Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Someone on one of the Facebook groups asked a good question about people moving from a higher-end 2019 1500 Limited. I like the question and tried to provide a detailed answer. I'd love to hear other thoughts if they also moved from a newer, higher-end truck. Here's my list:

Things I love about my R1T:
  • The smooth and crazy fast acceleration (hated the low first gear in the RAM)
  • Much quieter at every speed, less wind noise on the highway
  • Horizontal screens and software are way nicer than the landscape RAM screen
  • Didn't realize how much I would love having a frunk. Use it all the time!
  • Fit and finish--even though the RAM is very nice. Rivian feels luxurious.
  • Air suspension modes are more dramatic. Love the way the Rivian works and looks.
  • I'm shocked how much time I save not going to the gas station
  • I'm glad I'm not paying for gas right now
  • OTA software updates work & software doesn't feel kludged together

Things I miss about the RAM:
  • The bed size, even though my RAM was only a 5.5' (Rivian bed is stupid small)
  • Sunroof can open and you can cover it
  • Back seat is roomier... it's not awkward if 3 coworkers sit in the back.
  • I prefer the way the back seats fold and open the back up for dogs, etc.
  • Full-size rear doors, rear seats recline, rear seats ventilated
  • Rails in the bed of the truck
  • CarPlay--and the better mobile apps for both maps & music that come with it
  • Wireless charger actually works
  • Running boards
  • Gas pumps just work. I feel like a beta tester at most fast chargers.

Overall, I absolutely love my Rivian and feel sad when I still have to drive the RAM. I DEFINITELY wish the Rivian had a little bigger bed and it's totally dumb they don't do CarPlay. Even still... it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I miss my parent's beat up old Dodge (pictured here in '98). One headlight sagged like a stroke victim, and the driver's door would swing open on its own on hard right turns. The passenger door was a different color and had the logo of a construction crew, so we kept a few parking cones in back and used them to park almost anywhere we wanted. Nobody dared crowd the truck in a parking lot, and we got a wide berth on the roads because we clearly had nothing to lose. The truck leaked transmission fluid, so I would occasionally get to hear the lovely engine roar as it dropped into first gear at highway speeds. And the firewall between the cab and engine did not fit well, so you always knew when the truck was close to overheating - usually when driving in first gear at highway speeds.

Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) 1998c - Beat up Picku

Last edited:

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I can hardly wait to compare my new R1T (as soon as I get it) to my current truck which is a 2020 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax.

Brian
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) DSC_0002.JPG

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Sponsored

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
That was me who asked on Facebook, Thank you for the detailed answer, I am taking delivery of my Rivian tomorrow, I did not trade in my Ram , waiting to see how do I do with Rivian, I wanted to add that my Ram has Heads up display and Camera Rear mirror ( technology package ) whish is not offered with Rivian . My Ram has the ram box which is very convenient storage option than is similar to gear tunnel or the frunk

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
2019 Tundra TRD Pro. I will miss the noises, the drama, the interior size, and most importantly - the color. Voodoo Blue is the best color ever to have been put on a truck. I will accept no arguments and will die on this hill. LOL.

It’s used like a truck, at least how I grew up using them - off-roading, hauling toys around (now it’s MTB, surf, SUP, kayaks, etc), camping, etc. Lots of house maintenance stuff. I rarely tow.

2 of our other cars are electric, btw. We get all the net driven-energy from our roof, though I’ll need to expand when the Rivian shows up in a couple months (fingers crossed).

The Rivian will be used exactly like the Tundra. I am so, so very excited to never again visit a gas station, unless they have a fast charger on site.

Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) C5B8DC80-1ADD-420B-9269-5F409733C135

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Will I derail the conversation if I bring up my Ridgeline? Is that a truck? Or an Accord with a bed?
IMO, anything that has an open-air space to store dirty stuff is “a truck.”

The Maverick is a great example. Built on a fairly generic SUV chassis, it’s proving to be an outstanding small-ish rig for any possible application. Ford will crush it if they convert that thing to hot-hybrid or medium-range EV.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I kept my 2020 Ram Limited and continue to use it for road trips and towing, I use the Rivian for daily driving duties. As good as the Rivian is, the Ram Limited interior is leaps and bounds better.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Will I derail the conversation if I bring up my Ridgeline? Is that a truck? Or an Accord with a bed?
Ridgeline is a truck. In fact, it's a good truck. I'd argue that it's the more practical truck for most people who drive trucks -- even those who insist it isn't a truck.

In my mind, The R1T takes everything that's great about the Ridgeline and +1's it, many times over.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Ridgeline is a truck. In fact, it's a good truck. I'd argue that it's the more practical truck for most people who drive trucks -- even those who insist it isn't a truck.

In my mind, The R1T takes everything that's great about the Ridgeline and +1's it, many times over.
I agree, I loved my Ridgeline. I miss a lot of the same features mentioned for the RAM by OP:

- Flat floor in the back with the seat up
- Sunroof that opens
- Rear window that opens
- Apple Carplay

Definitely not a high end truck but driving a Nissan Frontier rental while my R1T is in the shop and it is brutal, even with Carplay. I honestly feel like the difference is the equivalent of going from a modern ICE truck to a classic without power steering or fuel injection when going from the R1T to the Frontier.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
We had a Ram 1500 for a while. It was not as fancy as yours, but it had the Big horn package with the Ram Boxes and the bed rail system. It was a great truck. It was so easy to drive and park for a large size truck. It ended up having a few electrical gremlins, but overall I would by one again if I needed a gas truck.

I prefer my Rivian in every way except one. I didn't care as much when the RAM got scratched up and the bed liner was all broken in, but I have been babying the Rivian a bit. It looks so nice and future-y. I'm curious to see how it ages.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

IMO, anything that has an open-air space to store dirty stuff is “a truck.”

The Maverick is a great example. Built on a fairly generic SUV chassis, it’s proving to be an outstanding small-ish rig for any possible application. Ford will crush it if they convert that thing to hot-hybrid or medium-range EV.
So a Subaru Baja would fit this category too?