Colorado Checking In

chizchiz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Jeep GC, Porsche 911, DeTomaso Pantera
Can't imagine a place better than Colorado for a Rivian. No power loss from altitude? 4 wheel power for the various conditions? Ground clearance for all the trails? Seating for 7, gear in front, gear in back, skis on top? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK. Any other Colorado (Denver) pre-orders here?

Newbie here in Denver (reserved on 10/8), but already can't wait!
Sponsored

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
congrats on the pre-order and good luck with maintaining some level of patience! I pre-ordered last year - I'm looking forward to reading more about the features and specifications and also seeing more pictures. Hopefully the wait will be rewarded with a great product!

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Preorder in October 2020 but fired up for delivery sometime in 2022! haha. Curious where the eventual Rivian brick and mortar location will be. I'm guessing in Denver County (likely downtown).

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Preorder in October 2020 but fired up for delivery sometime in 2022! haha. Curious where the eventual Rivian brick and mortar location will be. I'm guessing in Denver County (likely downtown).
I was thinking Boulder More closely fits their demographic and image. Maybe somewhere along the turnpike, near the other big dealerships.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I was thinking Boulder More closely fits their demographic and image. Maybe somewhere along the turnpike, near the other big dealerships.
Very true, especially since Boulder is all-in on their sustainable energy plans. Although, Denver would be more centrally located to address the southern counties like Arapahoe and Douglas. I could see many potential buyers getting pulled from there. However, it’s not like Boulder is toooo far away. If the service is going to be mostly mobile and contract vendors, it’s not like one would be driving up to Boulder consistently anyways.

Last edited:

Sponsored

barsaec

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, RAM EcoDiesel, Range Rover Classic
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Looking forward to many trips to Colorado from South Texas! We recently cancelled our annual trip to Breck due C19. Stay safe and Happy Holidays.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I'm down in Manitou Springs. Really looking forward to the R1S. It should be an amazing Colorado car: skiing, camping, off-roading, hauling gear

We have several EV's and have been all over Colorado in them. I recently completed a 5 day 1250 mile road rally through Colorado in my Taycan. I had no problem keeping up with the gas power sports cars on the trip. You are 100% correct on the no power loss at altitude. You'll be amazed at the passing power climbing a 12,000 ft pass.

The charging network has really filled out in 2020. There are still a few more chargers going in right now (Montrose, Steam Boat, Fairplay, Estes Park), so just about everywhere should be cover by the time we start taking delivery.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I'm down in Manitou Springs. Really looking forward to the R1S. It should be an amazing Colorado car: skiing, camping, off-roading, hauling gear

We have several EV's and have been all over Colorado in them. I recently completed a 5 day 1250 mile road rally through Colorado in my Taycan. I had no problem keeping up with the gas power sports cars on the trip. You are 100% correct on the no power loss at altitude. You'll be amazed at the passing power climbing a 12,000 ft pass.

The charging network has really filled out in 2020. There are still a few more chargers going in right now (Montrose, Steam Boat, Fairplay, Estes Park), so just about everywhere should be cover by the time we start taking delivery.
I have a buddy in Steamboat. I’m looking forward to driving out there for a visit from SLC in my R1S!

tomsatter

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, want to own R1T
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I'm in Boulder and am super excited for delivery of the R1T (delivery not until 2022 because I want the higher power battery pack). I am designing an all electric trailer RV that I hope to build out this year and have ready when the R1T arrives.

barsaec

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, RAM EcoDiesel, Range Rover Classic
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Awesome! We stop at Manitou incline at Spring Break and summer time, we us it a gauge of our health, and have bee doing it for years. Glad to hear the charging network infrastructure is there to do a trek like yours. I'm still hoping for a few more chargers in west central Texas to make it easier to get up your way.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You are 100% correct on the no power loss at altitude. You'll be amazed at the passing power climbing a 12,000 ft pass.
Not only is there no power loss at altitude but you get more miles per kWh because drag is lower from appreciably reduced air density.

Last edited:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi folks - I don't have much to add, but its not surprising there seem to be so many people from Colorado on here. I'm hoping to get an R1t by the end of next year. After following Rivian for a while I finally put my pre-order down in January 2020. I still was able to reserve a launch edition. I will be a BEV newbie. When i bought my last car in 2016 I decided it would be the last ICE car. I'm hyped there is now a BEV that i suited to Colorado.

