Sponsored

charging network question (will sound like newbie)

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
it is two story with the second story above the garage. There is no attic space above the living room and the panel is on the far side of living room.

I had not thought of the dryer plug. I do have one. I would need to test if live. How much charge do you get out of that?
Twice as much as from 110v assuming you are using a 15amp receptacle. Quite possible your garage 110v receptacle is 20amp (per code in garages). Keep in mind that you need to derate for continuous EV charging so 24 amps on a 30amp dryer receptacle. You'll get approx. 12 miles/hr. Should be plenty.
Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Twice as much as from 110v assuming you are using a 15amp receptacle. Quite possible your garage 110v receptacle is 20amp (per code in garages). Keep in mind that you need to derate for continuous EV charging so 24 amps on a 30amp dryer receptacle. You'll get approx. 12 miles/hr. Should be plenty.
Actually, you’ll get four times the charge that you would get from a 15 amp 120 V receptacle. Dryer plug is at 240 V so using the dryer plug you would get plenty of charge. Are you using an electric dryer? Even if so, you can replace it with a gas Dryer if there is a gas line to that spot. Let us know.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Actually, you’ll get four times the charge that you would get from a 15 amp 120 V receptacle. Dryer plug is at 240 V so using the dryer plug you would get plenty of charge. Are you using an electric dryer? Even if so, you can replace it with a gas Dryer if there is a gas line to that spot. Let us know.
Math!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

People that rely on DCFC as a primary source either care a lot more about the environment than I do, or have a lot more free time than I do (and I say that as a single guy with no kids)

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I had not thought of the dryer plug. I do have one. I would need to test if live. How much charge do you get out of that?
You would get 24A, 240V = 5.7 kW, or literally half of what a 48A Rivian charger connected to a 60A breaker would get. This would work fine for most people.

The cheapest way to use this would be to get this $220 Mobile EVSE:

https://www.evseadapters.com/produc...le-ev-charger-evse-with-timer-and-wall-mount/

And then buy one of these $40 or $50 adapters for the dryer (depends whether your dryer plug is a 3 blade or 4 blade):

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-10-30p-to-14-50r-adapter/
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30p-14-50p-14-60p-to-14-50r-universal-adapter/

Last edited:

Jhawk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Highlander, Tundra
Occupation
Marketing
My advice, get your home charging setup to be as convenient as possible. When we bought our Model S six years ago I installed a 14-50 receptacle in the divide between our main and third car garage doors. That allowed it to be less than 3ft from the charge port in the driver side rear and it was two steps from the driver door to the wall hanger to execute the plug in. Loved the setup.

Now that we have the R1T with the front plug, my current setup is not nearly as convenient and I’m likely going to be doing some new wiring to get the convenience back. That likely means setting a sub panel in my garage and replacing my current wiring from my main panel to handle 100amp to the sub panel. From there I can keep my current 14-50 outlet powered by the new sub panel and drop a new feed off the panel to the front wall for convenient plugging at the front of the truck.

That’s all way less than the $6k you mentioned you were quoted for your electrical though so I can understand your dilemma.
Sponsored