First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Has anyone investigated getting a clear vinyl wrap for paint protection?
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Vinyl (at least in the context of a color wrap) typically isn't thick enough to really be considered PPF. I mean I guess it's better than nothing, but you'd be fooling yourself if you think it will perform the same as an actual PPF product particularly for abrasion and impacts

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
You'll want to familiarize yourself with the differences between vinyl wrap vs. paint protection film (PPF).

Vinyl wrap is what folks usually do to change the appearance/color of the vehicle. You can get a color change or do something with crazy patterns. The material itself is very thin and does not protect the vehicle from rock chips. Because there is a layer there, I'm not going to say it DOESN'T protect it at all, but that's not its purpose.

Paint protection film (PPF) is significantly thicker. About 6-10mils vs. vinyl which is about 2-4. I googled and a credit card is about 30mils.

PPF can be clear and now it can also have a "matte" application. While still clear, it'll make the color of your vehicle appear matte. It cannot change the color of it. With PPF, folks usually cover the front end (bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, etc) or the entire car. The latter is obviously more expensive. With the matte (Xpel calls it "Stealth"), you obviously have to do the entire vehicle. Otherwise only half will be matte :p.

nomis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S; Toyota Rav4
Clubs

PPF can be clear and now it can also have a "matte" application. While still clear, it'll make the color of your vehicle appear matte. It cannot change the color of it. With PPF, folks usually cover the front end (bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, etc) or the entire car. The latter is obviously more expensive. With the matte (Xpel calls it "Stealth"), you obviously have to do the entire vehicle. Otherwise only half will be matte :p.
I believe XPEL officially calls it "satin". Technically matte is even more dulled out than what XPEL Stealth is offering. The XPEL Stealth PPF has a bit of sheen to it, which makes it "satin" rather than matte; semantics....
Sponsored