First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I find it funny to use the "lack of usage" excuse on something clearly intended to have low use rates to begin with.

It's one of those things that's nice if you have an application in mind for it.

I also haven't used the AC or DC output in the gear tunnel much, but that will instantly change as soon as someone creates a custom fridge meant for the gear tunnel.
That’s a great point. What type of usage do they expect from an outlet in a storage area? It would be intermittent at best. Unless you are using your Rivian to deliver ice cream every day no one would need that.
Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Frankly didn't even know it was there so never used it and can't think why I ever would.

Smart decision by Rivian. KISS.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I belive them when the say the usage was low, but I doubt that was the reason and more the justification. I can't possibly see how it's a cost saver, but probably a 12volt battery saver. I wonder how many people with 12volt battery issues use 12volt accessories.

As one of the lucky ones that got a 2023 with a 12volt in the frunk (in addition to the other 2 12volt) I've never plugged anything into any of the 12volt outlets and have only used the USB C + the 120v.

If you really wanted to cut cost, I'd cut the bluetooth speaker and put it in the gear shop for $300. While a cool idea, very few people would miss it.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
If you really wanted to cut cost, I'd cut the bluetooth speaker and put it in the gear shop for $300. While a cool idea, very few people would miss it.
Then they could add a safe option for that space.

They apparently peaked at the camp kitchen concept.

Sponsored

kevint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570, GX470, Audi E-tron
Occupation
Business owner
How hard will it be to after market one ? Seems a great place to put a Dometic cooler in the frunk

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired Attorney
The few that were seen lately were leftover parts being used.

Kindly stop making equipment deletions without telling those still awaiting their vehicles.

By failing to communicate you not only have the disappointment at the change but you also feed to notion that you are hiding something or, perhaps worse, that you just do not care.

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Posting yesterday to RIVIAN Electric Vehicles Discussion | R1T + R1S & Amazon EDV, Martin Bogomolni offered a more expansive account of the 12V socket delete. Bogomolni claimed (based on an exchange with Rivian's Director of Manufacturing) that Rivian:
  • is installing just one 12V socket per vehicle now to manage a parts shortage while waiting for certification of a new part to replace the 12V sockets entirely;
  • has already designed new frunk tub and center dashboard assemblies with no mounting point or wiring harnesses to support 12V sockets.
If true, this account isn't necessarily inconsistent with the "Rivian Responds" explanation of "low use rates", or with the general notion of cost-saving and streamlining. But as others have noted repeatedly on rivianforums, Rivian too often seems not to care about the impact of keeping its customers in the dark. An article in Autoevelution suggests that this is another example of Rivian handling it's growing pains poorly.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What would be the “new part” that would replace 12v sockets entirely? Another built in USB? Anything similar would also require wiring, etc…

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
It doesn't make sense that there is no power outlet, 12V, 120V, USB-C or otherwise in the frunk. For the R1S, this means you need to have the cabin open in order to run power from the vehicle in any fashion. For a Giant battery on wheels, this seems like a strange choice for a vehicle branding itself as an adventure vehicle made for camping and outdoorsy stuff. Sure let the flies and wildlife in the cabin as you run a power cord to your tent.
How about a 110 outside like in the charging door, ala most RVs

Sponsored

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Posting yesterday to RIVIAN Electric Vehicles Discussion | R1T + R1S & Amazon EDV, Martin Bogomolni offered a more expansive account of the 12V socket delete. Bogomolni claimed (based on an exchange with Rivian's Director of Manufacturing) that Rivian:
  • is installing just one 12V socket per vehicle now to manage a parts shortage while waiting for certification of a new part to replace the 12V sockets entirely;
  • has already designed new frunk tub and center dashboard assemblies with no mounting point or wiring harnesses to support 12V sockets.
If true, this account isn't necessarily inconsistent with the "Rivian Responds" explanation of "low use rates", or with the general notion of cost-saving and streamlining. But as others have noted repeatedly on rivianforums, Rivian too often seems not to care about the impact of keeping its customers in the dark. An article in Autoevelution suggests that this is another example of Rivian handling it's growing pains poorly.
Autoevolution is the business insider of auto news, ie clickbait, sensationalist, not a lot of new content

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
What would be the “new part” that would replace 12v sockets entirely? Another built in USB? Anything similar would also require wiring, etc…
I usually give Rivian the benefit of the doubt, but I’m skeptical on this one. If you were intending on a new part to replace the existing/constrained outlet, why would you go to the trouble of deleting the wiring and tub redesign with no hole? A simpler solution would be to leave the wiring in place and put a plug in the hole until the new part is available. Obviously this assumes that the new part would be the same size…. I still feel like we are not getting the true story here.

This one annoys me more than the Meridian stereo delete.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I usually give Rivian the benefit of the doubt, but I’m skeptical on this one. If you were intending on a new part to replace the existing/constrained outlet, why would you go to the trouble of deleting the wiring and tub redesign with no hole? A simpler solution would be to leave the wiring in place and put a plug in the hole until the new part is available. Obviously this assumes that the new part would be the same size…. I still feel like we are not getting the true story here.

This one annoys me more than the Meridian stereo delete.
I agree. And I’m not sure why it’s so hard for them to just release a bunch of announcements,/ updates maybe with the software releases, telling everyone about these changes and what they can expect . We all understand parts shortages cause changes. Just be honest!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm pretty RJ had mentioned a while back that one of their supply chain problems was the wiring harnesses. There isn't a "shortage" of any of the components of the harnesses, but the supplier making the harnesses couldn't keep up the pace they needed. If that's the case, removing some wires would speed things up.

I doubt we'll ever get power back to the dash area. The ideal, IMO, would be a pair of USB-PD. Maybe 65W shared across 2 plugs (45W+20W)? That would let you fully power a reasonably-thirsty laptop or 2 high-end tablets.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I just saw this in the latest version of the R1T Owner’s Manual dated 3/27/2023:

Depending on your vehicle, not all outlets may be available

Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed by Rivian: No more frunk 12v outlet going forward 1680155096910

I also honestly didn’t know there was an outlet under the back seat climate control display.
Sponsored