First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
Being an electronics kind of guy, my theory is.. Rivian has a current loop monitoring the power drawn from the 12V outlets, and it sets a bit in a log file somewhere when either is (um, was) used.
They then ran a report that showed very little usage and it ended up on the cost-cutting/chopping block.

So my suggestion is, those with the 12v outlets installed, if you can plug in a 12v light bulb or similar load on the weekends.. they will see them in use and (maybe.. ) add them back... :clap:
Sponsored

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Given the horrible charging pad, and lacking a great UI... Meaning many folks want a phone on the dash... Removing the under dash power source it very frustrating.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I also honestly didnā€™t know there was an outlet under the back seat climate control display.
I saw that today for the first time. What an absolutely useless thing. Would've preferred a cup holder, or literally anything else in that spot, LOL. šŸ˜†

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
What would be the ā€œnew partā€ that would replace 12v sockets entirely? Another built in USB? Anything similar would also require wiring, etcā€¦
I assume they mean certification of a 12V socket related part sourced from a different supplier which would allow them to resume installing 12V sockets, and that they discontinued them because the supplier they were using either couldnā€™t meet demand or was having issues which held up Rivian production. Since Rivian needs to ramp and start meeting volume goals, or risk going under, they decided to decontent and move forward; canā€™t imagine theyā€™d ā€œokayā€ a production miss due to a wait for 12V frunk sockets.

Sponsored

rockdogz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I also honestly didnā€™t know there was an outlet under the back seat climate control display.
Well, there is todayā€¦

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
This is still so confusing... The onboard power options are terrible. 1400W shared to the 120V outlets. No power available in the frunk is a huge mistake... Not sure what they're thinking.
Sponsored