Sponsored

Mute issue

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1947 MGTC, 1966 Triumph T120TT Special, 1967 Austin Healey Sprint, 1969 MGB, 1995 F150, 1999 Honda Valkyrie, 2001 Kawasaki KLR650, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#824) JCW, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#887) JCW, 2006 R52 JCW Convertible, 2006 Mini R53 JCW, 2009 Mini R56 S (400HP race), 2009 BMW 135i,
Occupation
Retired
Mute issue
Sponsored

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Mike, congrats to you, sir. Very exciting. Most importantly, thank you for your service to all of us.

MCO to DMV for title should be no problem. I cannot speak to Rivian but it works smoothly for other vehicles. Your bill of sale and other purchase paperwork is sufficient in the meantime, including temp tags.

I’m not sure if CO RSC can yet allow pickups given certain in state direct vehicle sales procedures, but I would bet they would honor your request to flatbed transport your Rivian to El Paso County rather than drive it there. I have visited the RSC here many times as we are closeby, it is impressive and worth a visit. Call and ask what they may be able to accommodate.

Cheers.

Here’s an employee rig at the Denver RSC in your config.

Rivian R1T R1S Mute issue D6693BA3-C715-4FF1-96C1-6F40C2811BF2

Last edited:

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Yes, congratulations on your pending delivery. We had a similar situation several years ago. We purchased a new Chevrolet Suburban from a dealer in New Orleans. He provided us with what was then called the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin). We returned to Florida with the vehicle and the MSO. We took the MSO to the county tax collector where we paid the sales tax and tag fees. We were then issued a Florida title and registration.

We also would like to take delivery of our R1T at the factory in Illinois. We are hoping that this will become a possibility by the time that we get our truck. We live in the rural Florida Panhandle and are 300+ miles from any major metropolitan area. Between this, and the fact that we are sticking with the Explore Model, we expect to be way down the list. It hurts a little to be one of the first adopters and the last to receive a vehicle.

I wonder what Rivian would say if we went into our Configuration Summary and changed our preferred delivery address to the street address of the Rivian Factory in Normal, Illinois.

SuEllyn and Brian

OP
OP
R1T_Cruising_Male
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1947 MGTC, 1966 Triumph T120TT Special, 1967 Austin Healey Sprint, 1969 MGB, 1995 F150, 1999 Honda Valkyrie, 2001 Kawasaki KLR650, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#824) JCW, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#887) JCW, 2006 R52 JCW Convertible, 2006 Mini R53 JCW, 2009 Mini R56 S (400HP race), 2009 BMW 135i,
Occupation
Retired
Hey Moosehead,
Thank you for the reassurance.
I was told that the RSC does not allow entry for visitors.
Have you been inside?

My experience with the MCO is different than yours since other dealers give me the MCO directly and the county DMV takes it when I first title the vehicle and gives me temp plates until they print the title. No VIN check required.

Time will tell how this will work out.

I reached out to Kyle from Out of Spec to ask his brother in law registration went.

Thanks for the photos.

Safe adventures,
Mike

OP
OP
R1T_Cruising_Male
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, congratulations on your pending delivery. We had a similar situation several years ago. We purchased a new Chevrolet Suburban from a dealer in New Orleans. He provided us with what was then called the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin). We returned to Florida with the vehicle and the MSO. We took the MSO to the county tax collector where we paid the sales tax and tag fees. We were then issued a Florida title and registration.

We also would like to take delivery of our R1T at the factory in Illinois. We are hoping that this will become a possibility by the time that we get our truck. We live in the rural Florida Panhandle and are 300+ miles from any major metropolitan area. Between this, and the fact that we are sticking with the Explore Model, we expect to be way down the list. It hurts a little to be one of the first adopters and the last to receive a vehicle.

I wonder what Rivian would say if we went into our Configuration Summary and changed our preferred delivery address to the street address of the Rivian Factory in Normal, Illinois.

