Sponsored

Charging speed vs. Tesla for same hardwired charger

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
I was watching this video from Ben Sullins: and am a bit puzzled

He has a section re. Rivian's charging speed vs. Tesla and how, all else equal (same hardwired wall charger), the Rivian charges more slowly.

Why would one car charge more slowly than the other, all else equal? I am obviously not an electrician :)
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I was watching this video from Ben Sullins: and am a bit puzzled

He has a section re. Rivian's charging speed vs. Tesla and how, all else equal (same hardwired wall charger), the Rivian charges more slowly.

Why would one car charge more slowly than the other, all else equal? I am obviously not an electrician :)
I didn't watch the video, but I assume they are talking about speed in MPH or %. If so, it is just because Rivian is bigger and less aerodynamic and therefore needs a bigger battery to go the same distance.

It is pulling in electricity just as fast, but since Rivian uses 50% more electricity to travel the same distance, it will take 50% longer to fill it back up. Nothing different than with gas vehicles. It takes less time (and money) to fill up the gas take of a compact sedan than a it does a Pickup truck. Both gained 400 miles of range by filling up, but the sedan only needed 10 gallons and the pickup needed 25 so it takes less than half as long to fill up.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The Rivian requires almost twice as much energy to cover a mile as some Teslas thus for a given charge capacity it will take twice as long to load the same number of miles into the Rivian.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Good video.

Charging speed is why Waypoint chargers are a waste of resources, except when at overnight locations.

DCFC and 240V overnight charging is what works with a Rivian. Topping up for a couple hours on level 2 is almost meaningless.

OP
OP
The_Frog

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
It is pulling in electricity just as fast, but since Rivian uses 50% more electricity to travel the same distance, it will take 50% longer to fill it back up.
Doh. That (of course) makes total sense. I was thinking purely in terms of charging speed, hence my confusion.

:facepalm:

Sponsored

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
This makes total sense. I've been trying to figure out why my Model X can get 35 miles of range per hour at 48A and my R1S gets 25 (at best). I guess that's the difference between moving a 5,000lb, more aerodynamic X versus a 7,000 lb, less aerodynamic (but bad a--!!!) R1S.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Yeah, everyone is forgetting that ICE pickup trucks and large SUVs have crappy MPG rating too!
Sponsored