Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Members like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tire models, LT3 or 10 SUV, for cold, snow, and especially ice. Which model of these two is better for the Rivians? I face snow and ice for 5+ months. The LT3 is size 275/65 R20 and the 10 SUV is 275/60 R20. LT3 top speed is 100 mph and the 10 SUV is 118 MPH. Weight is an issue too, the LTE is designed for light trucks, and the Rivians are heavy, but both models are designed for substantial heavy vehicles!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d choose hakka 10 in LT275/65R20.
(addendum: if I had 21” or 22” wheels for summer use I’d use 275/60R20 since that size is the same diameter as Rivian’s 21 & 22” options)

Non studded for me, since I could run them longer. If using studded tires here I’d have to have them off by end of March.

There will be between 30-80cm of snow hitting here Thursday-Friday. Thanks Colorado for that low pressure system…
If I had studded tires I’d be SOL.

Last edited:

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Watching this thread intently as it's snowing outside rn...

OP
OP

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

(addendum: if I had 21” or 22” wheels for summer use I’d use 275/60R20 since that size is the same diameter as Rivia’s 21 & 22” options)

Non studded for me, since I could run them longer. If using studded tires here I’d have to have them off by end of March.

There will be between 30-80cm of snow hitting here Thursday-Friday. Thanks Colorado for that low pressure system…
Thanks for your help and affirmation of Nokian! It seems that I have a choice between the LT and the SUV studded models. Trying to figure out which is better for Rivian given its weight and performance. At this elevation in winter at 7000 ft elevation, ice is a problem well into April, even more than snow, and we get a lot of that in the mountains here. I am leaning LT partly because of your recommendation — the LT does excel in deeper mud and carries more weight but may not be as good on the highway. Thanks.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for your help and affirmation of Nokian! It seems that I have a choice between the LT and the SUV studded models. Trying to figure out which is better for Rivian given its weight and performance. At this elevation in winter at 7000 ft elevation, ice is a problem well into April, even more than snow, and we get a lot of that in the mountains here. I am leaning LT partly because of your recommendation — the LT does excel in deeper mud and carries more weight but may not be as good on the highway. Thanks.
Rivian’s 20” size is standard on lots of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, so you’ll mostly find LT tires with E load ratings in that size. Plenty for the rivian.

Stiffer sidewalls of such a tire might mean you would run a couple PSI lower to get equivalent comfort to rivian’s OEM tires

Sponsored

OP
OP

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Rivian’s 20” size is standard on lots of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, so you’ll mostly find LT tires with E load ratings in that size. Plenty for the rivian.

Stiffer sidewalls of such a tire might mean you would run a couple PSI lower to get equivalent comfort to rivian’s OEM tires
Thanks again. Still heading for Nokian. They still do not list Rivian in their chart.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks again. Still heading for Nokian. They still do not list Rivian in their chart.
I don’t expect they will for a while

also earlier I wrote Hakka 10, but meant LT3 - it’s all that’s listed in the right sizes for R1.

might be different in the states.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
In the 90s, I put a set of Michelin LTX family tires on my Suburban for towing with a heavy tongue load. Talking with the dealer, he suggested a heavier rated model which had 2 additional plys in the sidewall (I think it was 4 ply vs 6 ply), adding that stiffness you mentioned. Great when towing, but under normal driving it was uncomfortably stiff and transmitted more road noise into the cabin. Letting air out helped but reduced fuel mileage.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the 90s, I put a set of Michelin LTX family tires on my Suburban for towing with a heavy tongue load. Talking with the dealer, he suggested a heavier rated model which had 2 additional plys in the sidewall (I think it was 4 ply vs 6 ply), adding that stiffness you mentioned. Great when towing, but under normal driving it was uncomfortably stiff and transmitted more road noise into the cabin. Letting air out helped but reduced fuel mileage.
If I want anything close to an off road tire for my Land Rover, I am forced into E load rated tires due to the size, a common one for vans and old trucks. Construction is as you mentioned - stiff even with 28psi in them.

But at least its tiny diesel returns 28mpg (the Queen’s Own Gallons obviously) screaming away on the highway.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

If I want anything close to an off road tire for my Land Rover, I am forced into E load rated tires due to the size, a common one for vans and old trucks. Construction is as you mentioned - stiff even with 28psi in them.

But at least its tiny diesel returns 28mpg (the Queen’s Own Gallons obvoisly) screaming away on the highway.
Fun comment — from observed expierence!

Sponsored

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
(addendum: if I had 21” or 22” wheels for summer use I’d use 275/60R20 since that size is the same diameter as Rivian’s 21 & 22” options)

Are you saying that the 22" wheels I have on the R1T would accomodate the 275/60R20?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Are you saying that the 22" wheels I have on the R1T would accomodate the 275/60R20?
No, he’s saying those two different wheel sized tires, one a 22” wheel diameter, the other a 20” wheel diameter, would have roughly similar outside tire diameters of 33”. The 275/65R20 is for a 20” wheel but is closer to 34” outside tire diameter.

In addition to less weight the smaller 33” outside diameter would allow an owner to swap wheel and tire sets without going into a RSC to reset the odometer for the larger outside diameter tire of circa 34”.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, he’s saying those two different wheel sized tires, one a 22” wheel diameter, the other a 20” wheel diameter, would have roughly similar outside tire diameters of 33”. The 275/65R20 is for a 20” wheel but is closer to 34” outside tire diameter.

In addition to less weight the smaller 33” outside diameter would allow an owner to swap wheel and tire sets without going into a RSC to reset the odometer for the larger outside diameter tire of circa 34”.
Right. Buy a set of 20” wheels for winter, mount 20” tires in equivalent overall diameter to 22” tires

DJT2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just put on Nokian LT3s for the winter. Cold pressure recommendation is 80psi? What pressure is everyone running for these tires on an R1T?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just put on Nokian LT3s for the winter. Cold pressure recommendation is 80psi? What pressure is everyone running for these tires on an R1T?
Max pressure is 80psi, not recommended pressure. You can easily run these tires at OEM pressure (48psi) or probably a little lower if desired for traction or ride comfort. You can also go up to 60 or higher if you want to get higher efficiency.

If you want to minimize tire wear you should do a chalk test to figure out the right pressure.
Sponsored