SuEllyn and Brian
Suellyn and Brian,
I have also thought of changing addresses. But then I might be subject to two state sales taxes. One in IN and one in CO. And CO has mandatory VIN verification with out of state titles. Gets messy.
You may have received the email from
Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement

Rivian allows you to change your configuration, which may put you higher on the list.
Safe adventures,
Mike

Sponsored

Sheldon

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction mgmt
Hi New Existing Owners in Colorado.
I have a guide and expected delivery in May/June. I'm excited.
My Rivian guide answers to my questions about the MCO ("Manufacture Certificate of Origin" not the title because these not previously owned vehicles, should have a MCO) by telling me the MCO will be sent to the DMV. Did that work for you? Was it easy?
Furthermore, I am a Disabled Veteran and do not have to pay vehicle licensing fees, I pay sales tax but that is all that I own Colorado in order to get DV plates.

I hope to be able to work this out with Rivian Delivery Guide, but am concerned it may be an issue. How did it go for you?

In my years of experience, buying new vehicles with a MCO from CO dealers and out of state dealers, that the MCO is handed to me because I pay cash. I know that I have to work with my own county DMV, in order to register the R1T. I am concerned that if the MCO is electronically or snail mailed to a general address at CODMV, that it will get lost in the cyber space, and that my county DMV will not get it.

My question to Colorado owners, how did the paperwork process go for you and what was the disabled veterans experience with the titling/licensing paperwork.

I would like to pick the R1T up in Norman, but Guide says no.
2nd choice, I would like to pick it up at the Rivian Service Center at 3893 Steele St, Denver, CO 80205, because I want to be the one who drives it first, after the transport driver. Did any of you pick it up at the Service Center? I live in El Paso County.

I've been looking forward to this for two years, and excited.

Launch Edition
Large pack
Glacier White
22" Sport Bright wheels
Black Mountain
Reinforced Underbody Shield
Tow Hooks
All-Weather Floor Mats
Powered Tonneau Cover
Cargo Crossbars
Wall Charger

Safe adventures,
Mike
It looks like you ordered almost exactly what I received as well, I LOVE THE TRUCK, and minus a few quirks which have been resolved by service OTA it continues to impress.
However, when it comes to titling and registration it seems Rivian has taken it upon themselves to make a simple job excruciatingly complex. I paid for truck in middle of March via ACH which also included nearly and additional 6k in estimated state and local taxes. I took delivery in St.Louis Mo area about 2 weeks later. I never received any MSO/MCO. nor have I been provided with any supporting documents reflecting communication with Missouri Department of revenue or proper title application.
On the day of delivery I was notified by my guide that there was an document that needed to be notarized online before delivery. In my haste and excitement I signed off because I certainly did not want to delay delivery.
Bad idea.
It was an LPOA to allow Rivian to title and register truck on my behalf.. After 6 weeks, The local Dept of Rev. had no record online of a title application being filed. Two months later I have only a set of paper temporary plates. I have been working with guide and trying to obtain a status update.
Over 30 years and dozens of new and used vehicle purchases I have never had to drive with temp plates nor have I waited longer than a couple days to get title work process started. I’m confident they are trying their best however I feel like despite their best efforts, we all would have been better off if they would send the MSO/MCO and allow customers to take care of their own titling and registration.
I have a later preorder for the R1S. I hope for both of us is that the process gets simplified sooner rather than later.
Sorry for long winded rant…… just providing you with a perspective.

OP
OP
R1T_Cruising_Male
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@GaTeMuCy , Thank you for your input and response. It's my understanding that the CO legislatures have approved a modification to existing law that will allow OEM to sell direct to consumers. This was opposed by the dealership lobby but I believe it has passed.

Regardless, this Monday May 15, I got a VIN, and started the 8 step process. But the anticipated licensing fees charge that I warned my guide about was there! It took some effort, but being anal and proactive I called the DMV and the DMV advised me the easiest way to resolve it with Rivian. I provided this procedure to my guide and he confirmed it with Rivian Titling department and on Tuesday the 17th early evening, my licensing fees were corrected. I completed the 8 step process last night May 17. My sales tax was correct, yeah. I have a scheduled pickup at Denver SC on Friday May 20th, but am trying to get it sooner. I drove up there today (Wednesday) to look at it, but alas, it was inside being prepped.

