joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Hey Everyone!

I’m in need of a vehicle to get my family around while we wait for our Rivian R1T max pack sometime in 2022. I’ve never owned a truck before so I’m interested in trialing the experience before taking the plunge next year.

We’d like to use the next 9-12 months to see how we like a truck that’s about the size of an R1T and take it on some camping trips and ideally try out a bit of overlanding.

Any suggestions for a current used truck that I could buy for <15k and ideally sell again next year without depreciating too much in the process? I’m currently looking at Nissan Frontiers and Tacoma’s, but also I’d be fine with a workable SUV like a Cherokee or 4Runner. I’m new to this whole world so figured someone here might have an obvious answer for me. Thanks!
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Hey Everyone!

I’m in need of a vehicle to get my family around while we wait for our Rivian R1T max pack sometime in 2022. I’ve never owned a truck before so I’m interested in trialing the experience before taking the plunge next year.

We’d like to use the next 9-12 months to see how we like a truck that’s about the size of an R1T and take it on some camping trips and ideally try out a bit of overlanding.

Any suggestions for a current used truck that I could buy for <15k and ideally sell again next year without depreciating too much in the process? I’m currently looking at Nissan Frontiers and Tacoma’s, but also I’d be fine with a workable SUV like a Cherokee or 4Runner. I’m new to this whole world so figured someone here might have an obvious answer for me. Thanks!
Do you need a car/truck? Did you sell yours? I don't think buying a car/truck for a year is going to be financially sound. But if you have to then a Tacoma would be the most logical choice.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Hey Everyone!

Joel,
I'd probably try to find a Tacoma, but would definitely recommend trying another pickup. The GC & 4Runner are both great vehicles IMO but won't give you the same size or feel as a truck.

Also, used vehicle prices are crazy right now, so expect more depreciation than in normal times, just because you'll pay a premium right now.

OP
OP
joelg

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Yeah, we’re returning to the US after 2 years in Japan and need a short term vehicle to get us through the next year. It’s either a used car or some kind of lease transfer potentially.

OP
OP
joelg

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Also, I should clarify...

I've spent the last 2 years in Tokyo where my primary mode of transportation has been an e-bike, and before that we were in San Francisco with a BMW i3 so by "comparable", I really mean, "not a subcompact hatchback with 110 miles of range or a bicycle".

It can be a beater as long as it's reliable, safe, and has room for 4. We've done a fair bit of car camping, usually with a rented compact SUV. I mostly want to test out wilderness camping with a real 4x4, and road tripping with a bit more space. We need a car anyway, so figured something older that will retain some of the value it has over a year would be a better solution than picking up a newer car. Based on some blogs and Youtube guidance, I'm currently thinking older XJ Cherokees or early '00s Tacoma crew cabs.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think there is anything that is 1:1.

For performance you need to get a Raptor or TRX. Even then those are pretty slow relative to the R1T.

Size wise it is wider than a Tacoma but narrower than the F-150. Similar to a Honda Ridgeline. The Tacoma is easy to park but the F-150 can be challenging. Length, the R1T is considerably shorter than both. If you get an F-150 don't get used to the giant back seat, the R1T chose parkability over tons of leg room. I think of the R1T as a very exciting luxury version of the Honda Ridgeline with better legroom in the back. The R1T is much more luxurious than the Tacoma.

Nothing is going to give you the security or connivence of the frunk.

I would recommend a Tesla Model Y or a Ford Mustang. I think having an electric car is more important than driving a truck. Avis rents Tacomas, Rams, and F-150 for the weekend pretty cheap during the off season if you want to try them out.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There really is nothing on the market, currently that would provide a good analog for a R1T.

If you HAD to pick one, I'd say maybe the Honda Ridgeline -- but it's an objectively poor approximation.

There simply isn't anything else that will have a similar combination of size, utility, ride, performance, and features.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Do you need a car/truck? Did you sell yours? I don't think buying a car/truck for a year is going to be financially sound. But if you have to then a Tacoma would be the most logical choice.
Tacoma won’t be cheap, but they tend to hold their value pretty well. So as long as you take care of it and don’t put too many miles on, you should get back out most of what you put in.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Prices on used vehicles are very high right now, and likely that will ease somewhat by the time your Rivian is ready. But that will be true no matter what you buy - just be prepared for a hit in value.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Yeah, we’re returning to the US after 2 years in Japan and need a short term vehicle to get us through the next year. It’s either a used car or some kind of lease transfer potentially.
A lease transfer is a good idea, but keep in mind it could take a while to finalize (especially if the vehicle is in the Toyota family). It took me over 2 months to complete my RX350 transfer, but the advantage is that there are some good deals to be had. The RX can currently be traded in for $4k over its total lease buyout cost, so I don't have to worry about aligning my R1S delivery with the lease end date. Will just end the lease early and worst case, break even on the buyout.

Check out swapalease.com if you haven't already.

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
A Ford Raptor would be an excellent buy for a temporary truck. It’s quite a bit bigger than the Rivian but generally speaking they are appreciating in value so you stand to make money off it ?

Cujo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4, Jeep 4xe, Shelby GT350, Pontiac GTO
You might look at a Chevy Colorado Z71 or the GMC Canyon AT4.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Nissan Frontier, or maybe a Honda Ridgeline if you don’t need the towing
Sponsored