First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Nice to see it held up well in the dunes on 21s. Did you have any issues with nearly getting stuck or anything?
Didn't get stuck but I was fairly cautious because we had a couple of days of the journey ahead of us and I was not carrying recovery boards. The marked trail was a blast. At one point the trail started to climb in softer sand and I sensed a little slippage. That's where we turned around.

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

He also had some fun in the sand dunes, so that might bring down his overall efficiency too.
That’s exactly right. Here’s how efficient I was (or wasn’t) while driving in the sand. Note that I was NOT concerned with range efficiency while enjoying the R1T in the sand, nor should anyone.
Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_7474

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
We did a similar trip in December but all the way to San Diego. Got 2.22 for the roundtrip on 22s. Coast on trip down and I5 on return.
The western portion of 199 is amazing! Huge ass trees right up to edge of road

gutsack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Sounds like an awesome trip, and very good to hear about the positive experience all around. We just got our R1T two weeks ago here in the Portland area, but we're planning our first drive down to Crater Lake soon and excited to do more up-and-down-the-coast trips as well.

OP
OP

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Sounds like an awesome trip, and very good to hear about the positive experience all around. We just got our R1T two weeks ago here in the Portland area, but we're planning our first drive down to Crater Lake soon and excited to do more up-and-down-the-coast trips as well.
Congratulations on your new R1T. Happy adventuring. I am in the Portland/Hood River area frequently so perhaps we will see each other on the road.

Sponsored

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
Completed a wonderful 15 day trip down the West from Seattle to the Bay area and back in my R1T with wife and brother as co-pilots. It was the first long road trip. We covered over 2500 miles in early April weather - mix of snow, rain and some glorious spring days. The R1T with 21" tires performed admirably over the trip, reaffirming our confidence in the truck.
Some highlights:
  • Used the 'Conserve' mode a majority of the time, which netted us about 2.13 miles/kwh.
  • Got to see some of the mythical RAN Charging Sites for the first time (why don't we have any in WA?). They work as advertised.
  • The much-maligned Tonneau cover actually does a darn good job at keeping out the rain despite Rivian not officially claiming that it is weather proof. And the power mechanism stalls frequently but did not actually fail on me despite a good amount of use.
  • We used the A/C power in the bed to power a small 20L refrigerator from Alpicool. There is no discernible impact on power consumption so I think we'll be using this more.
  • Highway 101 and some of the coastal highways of OR and CA are a joy to drive in the Rivian.
  • Auto-high beam hugely useful driving down 199 at night.
  • Visited the Oregon dunes on the return trip and ventured out onto ATV tracks briefly to try out the the soft-sand mode. Worked pretty well in this limited trial.
  • Rivian as an office - My brother joined a two hour video conference on his laptop from the back seat, while we were driving down I-5 in Southern OR. Laptop was plugged into the rear AC outlet and used the Rivian's hotspot. Quite an enabler.
  • Adaptive cruise control - all three drivers used this extensively and found it an effective reducer of fatigue. I tried the lane tracking a few times but still find it a little scary and apt to turn off.
  • Overall cost was about $130 for charging! We used RAN in 4 locations, complementary in-hotel L2 charging in one and discounted "Pass Plus" 36c per kwh from Electrify Americal super chargers for the rest.
A few low-lights:
  • Nav generally worked pretty well but required cellular connectivity and there were some areas near the coast where the truck lost connectivity. This seems a shortcoming for an adventure truck.
  • Took a while to work out some kinks in EA charging. I think this was EA's problem - my EA app would sometimes get stuck thinking a charging session was in progress when the truck was miles away. The phone support from EA was responsive. I sure wish Rivian would work out something with EA so Rivian owners can drive up, connect and get auto-identified and auto-billed without using the EA mobile app. (Umm, like Tesla owners).
  • I scraped my front wheel against a high curb trying to take a turn that would have been a cinch in my car. Still this undoubtedly was driver error.

