First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Completed a wonderful 15 day trip down the West from Seattle to the Bay area and back in my R1T with wife and brother as co-pilots. It was the first long road trip. We covered over 2500 miles in early April weather - mix of snow, rain and some glorious spring days. The R1T with 21" tires performed admirably over the trip, reaffirming our confidence in the truck.
Some highlights:
  • Used the 'Conserve' mode a majority of the time, which netted us about 2.13 miles/kwh.
  • Got to see some of the mythical RAN Charging Sites for the first time (why don't we have any in WA?). They work as advertised.
  • The much-maligned Tonneau cover actually does a darn good job at keeping out the rain despite Rivian not officially claiming that it is weather proof. And the power mechanism stalls frequently but did not actually fail on me despite a good amount of use.
  • We used the A/C power in the bed to power a small 20L refrigerator from Alpicool. There is no discernible impact on power consumption so I think we'll be using this more.
  • Highway 101 and some of the coastal highways of OR and CA are a joy to drive in the Rivian.
  • Auto-high beam hugely useful driving down 199 at night.
  • Visited the Oregon dunes on the return trip and ventured out onto ATV tracks briefly to try out the the soft-sand mode. Worked pretty well in this limited trial.
  • Rivian as an office - My brother joined a two hour video conference on his laptop from the back seat, while we were driving down I-5 in Southern OR. Laptop was plugged into the rear AC outlet and used the Rivian's hotspot. Quite an enabler.
  • Adaptive cruise control - all three drivers used this extensively and found it an effective reducer of fatigue. I tried the lane tracking a few times but still find it a little scary and apt to turn off.
  • Overall cost was about $130 for charging! We used RAN in 4 locations, complementary in-hotel L2 charging in one and discounted "Pass Plus" 36c per kwh from Electrify Americal super chargers for the rest.
A few low-lights:
  • Nav generally worked pretty well but required cellular connectivity and there were some areas near the coast where the truck lost connectivity. This seems a shortcoming for an adventure truck.
  • Took a while to work out some kinks in EA charging. I think this was EA's problem - my EA app would sometimes get stuck thinking a charging session was in progress when the truck was miles away. The phone support from EA was responsive. I sure wish Rivian would work out something with EA so Rivian owners can drive up, connect and get auto-identified and auto-billed without using the EA mobile app. (Umm, like Tesla owners).
  • I scraped my front wheel against a high curb trying to take a turn that would have been a cinch in my car. Still this undoubtedly was driver error.

Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_5958.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_6203.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Completed wonderful 2 Week R1T Road Trip: WA-OR-CA IMG_6221.JPEG
Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Nice to see it held up well in the dunes on 21s. Did you have any issues with nearly getting stuck or anything?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
What do you think is causing the low efficiency in the 21"? Mph seems pretty reasonable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
What do you think is causing the low efficiency in the 21"? Mph seems pretty reasonable.
What numbers would you expect? Some factors that could affect the efficiency:
Speed - we didn't go over 80 mph but there were long sections over 70. Average speed doesn't tell the whole story.
Temperature - Temperature was in the low 40s for much of the journey.
Weight - There were three passengers and maybe about a 100 lb of cargo. Maybe we raised the truck weight by about 10% so I doubt this had a big impact.

Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
What numbers would you expect? Some factors that could affect the efficiency:
Speed - we didn't go over 80 mph but there were long sections over 70. Average speed doesn't tell the whole story.
Temperature - Temperature was in the low 40s for much of the journey.
Weight - There were three passengers and maybe about a 100 lb of cargo. Maybe we raised the truck weight by about 10% so I doubt this had a big impact.
Closer to 2.5 which would get you to 325 miles of range or so. It's round trip so you would think elevation impact is minor.

I'm assuming it's because of speed and temperature

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS
Closer to 2.5 which would get you to 325 miles of range or so. It's round trip so you would think elevation impact is minor.

I'm assuming it's because of speed and temperature
He also had some fun in the sand dunes, so that might bring down his overall efficiency too.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

All I do is drive from one jobsite to the next each day. Am insanely jealous of you getting to take this trip. Can you post more pictures so the rest of us can continue to live vicariously through you? 😄

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Visited the Oregon dunes on the return trip and ventured out onto ATV tracks briefly to try out the the soft-sand mode. Worked pretty well in this limited trial.
@gj_washington Thanks for the trip info. I was curious how you attached the flag pole for you trip in the dunes? I'm looking for a clean and secure way to mount a dune flag to my R1T.

OP
OP

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
@gj_washington Thanks for the trip info. I was curious how you attached the flag pole for you trip in the dunes? I'm looking for a clean and secure way to mount a dune flag to my R1T.
This was low-tech :). Left a gap in the window and rear seat passenger held the pole. If you do discover a good way to secure it I'd love to know because I hope to go back some day.
Sponsored