Sponsored

Cmon Rivian uncork the Quad Motor!

CruxOp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
We all know that there's a few extra horsepower available in the each of those motors. 110 speed restriction seems arbitrary. Let's get a software update going and make some tweaks!
Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
You’re joking on the speed restriction right? I’m in TX where we have one of the, if not the, highest highway speed limit of 85mph. This car doesn’t inspire confidence at that speed.

If you want a race car, buy a race car, not a 7000lb+ SUV.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You’re joking on the speed restriction right? I’m in TX where we have one of the, if not the, highest highway speed limit of 85mph. This car doesn’t inspire confidence at that speed.

What? I need to use the cruise control on the expressway because I find myself at 90 far too often. At 90 my R1 doesn't feel unstable or even have very loud wind noise. I don't get where you're getting "doesn't inspire confidence at that speed"

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 24 R1S (El Cap)
Occupation
Content Creation & Real Estate
Clubs

I like it just the way it is. This isn't a Model X or another sports car. I know with the 21s it can't put all the power down on hard acceleration in many scenarios and I can feel the TC coming on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CruxOp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
I like it just the way it is. This isn't a Model X or another sports car. I know with the 21s it can't put all the power down on hard acceleration in many scenarios and I can feel the TC coming on.
Horsepower isn't about just launching. Torque is most important for launch. Horsepower helps throughout the entire acceleration curve.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Why do you want me to die?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's a well known fact that the 110 speed restriction causes the car to lose E.T. in the quarter mile.
It's also a well known fact that the prototypes didn't have the 110 mph limitation.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

We all know that there's a few extra horsepower available in the each of those motors. 110 speed restriction seems arbitrary. Let's get a software update going and make some tweaks!
I thought the limit was 112, or did that change?
Anyways, there are a lot of factors that go into a speed governor. One is the tire speed rating. The Scorpion ATs are only rated to 118mph to begin with. I’m sure it’s higher on the other tires but they’re going to go with the lowest common denominator here. I’m betting battery performance, wear and tear, and safety are other considerations. I do think it would be cool to hear Rivian’s reasoning behind it. Might be a cool engineering story.

Either you don’t actually have an R1 or something is very wrong with yours. My R1 is as rock solid as speeds over 100mph as my Cayenne was. It’s not going to take corners as well but it’s just as good on the highway.

OP
OP

CruxOp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
It's also a well known fact that the prototypes didn't have the 110 mph limitation.
Didn't know that! But was surprised at the limitation given the sophisticated suspension.

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S

My R1S drives just as well at 85 as 65. Completely disagree with it not inspiring confidence at 85.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
I thought the limit was 112, or did that change?
Anyways, there are a lot of factors that go into a speed governor. One is the tire speed rating. The Scorpion ATs are only rated to 118mph to begin with. I’m sure it’s higher on the other tires but they’re going to go with the lowest common denominator here. I’m betting battery performance, wear and tear, and safety are other considerations. I do think it would be cool to hear Rivian’s reasoning behind it. Might be a cool engineering story.

Either you don’t actually have an R1 or something is very wrong with yours. My R1 is as rock solid as speeds over 100mph as my Cayenne was. It’s not going to take corners as well but it’s just as good on the highway.
We have had our R1S since May. Are you on 22s? Maybe that’s enough of a difference to make it feel a little more planted.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

We have had our R1S since May. Are you on 22s? Maybe that’s enough of a difference to make it feel a little more planted.
I’ve got the OEM 20” Pirelli ATs. There are a lot of shortcomings to this tire but high speed stability isn’t one of them.

One possibility is you have a tire that is slightly out of balance. If you get that checked, make sure they use a ‘road force’ balancer. Some mom and pop shops don’t have those but pretty much every Discount Tire does.
Sponsored