First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I have been getting an annoying clicking sound I originally attributed to the common drive shaft issue. I was preparing for a road trip today when my wife raised a concern about it. I went under the truck and turns out the clicking happens when in park and turning. Is this a steering rack issue? I am no longer confident this is safe enough to road trip so we are taking the tesla. I already have a service call scheduled for other issues and it got moved to July because Austin is backlogged. Should I escalate this and ask them onlook at it sooner? Thoughts on what this is?
Sponsored

Boomkanani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2009 Tacoma
Do you not see the drive shaft moving when you turn the wheel...?

OP
OP

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Do you not see the drive shaft moving when you turn the wheel...?
A tiny bit - but why is it clicking more than once when turning the same direction, and why would such a small movement in the shaft with low power result in such loud clicks? I'm concerned it may be loose steering rack bolts. Called Rivian and they should be sending someone tomorrow.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
A tiny bit - but why is it clicking more than once when turning the same direction, and why would such a small movement in the shaft with low power result in such loud clicks? I'm concerned it may be loose steering rack bolts. Called Rivian and they should be sending someone tomorrow.
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully nothing too crazy. 🤞

OP
OP

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It was diagnosed to be the subframe. I got an email saying that they have ordered the parts and it will be repaired, but that its not a safety issue. They sent an email and I assume they are going to call and tell me to pick it up soon.

It seems strange that it isn't considered a safety issue to me. What if that weld splits? That seems like it would be seriously dangerous. I haven't seen any instances of that happening but it makes me pretty nervous...

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Mine had the same click, was the front left lower a-arm bolt. A little grease and retorqued, been quiet ever since.
Sponsored