Sponsored

Coming soon in Rivian repair van near you?

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Hoping they do this across the country in areas where there are these vo-tech type of campuses. We will need these folks down the road in order to not have to wait extensively for repairs on anything that is not over the air fix. Great to see them doing this.

Also good to see a Launch Green R1T in the background!

Thanks for sharing.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Those ginormous yellow calipers made my pants a bit tight.

I noticed extra Rivian parts and wheels on the racks as well, so maybe we can start harassing the school for info like wheel backspacing, hub bore, parts numbers, etc...

OP
OP

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do NOT like that unsupported brake line at the 1:57 mark. Seems like a bent line and damage waiting to happen when I catch a stick up in there.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I do NOT like that unsupported brake line at the 1:57 mark. Seems like a bent line and damage waiting to happen when I catch a stick up in there.
Itā€™s supposed to have those bends in it

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Itā€™s supposed to have those bends in it
Yeah, I get that, but having the hard line unsupported at the transition to soft line is asking for trouble in my experience. I've had enough sticks, branches, etc do damage to CV joints, steering boots, etc over the years, but brake lines have always been fine. Even without debris, that hose will be moving a lot as the suspension moves, and not in sync with the hard line, so additional stress will be put on the hard line. Lots of little vibrations wear things out. I'd want the hard line supported at the transition to soft line, so that only the flexible hose is moving.

Something like this- Hard line, bracket, soft flexible line, bracket, hard line:

Rivian R1T R1S Coming soon in Rivian repair van near you? 428825999-brake-mods-fj-goodridge-ss-brake-lines-2

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Yeah, I get that, but having the hard line unsupported at the transition to soft line is asking for trouble in my experience. I've had enough sticks, branches, etc do damage to CV joints, steering boots, etc over the years, but brake lines have always been fine. Even without debris, that hose will be moving a lot as the suspension moves, and not in sync with the hard line, so additional stress will be put on the hard line. Lots of little vibrations wear things out. I'd want the hard line supported at the transition to soft line, so that only the flexible hose is moving.
Just curious, why do you need a hard, rigid line to be supported? It is in itself already. Itā€™s a very small section that is very light.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious, why do you need a hard, rigid line to be supported? It is in itself already. Itā€™s a very small section that is very light.
Each end of the brake line is attached at different points (appears one is to the frame, the other to the caliper) and that hose will be moving with every suspension movement. That's a lot of movement and force being applied to a hard line, despite the relatively light weight. That hard line will bend, ever so minutely with every bump until a stress fracture breaks it and you lose your brakes. Much like taking a paper clip and bending it a little back and forth, it will break after enough bends.

Why couldn't the soft hose been extended another 3"-4" to have minimal hard line at the caliper?

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thatā€˜s a rear caliper, judging by the size and shape. The rear calipers are behind the hub when the vehicle is driving forward so I think there is a lot of hardware to take a hit well before that brake line is imperiled. Itā€™s more vulnerable to impact when backing up, and Iā€™d hope Rivian learned their lesson on THAT from Long Way Up.

Regarding the unsupported transition from hard to flexible line, I donā€™t think this is that unusual of a design. Iā€™m pretty sure our Land Rover is like this and it hasnā€™t been an issue in 226,000 miles and that includes probably close to 1,000 miles of rock crawling and tens of thousands of miles on unpaved trails with plenty of debris.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thatā€˜s a rear caliper, judging by the size and shape. The rear calipers are behind the hub when the vehicle is driving forward so I think there is a lot of hardware to take a hit well before that brake line is imperiled. Itā€™s more vulnerable to impact when backing up, and Iā€™d hope Rivian learned their lesson on THAT from Long Way Up.

Regarding the unsupported transition from hard to flexible line, I donā€™t think this is that unusual of a design. Iā€™m pretty sure our Land Rover is like this and it hasnā€™t been an issue in 226,000 miles and that includes probably close to 1,000 miles of rock crawling and tens of thousands of miles on unpaved trails with plenty of debris.
Looks like the LR3 has soft line right up to the joint at the caliper, which I'm fine with-
Rivian R1T R1S Coming soon in Rivian repair van near you? %2Fimages.roverparts.com%2F1000%2FL319SRK-OMEHL-03

Good point on the line being at the rear. The wheel should also help protect this area from debris. I still don't like the vibration issue though.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
A Launch Green buck? I like the appearance of the matte finish. The clear coat on the production models changes the look, dunnit?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Launch Green buck? I like the appearance of the matte finish. The clear coat on the production models changes the look, dunnit?
I was wondering if that was Launch Green, or maybe just the e-coating before any paint. I thought I remember someone mentioning that corrosion dip was part of the inspiration for the Launch Green color.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Keep in mind that this is equipment donated to a school for training purposes and may not represent the latest/final production setup. I do, however, share your concern about the stress on that hard line over time which could be problematic. I'm not particularly concerned about FOD.
Sponsored