Sponsored

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
At the point Tony announced the frunk outlet was being removed because of “lack of usage” wasn’t there only like 10k trucks delivered? And most of them had only owned their trucks for a matter of weeks, not months.

Nothing about that makes any sense.
Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed by Rivian: No more frunk 12v outlet going forward Sandy-Munro-861x1024
Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

“low use rates reported by owners”

Only used on Memorial Day, Labor Day, fall Sundays, and camping in the summer. Definitely not worth the $1 in parts. Now on the other hand, the lack of a 12V in my R1S gives off a certain air of sensibility which will raise my esteem among my peers.
So lack of use/interest is driving a decision to remove a feature?

Let me be the first to bring CarPlay into the discussion. If Rivian is using data to drive decisions I think there’s a case for adding CP/AA.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
“low use rates reported by owners”

Only used on Memorial Day, Labor Day, fall Sundays, and camping in the summer. Definitely not worth the $1 in parts. Now on the other hand, the lack of a 12V in my R1S gives off a certain air of sensibility which will raise my esteem among my peers.
Cheapening, thanks to Sandy Munro.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So lack of use/interest is driving a decision to remove a feature?

Let me be the first to bring CarPlay into the discussion. If Rivian is using data to drive decisions I think there’s a case for adding CP/AA.
Using Rivian logic, literally no one uses CP in their R1T/S so they feel justified not putting any effort into it. I mean, why expend resources on a feature literally no one uses! Right? /s

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Last year, we made the decision to remove the 12V outlet from the front trunk of Rivian vehicles due to low use rates reported by owners
I know they need to spin it, but man this explanation sucks.

I use my rear seatbelts less often than my 12V outlet, are you going to remove that next?

I've only used my air compressor a handful of times, out it goes!

And don't even get me started on the airbags, I don't even plan to use those!

Just say "We wanted to reduce costs and complexity."

Sponsored

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

I'm probably naive, but wouldn't using the 12v in the frunk (and gear tunnel) possibly run the risk of draining the 12v battery that seems to be having issues quite a bit and bricking the R1? My assumption would be people would use this while camping/tailgating when the truck is off for an extended period of time so it wouldn't be recharging.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve had my R1T for almost a year and have never used the frunk 12v. Please direct your anger at me.
Same here. Also we just picked up our R1S today and it also has the plug in the frunk we will likely never use. Would have much rather had the 12V in the bed of the R1T instead of the frunk.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Same here. Also we just picked up our R1S today and it also has the plug in the frunk we will likely never use. Would have much rather had the 12V in the bed of the R1T instead of the frunk.
Awesome! Can’t wait to pick up my R1S tomorrow. If it has a frunk outlet I’m going to post a photo here to brag.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
It doesn't make sense that there is no power outlet, 12V, 120V, USB-C or otherwise in the frunk. For the R1S, this means you need to have the cabin open in order to run power from the vehicle in any fashion. For a Giant battery on wheels, this seems like a strange choice for a vehicle branding itself as an adventure vehicle made for camping and outdoorsy stuff. Sure let the flies and wildlife in the cabin as you run a power cord to your tent.

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

It doesn't make sense that there is no power outlet, 12V, 120V, USB-C or otherwise in the frunk. For the R1S, this means you need to have the cabin open in order to run power from the vehicle in any fashion. For a Giant battery on wheels, this seems like a strange choice for a vehicle branding itself as an adventure vehicle made for camping and outdoorsy stuff. Sure let the flies and wildlife in the cabin as you run a power cord to your tent.
I agree. I would love to see an option for a 120v and/or usb-c in the frunk. I just took delivery and mine does not have the 12V or a spare wire taped to the light as previously mentioned. I think the factory retool early this year cleaned alot of this up.

I do have a service appt. coming up and I'll ask if there is a way to retrofit 12v easily.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We've run USB cables from the cabin to the tent without having to keep the door open. It's closed well enough on the partial latch but doesn't put much pressure on the cable.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
We've run USB cables from the cabin to the tent without having to keep the door open. It's closed well enough on the partial latch but doesn't put much pressure on the cable.
well that's good to know.... there's also the trailer hitch wiring, now that I think about it and the 12V battery leads meant for charging a dead battery we could probably jerry-rig if we had to.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I know they need to spin it, but man this explanation sucks.

I use my rear seatbelts less often than my 12V outlet, are you going to remove that next?

I've only used my air compressor a handful of times, out it goes!

And don't even get me started on the airbags, I don't even plan to use those!

Just say "We wanted to reduce costs and complexity."
Don't forget about the brake pedal. I seldom use that. Out it goes!

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I'm probably naive, but wouldn't using the 12v in the frunk (and gear tunnel) possibly run the risk of draining the 12v battery that seems to be having issues quite a bit and bricking the R1? My assumption would be people would use this while camping/tailgating when the truck is off for an extended period of time so it wouldn't be recharging.
The main is supposed to be recharging the 12v system so it shouldn't be an issue. But we know there is an issue out there for some that they will have to correct. Hopefully the new software update will fix it.

I often run my ARB fridge on the the 115v because I don't have 12v in the bed. That should stress the 12v system. I have ran it for several days that way.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
At the point Tony announced the frunk outlet was being removed because of “lack of usage” wasn’t there only like 10k trucks delivered? And most of them had only owned their trucks for a matter of weeks, not months.

Nothing about that makes any sense.
I find it funny to use the "lack of usage" excuse on something clearly intended to have low use rates to begin with.

It's one of those things that's nice if you have an application in mind for it.

I also haven't used the AC or DC output in the gear tunnel much, but that will instantly change as soon as someone creates a custom fridge meant for the gear tunnel.
Sponsored