk and rear seat. When you buy the winter package, it’s attached to a waterproof “sock” so you can put your skis in there…

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
For the family on a long vacation, should the kids make too much noise, any rear seat passenger could easily open the access port and request that they keep the noise down. Should they fail to comply, the volume control on the Meridian Elevation system should prove quite effective at "Noise Cancellation".
Hahaha! Brilliant!

Awesome hidden feature. Makes me even more excited for this truck!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Forgive me if anyone else has mentioned this Easter egg. In fact, please forgive me if I have mentioned it and forgot I did so.

In addition to the cool flashlight in the driver's door, hidden behind the green door here is another cool feature. I took pictures, but somehow, they did not survive the trip. Please use your imagination...

20210815_213613.jpg

When you drop the rear armrest, there is an accordion-type door behind it. When you slide that door up, there is an entry port to allow you to reach through into the gear tunnel. If you were to have a cooler strategically placed, you could reach through the opening and into the cooler, and pull out the ice-cold, non-alcoholic ?? beverage of your choice. The reverse is also true, should the empty non-alcoholic containers need to be stowed away quickly and discreetly while pulling over for any reason.

I wish I had pics, but it's pretty easy to imagine it.

Looking forward to other Easter Eggs as these things roll out. If this already out there, I guess I'll have the proverbial egg on my face.... ??
I was wondering if the gear tunnel would be accessible from inside. Now I know!
another “it seems like they thought of everything” detail.

@DuckTruck maybe your guide could send a picture?

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolinaEAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 4Runner, & s0---0n a 2022 LE R1T.
This is an excellent addition! I think we can collectively excuse the mistake on leaving this out until now ?. Thanks again for sharing so many details from your experience!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm a bit surprised over the surprise people have over this revelation? Lots of cars and SUVs have pass-through holes hidden behind center arm rests, to allow long items to overfill into the cabin, or for a rear passenger to grab something from the trunk/cargo area. It's hardly unique or special.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

@DuckTruck - Thanks for sharing. Did you happen to catch if there's a way to secure something from sliding around inside the Gear Tunnel? Or on the Gear Tunnel Shuttle?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is there another passthrough from the geartunnel to the bed?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there another passthrough from the geartunnel to the bed?
No. The rear wall of the cab is there and solid, along with the tonneau cover storage.
Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R1T Gear Tunnel is accessible from interior through rear seat arm rest! 1629127300519

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I was wondering if the gear tunnel would be accessible from inside. Now I know!
another “it seems like they thought of everything” detail.

@DuckTruck maybe your guide could send a picture?
You're reading my mind! I'll see what he says. Did I tell you he's brilliant? (Hopefully, he's reading this). ?

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm a bit surprised over the surprise people have over this revelation? Lots of cars and SUVs have pass-through holes hidden behind center arm rests, to allow long items to overfill into the cabin, or for a rear passenger to grab something from the trunk/cargo area. It's hardly unique or special.
Agreed, but all those other pass-throughs are not attached to R1T's. ?✌

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No reason to assume something is present. So it is a pleasant surprise.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

20210815_213613.jpg

I wish I had pics, but it's pretty easy to imagine it.

From Face. The purple shirt seems to be from the video

Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R1T Gear Tunnel is accessible from interior through rear seat arm rest! FB_IMG_1629132978404

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
the photo actually confuses me more now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the photo actually confuses me more now.
Looks like a panel that either folds like a bi-fold door, or hinges down.
Sponsored