Cheap Gas vs Clean Air in a Post-Pandemic World

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Photographs of Delhi, Los Angeles, Bangkok and Beijing in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic reveal a lot. Traffic is way down, the world keeps turning and it's dramatically easier to breathe and see farther. Is this a moment of widespread recognition and acceptance of the advantages of electricity powered transportation or will falling gasoline prices simply promote and prolong business as usual - a pernicious yet affordable degradation of the environment?

I'm not trying to make this a partisan political posting, but the advantages of moving to an alternative energy future seem never more manifest and undeniable, yet here we are/I am - wondering how much will change in a post-COVID-19 world?

My phrasing reveals my sentiments, but I wonder how we can encourage greater sustainability in transportation and stronger support for public safety, health and well being? The two are absolutely tied together.

We do so, I believe, by working together. This forum helps. We make our best efforts as individuals, but we do so in concert with others because acting on our own doesn't sufficiently advance the common cause - public safety, health and well being. So much depends, of course, on what we expect of government and that hinges in large measure, in turn, on where we live, where we grew up, how we grew up, and what we've done where in our lives.

In an ideal world. public safety, health and well being should be basic human rights, and more sustainable means of transportation, communication and commerce are integral to providing and ensuring those rights. Rivian helps us move in the right directions, and we help Rivian with our support.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The biggest obstacles are the more general things that have been made into partisan issues:

* The validity of overwhelming global scientific consensus
* Whether it's actually a good thing that money can buy our politicians
* Whether experts should be trusted over our own gut feelings and instincts or the ones coming from non-expert talking heads we subscribe to
* Whether organizations as unbiased as the AP are in fact biased
* Whether what is actually happening in front of our faces is real

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
When people have asked me about my belief that if I can't do it in an EV, I reconsider if I need to do it at all, and I tell them that days like this could be the norm if they too *demand* EVs from their dealers.

Rivian R1T R1S Cheap Gas vs Clean Air in a Post-Pandemic World la
Sponsored