Sponsored

Charging options in a new home?

What charging preparations would you prefer to see in a new "spec" home?

• One basic 40A EVSE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Clipper Creek makes a 80a (100a breaker) charger so 19.2kW+. The other thing I like about Clipper is they are USA made.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Utility providers trying to push the cost of line upgrades to the consumer is BS. If the dwelling units are built in a residential zoned area they should only be responsible for the portion from the utility pole through their meter and to the panel. If consumers are buying the grid upgrades than we should be charging delivery fees to the utility to use our grid not the other way around.
Totally different topic but our grid is not ready for mass EV adoption we need scores of highly trained workers and many billions just to get the infrastructure replaced that is already decades past it's designed life before we even start work on getting it up to speed to handle renewable power, EV's and the resiliency we need.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't build new without at least a 400 amp main panel. Better to have it than not and you don't have to use it all. I presently have a 100 amp sub panel in a three car garage with Tesla wall connectors at each bay. I've had no issue charging two very low vehicle batteries to 90% over night. Will be adding another EV in the next six months (hope its a Rivian).

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't build new without at least a 400 amp main panel. Better to have it than not and you don't have to use it all. I presently have a 100 amp sub panel in a three car garage with Tesla wall connectors at each bay. I've had no issue charging two very low vehicle batteries to 90% over night. Will be adding another EV in the next six months (hope its a Rivian).
This is key. I would add at least 200A subpanel in the garage alone with V2H wiring (generator switch) to allow multiple car charging+ future V2H switching.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My new garage is going to have 2 of these: Level 2 SolarEdge EV Home Chargers and the main 200 AMP panel at the garage.
If I ever get the permits.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
BTW, Will Rivian provide this, or needs to be bought separately?

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It looks a lot like the EV-lectron.com adaptor.
I'm sure it's a third-party adapter and not something designed or supplied directly by Rivian. Rivian would not want to subject themselves to potential litigation by creating a device with a competitor's proprietary connector. Third parties don't pose the same threat and are typically ignored.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm sure it's a third-party adapter and not something designed or supplied directly by Rivian. Rivian would not want to subject themselves to potential litigation by creating a device with a competitor's proprietary connector. Third parties don't pose the same threat and are typically ignored.
I thought Tesla opened their connector patent for free use?
Sponsored