Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

During my consultant years my license plate was "RTFM". It stood for "Read The _______ Manual"
A friend had an "RTFM" sign above his desk.

Invariably, someone would occasionally ask what it meant. "Read The Manual". "Wait, what's the F for?" And he'd just tap the sign again.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
RIV denotes the proprietary compound and applies to all tires (primary and spare) and all three sizes they provide. If no RIV is present, it is a tire that was not specifically engineered for Rivian vehicles and you should ask for a replacement from service since that is what you paid for.
Was this information all verbal from the Rivian guide or did they point you in the direction of any documents or threads that would offer further proof. I do not doubt what you are reporting, but I would just like a little more concrete data.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

So Rivian is shipping vehicles with tires that don’t meet their own specifications? Well tie me to an ant hill and smear my ears with jelly!
I needed to smile today....;)

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager

Sponsored

OP
OP

Careychastain

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Was this information all verbal from the Rivian guide or did they point you in the direction of any documents or threads that would offer further proof. I do not doubt what you are reporting, but I would just like a little more concrete data.
Not a guide. Chance encounter on the street.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Not a guide. Chance encounter on the street.
Thank you. Somehow I made that assumption, although your post clearly states that they were an RIT owner and Rivian employee.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I know right! I'm not that guy. I break stuff to figure out how it works. Drives my wife crazy.
I feel sorry for your first girlfriend, haha

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
Tbh, this feels a lot like the BMW star Michelin tires which basically were exactly the same but with an added star and an extra $50 per tire in Cost. My bet is that the tire model number indicates the compound, there is only one electric off roader, who else would that tire be made for at this point.

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
During my consultant years my license plate was "RTFM". It stood for "Read The _______ Manual"
In the computer and/or software world, we have PEBCAK, or "problem exists between keyboard and chair".

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
It is important to note that a number of production vehicles have a "custom" tire from a specific manufacturer. It is common in the sports car world.

For example, a BMW M series or Porsche GT series vehicle may have a standard sized Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire like any other car, but it is specific to that vehicle. Even though the tire size may be the same, it is visually different.

It does NOT mean another tire is going to be unsafe. As long as the size and load specifications meet the vehicle's requirements, it is fine.

Here's an example:

Two Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 versions. One for Porsche, one "regular". The Porsche one even though the same size is actually a bit wider. Note that some folks may select a different tire that's wider (in terms of the first millimeter number) just to match the OEM tire that has a smaller millimeter measurement when in reality they measure exactly the same.

Rivian R1T R1S Check Your Full Size Spare for the “RIV” stamp Porsche.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Check Your Full Size Spare for the “RIV” stamp Regular.JPG

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm a little confused by this thread - is there any evidence that this is actually something to worry about? Why would Rivian's supply chain have non-Rivian-spec tires in it? Why would service centers have them, let alone install them? Of all the things for customers to worry about, why this?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So Rivian is shipping vehicles with tires that don’t meet their own specifications? Well tie me to an ant hill and smear my ears with jelly!
It is the way

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

What flavor?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks for posting this. I had the wheel/tire descriptions already, but the combination of this plus the Pirelli article just sweetens the deal. Who knew we had to be tire experts just because we bought a Rivian.
Helps to kill the time....because there are no vehicles to go adventure with....
Sponsored