Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Comparison still photos captured from my aftermarket Viofo A139 Pro 4K front and rear camera compared to Rivian DriveCam images. Still shots of same drive, and also zoomed in on license plates for detail…

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6297

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) Capture

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6303

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6304

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6305

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6306
Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6298

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) Capture2

Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6302
Rivian R1T R1S Comparison images: Rivian Drive Cam vs. Aftermarket Dash Cam (+ video samples added) IMG_6301

Admin Update:

Added Rivian Drive Cam videos posted by @Electric Rivilution

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

**** that's terrible. I've been holding off on installing my dash came from previous vehicle. Guess I'll be doing that this weekend.

Also no angle from the windshield mounted camera?

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Also no angle from the windshield mounted camera?
All I'm getting recorded on my R1S micro SD card is 4 camera angles, front (which is the fish-eye in the grill above the license plate), both sides, and rear. (All fish-eye). Don't get me wrong, I love the redundancy with my aftermarket cam, especially the side views, but the detail is potatoes comparatively.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm glad they implemented dashcam functionality... But that resolution is really disappointing.

Sponsored

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Guess I'll be moving my Vanture N4 3 Channel 4K Dash Cam from my '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (leased by the company I work for) to my R1S when it arrives. I hope Rivian is working on "Drive Cam 2.0" soon. Their system is still better than nothing. :cool:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Can someone tell Rivian that 1984 called and they want their 480p resolution back?

WTF!?

beinenson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I will activate this for sure, but leaving my 4K BlackVue for being the main camera. The issue with Rivian's app, is that it does not capture Audio. Other Dashcams and in my case BlackVue do. Why is that important? Well when you dealing with authorities, he said, she said, come very handy in court.

Sponsored

crymearivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

@opnwide Thanks for sharing! This is great and reaffirms my decision to install a dashcam. Would you mind sharing details about your dashcam setup?

Where do you have the dashcam mounted? Center or left/right offset? Do you have a picture?

Are you using USB/12V to power the dashcam or is it hardwired? If it is hardwired, would you mind sharing which fuse you’re using?

After some research, I decided to pickup the same 2CH VIofo A139 Pro w/Powercell 8 Battery instead of my usual Thinkware setup. Any lessons learned or details would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
@opnwide Thanks for sharing! This is great and reaffirms my decision to install a dashcam. Would you mind sharing details about your dashcam setup?

Where do you have the dashcam mounted? Center or left/right offset? Do you have a picture?
Yes, let me get back to you with details. In short, 12V plug under dash. (I’m lucky that I got mine delivered with it). I’ve got 8 irons in the fire right now but give me a bit. Glad to help.
Are you using USB/12V to power the dashcam or is it hardwired? If it is hardwired, would you mind sharing which fuse you’re using?

After some research, I decided to pickup the same 2CH VIofo A139 Pro w/Powercell 8 Battery instead of my usual Thinkware setup. Any lessons learned or details would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Yes, let me get back to you, I’ve got 8 irons in the fire right now. In short, yes 12 v under the dash. Not hardwired. I’ll get some more specific info soon for you.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
A139 pro is a $200-300 dashcam. The Rivian cameras do sort of suck, because they were made for a different purpose, and I suspect they will enhance them in a future model now that dashcam is a feature.

It's nice to have the side cameras, and they may be able to "flatten" them in post-processing, but outside of not being able to read license plates they work fine for their intended he-said she-said purpose. A pretty grainy image works fine to settle most incidents unless Youtube is your goal.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I will activate this for sure, but leaving my 4K BlackVue for being the main camera. The issue with Rivian's app, is that it does not capture Audio. Other Dashcams and in my case BlackVue do. Why is that important? Well when you dealing with authorities, he said, she said, come very handy in court.
Unfortunately, illegal in my state unless I have two party consent.

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I'm keeping my dashcam installed. I figured it would not compare to a standard dash cam. A fisheye lens crams in a lot of information into a small sensor. You would need a separate camera with a 22 to 35-mm lens. That's why every 360 video on youtube looks blurry. It's still a good companion to an aftermarket dashcam.

Don't waste your money on expensive dash cams. They all use the same sensors.

I am using this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZNL2WT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored