Clamps/mounts for crossbars?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I've gone through most of this section looking for ideas but thought I'd throw this out there to you experts. I may have the opportunity to use my R1T as a pace vehicle for our annual races at Barber Motorsports Park next weekend. As such I need to mount the pace car light bar. The light bar is magnetic so no joy finding a metallic surface on the Rivian for that to work, so the obvious answer to me is mounting a steel plate to the crossbar. This would have to be in the center section of the crossbar without the t-slots. Do y'all have a recommendation for clamp style mount for this use?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why can't you use a larger piece of steel and the t-slots?

Alternatively, use the clamps off of any standard crossbar accessory (like a snowboard carrier) and bolt them to your piece of steel.

OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why can't you use a larger piece of steel and the t-slots?

Alternatively, use the clamps off of any standard crossbar accessory (like a snowboard carrier) and bolt them to your piece of steel.
I could use a larger piece, it just would be considerably bigger than needed. I don't have and have never used any crossbar accessories so nothing on hand.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

What does the light bar look like; in terms of the magnetic mounting points? Are there other mounting options? How big is the magnet mounting point?

My mind went to a suction cup, with either a magnet or an adapter of sorts to mount the light. Or what about a magnet on the underside of the glass roof? (Certainly with something between the glass and magnet to protect the glass). The aquarium industry uses magnets on each side of the glass to mount power heads and such.

just spit-ballin’ ideas here……..

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
OP
OP
rodhx

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, suction-cup mod for the glass would work, I'm just trying to get it lower/closer to eye level and use something that won't scratch up the bars. And it would be different. ;)

I looked at suction cup plates last year when I used my Mach E but it turns out the Ford has just enough metal around the shark fin antenna for the magnets to work. That doesn't look to be the case for our trucks.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE