No​
No​
Yes​
8532​
1623​
6909​
attached photos​

pat----

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) PXL_20220730_133342092

Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) PXL_20220720_144603037.PORTRAIT - edited VIN

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It might not even be a structural concern. Could be handling, the impact of higher weight on efficiency, keeping the GVWR to a certain class, any number of things. The impression I’ve got from seeing various videos and so on, though, is you can load these trucks down with as much stuff as you can jam in and they’ll handle it.
I had looked into this a few years ago because I was curious as to what really factors into determining GVWR when we were buying an Isuzu NPR box truck at work. Basically everything. Length of vehicle, tires, axle, frame design, and since both the US and Canadian government stick their fingers in it, probably paint color affects GVWR too, lol.

"For light-duty trucks, the GVWR is pre-determined from the specific selected axle/suspension, wheel/tire combination, wheelbase, frame, frame reinforcements, etc. Light-duty frames are complex designs that maximize the strength and rigidity of the vehicle while minimizing the weight of the complete frame assembly. Frames are formed to achieve a lower vehicle profile, and some frame assemblies incorporate multi-piece designs, with variable depth sections that allow the manufacturer to provide additional strength, where required. The light-duty chassis may have to comply with up to 17 additional Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS)/Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 571 requirements that can complicate the determination of the chassis GVWR."

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I had looked into this a few years ago because I was curious as to what really factors into determining GVWR when we were buying an Isuzu NPR box truck at work. Basically everything. Length of vehicle, tires, axle, frame design, and since both the US and Canadian government stick their fingers in it, probably paint color affects GVWR too, lol.

"For light-duty trucks, the GVWR is pre-determined from the specific selected axle/suspension, wheel/tire combination, wheelbase, frame, frame reinforcements, etc. Light-duty frames are complex designs that maximize the strength and rigidity of the vehicle while minimizing the weight of the complete frame assembly. Frames are formed to achieve a lower vehicle profile, and some frame assemblies incorporate multi-piece designs, with variable depth sections that allow the manufacturer to provide additional strength, where required. The light-duty chassis may have to comply with up to 17 additional Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS)/Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 571 requirements that can complicate the determination of the chassis GVWR."
Welp, off to read FMVSS/CMVSS 571 🫠🫠🫠

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
21" Road Wheels
Power Tonneau
On-Road Underbody

Without Spare
Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) IMG_5007

With Spare
Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) IMG_5204

Sponsored

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Well, the tongue weight/tow rating is stated as being a structural one (Rivian says the hitch and Rear chassis can safely withstand this much).

I suspect going a few hundred lbs over gross won’t hurt much.

@KootenayEV good thing you don’t have a heavier trailer, closer to the tow limit, you have to get a class 3 license 😂
Sorry could you clarify your Class 3 comment? The only thing I've ever found at ICBC is a requirement for the trailer to be under 4600... kilograms (for a regular Class 5). My weights listed in my original post are pounds.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Sorry could you clarify your Class 3 comment? The only thing I've ever found at ICBC is a requirement for the trailer to be under 4600... kilograms (for a regular Class 5). My weights listed in my original post are pounds.
If you had a trailer approaching the rivian’s tow rating you’d need a class 3 Licence.

Interestingly per the wording on ICBC website it applies a trailer over ~4600kg. Here in MB, it is the combination GVW (tow vehicle + trailer) over ~4600kg that kicks in the requirement to have a class 3 license. .

of course no one towing a camper, or, like my sister, enormous gooseneck horse trailer, bothers with this and it doesn’t seem to be enforced.

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
If you had a trailer approaching the rivian’s tow rating you’d need a class 3 Licence.

Interestingly per the wording on ICBC website it applies a trailer over ~4600kg. Here in MB, it is the combination GVW (tow vehicle + trailer) over ~4600kg that kicks in the requirement to have a class 3 license. .

of course no one towing a camper, or, like my sister, enormous gooseneck horse trailer, bothers with this and it doesn’t seem to be enforced.
Ah gotcha, I thought you were referencing my specific comment about towing my trailer close to its GVWR of 5,000 lbs.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I've been combing through forum posts and Facebook groups for a few hours to collate the various payload values I was seeing. I've put my table below with links to sources. If you have additional information, please post the payload sticker in the thread and I'll add it to the table. Hope this helps others out there! (background on why I care below)

