First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hi all - Just wanted to post this wrap video of our drive over Rollins Pass (near Winter Park, CO) this weekend. This was organized by the Rocky Mountain Rivian Club. Good times. We had 11 R1Ts! We did have a sidewall puncture at pretty much the highest point of the drive, but thanks to the Pro Eagle jack, it was a quick switch. Enjoy!

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm disappointed I didn't get my invite - oh wait, I don't have a truck yet!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Looks like a Launch Green convention. 🤣

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
Great video, your channel is awesome and very helpful. Surprised those sidewalls keep blowing out though. Just curious after a full day on the trail how much battery have remaining? Enough to get home without charging still?

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Surprised those sidewalls keep blowing out though.
It's because Rivian insisted on P-metric AT tires instead of LT tires, which ought to have stronger sidewalls. I can only assume they did this to save weight as the LT E-load tires most of us off-roaders will wind up using are at least 10 lbs more per tire.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
Great video! Looks like it was a lot of fun.

I noticed one R1T had the 22" wheels. Any recollections of how that one handled the drive vs. the rest with 20"s?
I have the 22" wheels too. I'd like to know how well they can handle this condition.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Can any of you who know about this stuff tell me what kinda air pressure can reduce the chance of this type of flat on this type of road if traction was not a concern?

DadOf4Girls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1T, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
I have the 22" wheels too. I'd like to know how well they can handle this condition.
I wasn't on this trip but I'm in Colorado and have been on a couple of off-road adventures with my 22". In general, the truck overcomes any traction shortcomings thanks to the torque control four motors gives you. That said, I did puncture a sidewall on one trip. :) I'm not really sure it was a problem with weak tires though as much as me being an idiot and driving up a fairly aggressive road in the dark.

Long story short, it was a 4 mile trail up to a trailhead, punctured the tire about a mile in. Swapped it out thanks to the full size spare and then made it the rest of the way up without issue (but with a lot of anxiety!). And driving back down the next morning in sunlight made a huge difference since I could actually see where to place the wheels to avoid further problems.

In no way am I implying the 22" are interchangeable with all-terrains for off-roading but they work fine for mild to moderate trails - just make sure you have light to see what you're driving on!

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I was running sweep on the first group of trucks. The rig directly in front of me had 21's and there were no issues related to the tires. The rig with 22's was a few trucks ahead, but again I didn't see any problems. Not sure if either of those owners is on here to chime in directly.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
I wasn't on this trip but I'm in Colorado and have been on a couple of off-road adventures with my 22". In general, the truck overcomes any traction shortcomings thanks to the torque control four motors gives you. That said, I did puncture a sidewall on one trip. :) I'm not really sure it was a problem with weak tires though as much as me being an idiot and driving up a fairly aggressive road in the dark.

Long story short, it was a 4 mile trail up to a trailhead, punctured the tire about a mile in. Swapped it out thanks to the full size spare and then made it the rest of the way up without issue (but with a lot of anxiety!). And driving back down the next morning in sunlight made a huge difference since I could actually see where to place the wheels to avoid further problems.

In no way am I implying the 22" are interchangeable with all-terrains for off-roading but they work fine for mild to moderate trails - just make sure you have light to see what you're driving on!
Thanks! Sounds like the 22" can still do some light off road. I don't plan on going crazy off road for sure, at least not for now. Did you air down the tire at all? Or the 22" side wall isn't thick enough and shouldn't do it anyway?

DadOf4Girls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1T, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanks! Sounds like the 22" can still do some light off road. I don't plan on going crazy off road for sure, at least not for now. Did you air down the tire at all? Or the 22" side wall isn't thick enough and shouldn't do it anyway?
I don't know if the sidewall on the 22s dictates whether you should or not but I did air down to about 35psi.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Great outing! Have only done Corona and Rollins on a snowmobile and MTB. While there are not any super technical OR sections, calling this a “drive” is an understatement given you are crossing the CT and in backcountry.
Sponsored