First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So how much of a self-centered luddite does one have to be to consider something like this Tacoma toy - which will still be on the road burning gasoline in 2045 - when there are a flood of new electric trucks pouring onto the market? Yes, there are people who will need a work truck now, when the EV equivalent is not available or affordable, but this thing? No. Just no.
EVs are still super new and more people than not have ever driven one. Not to mention all the smug jerks who own EVs and run around judging others for their vehicle choice. Those people are a MASSIVE turn off to EV adoption for the general public. People will be converted by finding out how much better an EV is over an ICE engine. How much nicer it drives, how much cheaper it is to run, how much easier it is to always have a "full tank" with a filling station right at your house and how easy and relaxing one pedal is.

Calling people self centered and luddites isn't a great look, and in the grand scheme of things does much more to turn people off EVs than to get people to buy one.
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So how much of a self-centered luddite does one have to be to consider something like this Tacoma toy - which will still be on the road burning gasoline in 2045 - when there are a flood of new electric trucks pouring onto the market? Yes, there are people who will need a work truck now, when the EV equivalent is not available or affordable, but this thing? No. Just no.
Dang, and here I was forgetting about how buying $100k EV trucks is the only way to save the environment. There’s just the simple fact that even in 2045 this Tacoma will still have many advantages over a 2024 R1T.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
EVs are still super new and more people than not have ever driven one. Not to mention all the smug jerks who own EVs and run around judging others for their vehicle choice. Those people are a MASSIVE turn off to EV adoption for the general public. People will be converted by finding out how much better an EV is over an ICE engine. How much nicer it drives, how much cheaper it is to run, how much easier it is to always have a "full tank" with a filling station right at your house and how easy and relaxing one pedal is.

Calling people self centered and luddites isn't a great look, and in the grand scheme of things does much more to turn people off EVs than to get people to buy one.
I just feel smug over the Tesla bois.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Holy balls the entitlement some of you have. This truck isn't competition for the R1T in any way. This truck is probably going to cap out around $55K, not $100K+. We all can't afford one of these wildly expensive EV trucks. Then you have to factor in actually using it for truck things like towing longer distances with them through DCFC deserts.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I think it looks good but I'm burned out on the "mean" look that a lot of these vehicles have. What I love about the R1's and Jeeps, for example, is they have a happy, friendly look to them. They don't have the massive oversized build with squinty headlights that look angry. I feel like the new Tundra, Tacoma, and the Ram are all very guilty of this look, same with the raptor.

Hope this post made sense :CWL:
More like decepticons than transformers… but to each their own.
autobots vs. decepticons :fist bump:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I think it looks awesome. Very aggressive looking without being totally over the top.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP

Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make anyone a luddite to stick with ICE in 2023. EV infrastructure is still crap and unless your use case is strictly commuting and/or running local errands, then ICE is still the better option.

Personally, I've made the decision to stick with ICE for my next new vehicle purchase (probably within a year or maybe two at most) simply because EVs need to improve before I'm spending my money on one. Does that make me a luddite? No, not really. I embrace new technology....but I'm not going to be a beta tester for them. Once the technology matures, I'll be all in.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I mean, IMO, it looks much better than the current version. Wonder if the changes will carry over to the next 4Runner release?

plugmein33

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, C4S, Raptor, Cayman, RS6, R1T.
Occupation
Trade
Well this thing seems to be designed to look like the Raptor and TRX. I just saw a bunch of the Ranger Raptors in South Africa and it is a great looking vehicle. But, the new Tacoma, maybe the old IDK, offers a manual transmission which is intriguing. Going to pick one of them while sadly choosing to cancel my Rivian order.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I mean, IMO, it looks much better than the current version. Wonder if the changes will carry over to the next 4Runner release?
You mean the always 2-3 years away next gen 4Runner? Seems like Toyota is content on selling a 14 year old model (and people are still buying them). If they came out with an EV 4Runner I would have that instead of my R1T. But Toyota seems uninterested in EVs so I'm guessing the 4Runner will be discontinued before there is an EV version.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Before I bought the R1T I asked about when they would redesign the inside of the Tacoma, and was told by the dealer, not till 2025. I drove a 2006 Tacoma for 12 years as my daily ride and love the platform, but they have been slow to update it. No hybrid options, no upgraded interior, no large screen.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
You mean the always 2-3 years away next gen 4Runner? Seems like Toyota is content on selling a 14 year old model (and people are still buying them). If they came out with an EV 4Runner I would have that instead of my R1T. But Toyota seems uninterested in EVs so I'm guessing the 4Runner will be discontinued before there is an EV version.
Current rumor is they’re bringing the Land Cruiser Prado (LC 250) to the US to replace the current 4Runner. The 4Runner will shrink to compete with wrangler and Bronco. That 4Runner will be offered in an EV along with this generation of Tacoma, that can be seen in the EV press release from last winter.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
Looks frickin awesome. Wonder if they’ll be able to push the fuel economy above 24mpg with the hybrid.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Looks frickin awesome. Wonder if they’ll be able to push the fuel economy above 24mpg with the hybrid.
Toyota only teased the I-Force max badge, if they use the 3.5 (please 6lb baby Jesus strap that 437hp/583lb-ft motor to that truck) then I doubt it. If they end up with the 2.4 out of the crown/highlander then I wouldn’t be surprised to see 30mpg.
Sponsored