Weights in lbs
ConfigSpare?Skid plate?Powered Tonneau?GVWRPayloadCurb (calc)Source
20" AT Quad LargeYYY
8532​
1324​
7208​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeNYY
8532​
1419​
7113​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeYN?
8532​
1464​
7068​
Link
20" AT Quad LargeNNY
8532​
1559​
6973​
Link
21" AS Quad LargeYNY
8532​
1543​
6989​
FBook group link (can't link post directly)
21" AS Quad LargeYYN
8532​
1402​
7130​
Link
21" AS Quad LargeNNY
8532​
1623​
6909​
Link
22" AS Quad LargeYYY
8532​
1387​
7145​
Link
22" AS Quad LargeYN?
8532​
1527​
7005​
Link

Options weights:
20" spare + jack = 95 lbs
21" spare + jack? = 80 lbs (calc from above is 80 lbs, but R website lists it as 79 lbs)
22" spare + jack = ??
skid plate = 140 lbs
tonneau = 0 lbs! (seems they HAVE NOT included the removal of the powered tonneau in payload rating, at least for recent trucks, late 2022)

Background for our use case:
We are a family of four, with two rapidly growing teen boys. We mountain bike, climb, paddle, hike, etc. So, whenever we do a road trip, we tend to have a fair amount of gear with us (check out one of my blog posts, scroll down to the photos).

We also bought a travel trailer last year, an Airstream Flying Cloud 20FB with a dry weight of ~4,200 lbs, GVWR of 5,000 lbs and tongue weight of about 680 lbs. After multiple trips with the trailer (>30 nights last year), with varying amounts of outdoor gear, weighing it almost every trip, we have found that we often have the trailer almost at GVWR, and the tongue weight at about 650lbs after factoring in the weight-distribution hitch. Our truck has been from around 200lbs under the GVWR to basically right at GVWR (2010 Honda Ridgeline), and it has a payload rating of 1575lbs.

So! I am concerned about the advertised payloads I've been seeing for the R1T, and that is only for the Large pack thus far, and we have a reservation for a Max pack.

Edit: added photo of tow rig and gear in the truck.

IMG_7156.jpg
I put the R1T on CAT scales today so these are actuals.

22" Wheels / No Spare / On-Road / Powered Cover w/ 210lb driver.

Front Axle: 3700lb
Rear Axle: 3480lb
Total Gross Weight: 7180lb

Calculated Payload Capacity (after removing driver weight): 1562lb
Calculated Gross Weight w/o Driver: 6970lb

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I put the R1T on CAT scales today so these are actuals.

22" Wheels / No Spare / On-Road / Powered Cover w/ 210lb driver.

Front Axle: 3700lb
Rear Axle: 3480lb
Total Gross Weight: 7180lb

Calculated Payload Capacity (after removing driver weight): 1562lb
Calculated Gross Weight w/o Driver: 6970lb
Awesome info - does the calculated payload match up with what is on your sticker? (I don't have your config in the table yet)

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Awesome info - does the calculated payload match up with what is on your sticker? (I don't have your config in the table yet)
No...but that's because I didn't go to the scales with my stickered configuration.

My stickered config is 21" / On Road / Spare / Powered Cover with a payload of 1543lbs.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I ran through the CAT scales with my 25ft front bedroom airstream. The trailer had partial tanks filled, the truck bed was empty. Looks like I have about 300 lbs to spare. I have the 20" tires and a spare in the bed with the power tonneau. I should have dropped the trailer and gone through again, maybe next time.
Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) PXL_20220625_012021632
Rivian R1T R1S Compiled payload ratings for R1T (GVWR, GAWR, Payload Stickers) Screenshot_20230125-142339

OP
OP
KootenayEV

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I ran through the CAT scales with my 25ft front bedroom airstream. The trailer had partial tanks filled, the truck bed was empty. Looks like I have about 300 lbs to spare. I have the 20" tires and a spare in the bed with the power tonneau. I should have dropped the trailer and gone through again, maybe next time.
PXL_20220625_012021632.jpg
Screenshot_20230125-142339.png
That's the trailer my wife wanted us to buy! We ended up with the 20FB instead... at least for now. Thanks for posting, good info.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
PXL_20220625_012021632.jpg
Screenshot_20230125-142339.png
This is super helpful. What's the UVW and GVWR of the trailer?

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
This is super helpful. What's the UVW and GVWR of the trailer?
I don't have easy access to the trailer now, but airstream says the GVWR is 7300 lbs with a net carrying capacity of 1700 lbs putting an empty trailer at 5600 lbs. The only bigger mod I've done with mine is replacing the heavy lead-acid batteries on the tongue with lithium under the front bed inside.

If I had to ballpark the empty weight, I'm guessing the tongue is 800 lbs and the CAT scale shows 5580 with some water in the tanks but none of our gear makes it 6380 empty.

I can be more scientific about it this spring if others are interested.
Sponsored