Sponsored

Compressor doesn't stop when reaching target

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone else experienced this? I was just inflating my tires, wherein the process was: set the PSI to 48, plug in the hose, see actual pressure (<48), and hit the start button. For 2/4 of the tires it would feel like it was taking a long time so I'd hit the stop button and see that it had gone all the way to like 55. For the other two it correctly stopped at 48.

Am I doing something wrong? Seems awfully dangerous that it can just keep pumping to infinity.

Also, is there a way to air down to an exact pressure? In this case I was venting air > going back to the display > repeat until 48.
Sponsored

JohnK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rivian R1T
Occupation
None
This happened to me once. Got a nail in a tire and had top off daily over the weekend. Once it stopped at 47. So I restarted and it ran on like you described to 55 when it stopped on its on. It didn’t show 55 on the truck but that’s what I found with my gauge. So yes a bug. But now that I know I would just be aware of the possibility. Doesn’t seem too dangerous.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Keep in mind that you have to set the desired pressure and hit play on every tire. If you stop and hit play again it will just run beyond the original set pressure.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Keep in mind that you have to set the desired pressure and hit play on every tire. If you stop and hit play again it will just run beyond the original set pressure.
If that's the process then that's probably what happened but it begs the question... why? There's a few major problems with that:
  1. The display continues to say that the previous pressure is currently still set (continues to read "set 48 PSI" in my case), so I'd imagine that most people would, like me, assume that if 48 psi is still "set" that it is still the target when you press start
  2. Given (1), what are you supposed to do? It's already "set" to the right pressure, so do you just press +1 -1 to basically remind it?
  3. Why wouldn't the behavior in (1) be the desired behavior? How often would you be using the compressor multiple times in quick succession for different pressures each time?
  4. If you don't set a pressure right before hitting start, then what is the expected behavior if the sane behavior isn't in place? Is it really to just pump indefinitely? Is there some magic number it always pumps to like 55psi (per comment #2 which indicated that their experience was that it just stopped at 55 on its own)?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If that's the process then that's probably what happened but it begs the question... why? There's a few major problems with that:
  1. The display continues to say that the previous pressure is currently still set (continues to read "set 48 PSI" in my case), so I'd imagine that most people would, like me, assume that if 48 psi is still "set" that it is still the target when you press start
  2. Given (1), what are you supposed to do? It's already "set" to the right pressure, so do you just press +1 -1 to basically remind it?
  3. Why wouldn't the behavior in (1) be the desired behavior? How often would you be using the compressor multiple times in quick succession for different pressures each time?
  4. If you don't set a pressure right before hitting start, then what is the expected behavior if the sane behavior isn't in place? Is it really to just pump indefinitely? Is there some magic number it always pumps to like 55psi (per comment #2 which indicated that their experience was that it just stopped at 55 on its own)?
I agree with you, that’s the way my Dewalt compressor works but sadly my BKM is what I described. I hit + and play for every tire and it works ok, typically if you let it stop and start on it’s own enough times it will reach the set pressure.

Sponsored

Ajay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for this explanation. I overinflated my bicycle tires due to this crazy user interface.

It is not intuitive, and not explained in the user manual.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
There are tire deflators that you can set to a specific psi that will deflate and stop at a preset psi. They come in a set of 4. I seen them on a rivian review video but have no experience with them.

here’s a set of them. I don’t how high of setting you can get. These ones max out at 30 psi

Rivian R1T R1S Compressor doesn't stop when reaching target FE5A45D5-9858-404E-89E9-2CEB612F58DF
Sponsored