First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Where are people plugging in their phones now that the drivers side USB-C is in use?
Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
It’s the hit and run cases that concern me most. That’s a real problem around here
I live in LA County and that is exactly the concern... Unfortunately, we have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage to pay for the Hit N Runs, because even if you catch these guys, they don't have insurance or are under insured.

This Dash cam with all it's angles is good enough to determine fault..

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Where are people plugging in their phones now that the drivers side USB-C is in use?
I use the magback charger/mount plugged into the 12v under dash.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
So this is the best solution the software and hardware group at Rivian could come up with and thought this would be an acceptable solution.

This is the same group of people who think they can build a better UI/OS than Google or Apple.

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Is there a way to upgrade the stock rivian cameras with new 4k ones?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Get a USB-C splitter, Make sure one of the splitter is for charging and the other is for data. You can easily get one on amazon for 10 bucks.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Unfortunately, illegal in my state unless I have two party consent.
There’s a public square exception usually to those laws. You don’t have an expectation of privacy in public the only exception would be if you were monetizing the footage which you aren’t. You can record in public.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I live in LA County and that is exactly the concern... Unfortunately, we have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage to pay for the Hit N Runs, because even if you catch these guys, they don't have insurance or are under insured.

This Dash cam with all it's angles is good enough to determine fault..
I agree that hit & runs are a big problem nowadays in California, both while parked and driving. I also agree with you that having good uninsured motorist insurance coverage is the best defense.

Unfortunately in 2023 California, video footage is not going to help for most hit & runs. Video is not as helpful as it used to be here for most crimes, because district attorneys & judges refuse to prosecute, and because of this police aren’t as responsive. However, I‘d still prefer to have video footage because it would be helpful for accidents with insured drivers or major crimes.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There’s a public square exception usually to those laws. You don’t have an expectation of privacy in public the only exception would be if you were monetizing the footage which you aren’t. You can record in public.
For video, I agree. For audio, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I know Rivian is in cost cutting mode to stay afloat. However, the camera system might be the first place where they decide to eat the extra $30-50 per vehicle to get a solid set of cameras on there.

My only question is, in order to process the higher resolution (data) would they need to upgrade the computing system? That would be a little more.

I'll take it better than nothing but if the license plates cant be captured at close range, renders the feature far less useful.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Footage is ok, the audio conversation between two people alone on the side of the road is still a private conversation and a problem.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
For video, I agree. For audio, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Very correct. And this is specific to the state you live in, and is not true in the majority of US states (vast majority are one party consent so merely having the drivers permission or your own is adequate).