IMG_5958.JPEG

IMG_6203.JPEG

IMG_6221.JPEG
I'm planning on a family road trip in the summer from Southern California to Portland. Any tips as far as charging goes, or must see/do from SF to Portland area?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

What do you think is causing the low efficiency in the 21"? Mph seems pretty reasonable.
15 days. Off-roading. 80 MPH.
If you let the Rivian sit with the power on, the mi per kwh will go down as it gets calculated in. 2.1, for a 15 day trip, assuming it wasn't reset and included all stops, is actually pretty good. Mine, I can get 2.5 to 2.7, but if I sit anywhere with the power on for a few hours, that number drops into the 1's.

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
Nice trip summary. I’ll be going Bend to Temecula in May. I drive around 15k miles a year up and down the west (daughter is a competitive equestrian), and have logged close to 80k in my Gen 2 Raptor ... which eats highway miles like they’re nothing. This will be my first EV road trip experiment. I’m excited and nervous. Normally I’m a point A to B driver, and run 80-85 on the interstate, doing this familiar trip in the R1T will take a different mindset.

Last edited:

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

@gj_washington Thanks for the trip info. I was curious how you attached the flag pole for you trip in the dunes? I'm looking for a clean and secure way to mount a dune flag to my R1T.
I designed & 3D printed a flag holder for my R1T. It wedges into the tonneau cover slot and is held in place with one of the bolts in the bed. I used it for one day at Pismo, including some street driving around town & a little on the freeway, and it worked great. I’d be glad to share the file or give away my extra copy to another beach going R1T owner.
Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_0129
Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_0132
Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_0130
Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_0134

OP
OP

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
We did a similar trip in December but all the way to San Diego. Got 2.22 for the roundtrip on 22s. Coast on trip down and I5 on return.
The western portion of 199 is amazing! Huge ass trees right up to edge of road
R1T was right at home amongst the Redwoods at the Jedediah Smith Park

Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_5966.JPEG

Sponsored

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Completed a wonderful 15 day trip down the West from Seattle to the Bay area and back in my R1T with wife and brother as co-pilots. It was the first long road trip. We covered over 2500 miles in early April weather - mix of snow, rain and some glorious spring days. The R1T with 21" tires performed admirably over the trip, reaffirming our confidence in the truck.
Some highlights:
  • Used the 'Conserve' mode a majority of the time, which netted us about 2.13 miles/kwh.
  • Got to see some of the mythical RAN Charging Sites for the first time (why don't we have any in WA?). They work as advertised.
  • The much-maligned Tonneau cover actually does a darn good job at keeping out the rain despite Rivian not officially claiming that it is weather proof. And the power mechanism stalls frequently but did not actually fail on me despite a good amount of use.
  • We used the A/C power in the bed to power a small 20L refrigerator from Alpicool. There is no discernible impact on power consumption so I think we'll be using this more.
  • Highway 101 and some of the coastal highways of OR and CA are a joy to drive in the Rivian.
  • Auto-high beam hugely useful driving down 199 at night.
  • Visited the Oregon dunes on the return trip and ventured out onto ATV tracks briefly to try out the the soft-sand mode. Worked pretty well in this limited trial.
  • Rivian as an office - My brother joined a two hour video conference on his laptop from the back seat, while we were driving down I-5 in Southern OR. Laptop was plugged into the rear AC outlet and used the Rivian's hotspot. Quite an enabler.
  • Adaptive cruise control - all three drivers used this extensively and found it an effective reducer of fatigue. I tried the lane tracking a few times but still find it a little scary and apt to turn off.
  • Overall cost was about $130 for charging! We used RAN in 4 locations, complementary in-hotel L2 charging in one and discounted "Pass Plus" 36c per kwh from Electrify Americal super chargers for the rest.
A few low-lights:
  • Nav generally worked pretty well but required cellular connectivity and there were some areas near the coast where the truck lost connectivity. This seems a shortcoming for an adventure truck.
  • Took a while to work out some kinks in EA charging. I think this was EA's problem - my EA app would sometimes get stuck thinking a charging session was in progress when the truck was miles away. The phone support from EA was responsive. I sure wish Rivian would work out something with EA so Rivian owners can drive up, connect and get auto-identified and auto-billed without using the EA mobile app. (Umm, like Tesla owners).
  • I scraped my front wheel against a high curb trying to take a turn that would have been a cinch in my car. Still this undoubtedly was driver error.