Hopefully this winter we see a little bit more from Rivian on cold weather testing. They did the video on high heat towing. Now we need to see the potential range lost in a Colorado winter. There is a very old photo on the Rivian Instagram from the top of Loveland Pass. I would like to see them do a test of the I-70 ski crawl, i.e. drive the R1t from Denver through the I-70 traffic jam, up over Loveland, park it at Abasin for the day, and then drive it back to Denver. If they demonstrate these vehicles will work for that purpose, they will be in high demand in Denver. I really want Rivian to do well here because we need a solution to start cleaning up Denver's air.

I also hope we see more charging spots in the high country. Is the Wal-mart in Frisco the only CCS place in Summit County? We will need a lot more capacity in that valley. I have a family place in Steamboat, but I'm going to need to put an outlet in the garage. Many of the old ski resort condos were not built with open electrical outlets in the garage. Therefore, adding DC chargers in many of the ski towns would go a long way.

For folks in the Denver area, it also looks like Xcel will be taking some actions to promote BEVs. I've been trying to sort it out, but it looks like they will start offering rebates for installing level 2 chargers and possibly other BEV rebates. They also will add a few of their own chargers on the front range.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Hopefully this winter we see a little bit more from Rivian on cold weather testing. They did the video on high heat towing. Now we need to see the potential range lost in a Colorado winter. There is a very old photo on the Rivian Instagram from the top of Loveland Pass. I would like to see them do a test of the I-70 ski crawl, i.e. drive the R1t from Denver through the I-70 traffic jam, up over Loveland, park it at Abasin for the day, and then drive it back to Denver. If they demonstrate these vehicles will work for that purpose, they will be in high demand in Denver. I really want Rivian to do well here because we need a solution to start cleaning up Denver's air.
I'm hoping for more details on this as well. Given how many test mules I see along I-70, I'm actually surprised that I've not yet spotted a Rivian running tests. I'm back and forth between Breck and Denver frequently. It's 81 miles door-to-door, so I'm fairly confident I can make the round-trip without any concerns, but I'd like to know that for sure.

For folks in the Denver area, it also looks like Xcel will be taking some actions to promote BEVs. I've been trying to sort it out, but it looks like they will start offering rebates for installing level 2 chargers and possibly other BEV rebates.
Do you have any more info you can share on this? I've got my electrician coming in the next couple weeks to install a 60A 14/50 outlet in my garage, so that I can take advantage of the federal tax incentive. But if it makes more sense to wait for the Xcel rebate, then I would do that instead.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I've got my electrician coming in the next couple weeks to install a 60A 14/50 outlet in my garage, so that I can take advantage of the federal tax incentive.
You cant get 60 A (48 derated) from a 14-50R (max 50 A, 40 derated). If you are looking for the full 48A (derated) potebtial from the truck's charger you will have to install a hard wired (no outlet) 60A circuit.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I also hope we see more charging spots in the high country. Is the Wal-mart in Frisco the only CCS place in Summit County? We will need a lot more capacity in that valley. I have a family place in Steamboat, but I'm going to need to put an outlet in the garage. Many of the old ski resort condos were not built with open electrical outlets in the garage. Therefore, adding DC chargers in many of the ski towns would go a long way.

I have driven both our Model X and our E-tron from Colorado Springs to Copper Mountain for the past couple of years. The Tesla Superchargers in Silverthorne only have 8 stalls. I never had a problem charging there. So with 4 stalls available in Frisco, my guess is it will still be several years before they get Tesla levels of traffic to require more stations. I have only seen one other vehicle charging in Frisco while topping off our E-tron.

Another option is to look for level 2 chargers. Many are starting to appear in parking lots and at hotels. Copper Mountain for example has a couple of level 2 chargers. I've managed to get on of those chargers for the day and was able to charge me vehicle while skiing.

Fairplay also has two 125kW charge point chargers going in. That will be a back up option for individuals like myself who drive over Hoosier Pass.

Keep in mind many will be able to make the full trip without charging. In theory I can make it from Colorado Springs to Copper and back on 100% in our Model X and our E-tron. Problem is I don't want to run our in bad weather up in the mountains. So usually we only stop for a quick 5-10 minute DC fast charge on the way to the resort. This way the battery is still warm for faster charging, and there seems to be fewer people that charge on the way in.
Sponsored