Sponsored

Chevron starts deploying EV charging stations at its gas stations

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Source: electrek.co - "Chevron starts deploying EV charging stations at its gas stations"

Oil and gas station companies are increasingly looking at adding electric vehicle charging stations at their locations in order to stay relevant as the industry moves to electric.

Chevron is the latest example as it partners with EVgo to bring EV charging stations to its gas stations.

Today, EVgo and Chevron announced that “more than a dozen EVgo fast chargers – ranging from 50 kW to 100 kW capacity – are already operational or under construction at five Chevron stations.”

They are all in California, around Los Angeles and the Bay Area: Aliso Viejo, Manhattan Beach, Menlo Park, and Venic.

The one in Menlo Park is already operational.

Cathy Zoi, EVgo CEO, commented on the announcement:

“We believe the future of transportation is electric, and EVgo is helping everyone—including traditional fueling stations—take advantage of the benefits of EV adoption. EVgo is excited to work with Chevron to bring fast-charging to gas stations today and applauds the company’s forward-thinking efforts to serve the rapidly growing market of electric vehicle drivers in California.”

Alice Flesher, general manager of Chevron’s company-owned and operated network of gas stations, added:

“We are excited to be working with EVgo to install electric vehicle charging stations at select locations in California. While gasoline and diesel remain an important part of California’s transportation energy mix, we are always exploring how to evolve our offering, helping improve the consumer experience and working to remain the preferred brand choice on the West Coast.”

Chevron is not the only oil company seeing the writing on the wall.

Oil companies have been increasingly interested in electric vehicle charging as they start to see electric vehicles slowly taking over the car industry.

Shell is leading the charge through its involvement in the new Ionity charging network in Europe, building its own chargers at its own gas stations, and recently acquiring a charging network with over 30,000 chargers.

Petro Canada, formerly a state-owned oil company in Canada but now part of Suncor, is also on board as it started deploying charging stations to its large network of gas stations in Canada.

BP also started investing in electric vehicle charging through an investment in a startup.
<snip/>

More than a dozen DC fast chargers at 5 Chevron "California" stations averages out to less than 3 chargers per station, though the picture in the article shows 4 charging stalls at one location. So is Chevron just dipping its toes in to test the waters? Is this just a marketing move to stay relevant? Are they looking to boost sales in their high-margin, stocked mini-marts?

I suspect most if not for all those reason, which I'm OK with. I've always thought adding EV charging stations to gas stations made logical sense. From a long list of reason/benefits, two that usually pop to mind are that ICE drivers are already familiar with going to / locating gas stations to refuel (recharging seems like a logical extension) and the other is leveraging the existing signage across many highways on which exit to take when locating/needing a gas station.
As more of these oil companies install EV charging stations at their respective gas stations and this soon becomes the status quo, I can't help but think about the questions that get brought up about straight up EV charging locations. Are there an adequate amount of charging stations per location? Is 50 to 100 kWh charging enough for the long term? Are the charging stalls pull-in or drive-thru like with gas pumps which more easily accommodate longer vehicles and trailers? In other words, are these oil companies (and to a degree the EV charging company they are partnering with) putting enough forethought into this for the long and even the near term?
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Putting charging stations at gas stations, particularly those along major highways, makes sense on several fronts. Gas stations often sit on hugely valuable plots, and as EV vehicles gain ground against ICE vehicles, gas stations are going to need to serve those customers in order to keep up their returns on land value. Also, most gas stations earn more profit on their food and convenience sales than their gas sales, and what better way to expand those sales than by attracting customers who have to spend longer charging their cars than filling their gas tanks (at least with current technology)?

However, 50-100 kWh charging speeds are not going to cut it for many EV owners. If there's a high-speed charging station within several miles, an EV driver would save time by driving to it rather than using the closer gas station charger. With Tesla superchargers usually located near interstate interchanges and with Electrify America doing the same plus adding Walmart parking lots into the mix, gas stations are going to have to up their game more than this on a nationwide basis.

I had never thought about access for vehicles with trailers. I wonder if it would be feasible for the EV makers to offer extension cords to buyers that will interface with the plugs on the chargers?

Basically, though, the above article indirectly drives home the point that we are nearing the tipping point where the slow march to provide a nation-wide charging network starts to turn into a race. Tesla, Electrify America, EVgo, ChargePoint, Blink CarCharging, Tritium, SemaConnect, et al. are already in the game. And with Shell and Chevron now dipping their toes into the water, we'll soon see other oil companies wading in.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I think restaurants should have them installed. If you are going to wait an hour or more while your car is charging, you are probably going to want to sit down and grab a bite to eat.

"Are the charging stalls pull-in or drive-thru like with gas pumps which more easily accommodate longer vehicles and trailers?"

I thought the best place for pull throughs would be rest stops. They already have the spaces, and if you are pulling a trailer, chances are you are going someplace farther and more likely to be on the expressway anyway.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
Museums and historical sites also seem like good places for charging stations. What an opportunity to bring people in off the highway to get an hour long charge and visit a historic site for an education. Partner up with one of the third parties with charging networks to provide the infrastructure and share revenues with them. I recommend wide open access an nothing Tesla only.

Alan
Missoula

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Museums and historical sites also seem like good places for charging stations. What an opportunity to bring people in off the highway to get an hour long charge and visit a historic site for an education. Partner up with one of the third parties with charging networks to provide the infrastructure and share revenues with them. I recommend wide open access an nothing Tesla only.

Alan
Missoula
That is a brilliant idea! I love museums and would totally check them out while I wait for a charge.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Once the first Rivian hits the streets all of these silly ideas will disappear and we will focus on all of the problems Rivian needs to correct as anyone that follows Tesla forum will a test to.
Sponsored