IMG_5958.JPEG

IMG_6203.JPEG

IMG_6221.JPEG
Sounds like a pretty sweet trip. Bet the dunes were a lot of fun. Got any other trips planned?

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
Great info......
gj_washington
Any more advice for doing a very similar road trip?

Doing Whidbey Island, WA to Carlsbad, CA round trip starting May 13th for two weeks with my
wife as copilot.

Doesn't going up Grants Pass or Lake Shasta lower the range significantly? 20 percent?

Will repeat your HWY 101 down the Coast........Should I think about cutting over to I-5 in
central California?

For 3000 miles plus. I Estimate over $525 in charging costs......
I was expecting between 2.1 and 2.2 miles/kwh.....21 inch tires also, will also be mostly conserve mode.
Since I missed the free RAN..........what is the KWH rate for RAN?
EA network has been hit or miss for me.......many stalls non op, but will use mainly if RAN not available.
What Hotel network or motels gave complementary Level 2 charging on the West Coast?
Stayed at a Best Western in Renton and they had a Blink System.....no bueno

Duckman

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
15 days. Off-roading. 80 MPH.
If you let the Rivian sit with the power on, the mi per kwh will go down as it gets calculated in. 2.1, for a 15 day trip, assuming it wasn't reset and included all stops, is actually pretty good. Mine, I can get 2.5 to 2.7, but if I sit anywhere with the power on for a few hours, that number drops into the 1's.
Yup, I have noticed that. sitting with the power on (I can't figure out how to turn it off without exiting the truck) reduces your range significantly.

OP
OP

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Great info......
gj_washington
Any more advice for doing a very similar road trip?

Doing Whidbey Island, WA to Carlsbad, CA round trip starting May 13th for two weeks with my
wife as copilot.

Doesn't going up Grants Pass or Lake Shasta lower the range significantly? 20 percent?

Will repeat your HWY 101 down the Coast........Should I think about cutting over to I-5 in
central California?

For 3000 miles plus. I Estimate over $525 in charging costs......
I was expecting between 2.1 and 2.2 miles/kwh.....21 inch tires also, will also be mostly conserve mode.
Since I missed the free RAN..........what is the KWH rate for RAN?
EA network has been hit or miss for me.......many stalls non op, but will use mainly if RAN not available.
What Hotel network or motels gave complementary Level 2 charging on the West Coast?
Stayed at a Best Western in Renton and they had a Blink System.....no bueno
We had overnight stops in Ashland (OR), Crescent City, Fort Bragg, Sonoma, Redding, Coos Bay, Portland (OR).
Definitely recommend the coast but it could get exhausting if you did it the whole way so I would plan around where you want to spend time first and then figure out the charger situation.
Oregon dunes were fantastic (between Coos Bay and Lincoln City). Redwoods were magnficent. Lake Shasta and the Shasta caverns are worth seeing. I would recommend at least one route via wine country - Napa, Sonoma, Santa Rosa to enjoy the vistas even if you're not a wine person.
Mountain roads will reduce your range but perhaps less than 20 percent unless you're touching 80. And you will recover some energy on the downhills of course. On the highways, I think its the speed that makes the most difference to range. If you use the nav to key in a destination, I found that the estimated range on arrival number is the most useful and accurate number as it takes into account expected driving speeds etc.
"Missed the free RAN" - have they started billing? When we visited the RANs in April they had no mechanism to bill. For EA, make sure to sign for the 'Plus' subscription. It costs just $4 and gets you 36c/kwh instead of 48c/kwh (if I recall). You should recover the cost on your first charge. Another EA tip: look for charging stations marked "Hyper" which go over 150kw. Many of them are 'Ultra' which are also OK but slower than RAN. And finally, don't hesitate to call the support number on the station. We used that a lot and most of the time they were able to help.
I discovered that hotels.com lets you search on hotels with EV charging. We ended up booking most of our accomodations via hotels.com for that trivial reason. Now your mileage may vary (literally :)) with respect to the actual charger. One place had a NEMA 14-50 and charged $20, others had J1772 and were complementary. Rarely did we see more than two chargers so they could easily be in use when you need them.
Happy driving, Craig, and post a report when you're done!
Sponsored