Accolades to Rivian, their employees and my guide. I get the learning curve, I get the process that Rivian is trying to establish. But I think they should have just given me the MSO and let me work it directly with the DMV, like I have done with all of my other vehicles. In my case, after the DMV confirms the paperwork, that is digitally sent to them, and that all fees are correct, the DMV will issue me a title (according to the DMV). But, I will still have to physically go to the DMV to get my plates, --- per DMV person. I get that Rivian is trying to establish themselves with the state, and trying to make the process seamless to the consumer, as if they were a dealer, but they are not considering special circumstances, like mine. Regardless, I am very excited to get this vehicle, VIN is in the 3000's. I will post more, if anyone is interested in my pickup experience. Next quest, 20" off road rims and tires.

p.s. The DMV has to approve all of the fees collected before they issue a title and they will do this with Rivian, not the consumer, (according to the DMV). I anticipate a delay because I don't think the sales tax is correct.

Safe adventures, Mike

1947 MGTC, 1966 Triumph T120TT Special, 1967 Austin Healey Sprint, 1969 MGB, 1995 F150, 1999 Honda Valkyrie, 2001 Kawasaki KLR650, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#824) JCW, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#887) JCW, 2006 R52 JCW Convertible, 2006 Mini R53 JCW, 2009 Mini R56 S (400HP race), 2009 Kawasaki KLR650, 2009 BMW 135i, 2022 Genesis GV70, 2022 Rivian R1T

Last edited:

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
@GaTeMuCy , Thank you for your input and response. It's my understanding that the CO legislatures have approved a modification to existing law that will allow OEM to sell direct to consumers. This was opposed by the dealership lobby but I believe it has passed.

Regardless, this Monday June 15, I got a VIN, and started the 8 step process. But the anticipated licensing fees charge that I warned my guide about was there! It took some effort, but being anal and proactive I called the DMV and the DMV advised me the easiest way to resolve it with Rivian. I provided this procedure to my guide and he confirmed it with Rivian Titling department and on Tuesday the 17th early evening, my licensing fees were corrected. I completed the 8 step process last night June 17. My sales tax was correct, yeah. I have a scheduled pickup at Denver SC on Friday June 20th, but am trying to get it sooner. I drove up there today (Wednesday) to look at it, but alas, it was inside being prepped.

Accolades to Rivian, their employees and my guide. I get the learning curve, I get the process that Rivian is trying to establish. But I think they should have just given me the MSO and let me work it directly with the DMV, like I have done with all of my other vehicles. In my case, after the DMV confirms the paperwork, that is digitally sent to them, and that all fees are correct, the DMV will issue me a title (according to the DMV). But, I will still have to physically go to the DMV to get my plates, --- per DMV person. I get that Rivian is trying to establish themselves with the state, and trying to make the process seamless to the consumer, as if they were a dealer, but they are not considering special circumstances, like mine. Regardless, I am very excited to get this vehicle, VIN is in the 3000's. I will post more, if anyone is interested in my pickup experience. Next quest, 20" off road rims and tires.

p.s. The DMV has to approve all of the fees collected before they issue a title and they will do this with Rivian, not the consumer, (according to the DMV). I anticipate a delay because I don't think the sales tax is correct.

Safe adventures, Mike

1947 MGTC, 1966 Triumph T120TT Special, 1967 Austin Healey Sprint, 1969 MGB, 1995 F150, 1999 Honda Valkyrie, 2001 Kawasaki KLR650, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#824) JCW, 2004 Mini R53 MC40(#887) JCW, 2006 R52 JCW Convertible, 2006 Mini R53 JCW, 2009 Mini R56 S (400HP race), 2009 Kawasaki KLR650, 2009 BMW 135i, 2022 Genesis GV70, 2022 Rivian R1T
Change June instances to May

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
A lot of dealers don't like to release MCO as it's their last-gap prevention of fraud. So they sit on it the state mandated time (29 days) and send it. Other times they don't give it because they don't have it -- the vehicle on their lot is financed.

If I was Rivian, I'd do it for no reason other than to dampen resale and help prevent title forgery from people trying to skip initial reg in their names.

Otherwise a MCO has the same utility as a title except it can't be used in commerce. It can only be used for titling to the initial purchaser.
Sponsored