Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I’m frequently getting charging connect handshake failures. After connecting to the charging port, the vehicle flashes green, then white, 4+ times then the red light at the charge port comes on indicating a charging failure.

I have to disconnect, reconnect another 1 or 2 times while cycling through the handshake to finally start charging.

This happens on most public L2 charges and occasionally on my at-home Rivian charger.

This doesn’t seem normal but wondering if I’m overlooking something. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

13k miles and never had that, including multiple public and private chargers.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? (Soft or hard resets)

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

It’s never happened to me on an L2 charger. L3 DCFC is another story. I recommend documenting it with video and maybe a long press of the hazard lights to time tag the error, then putting in a ticket.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had this happen on our Model 3 recently... something had become lodged inside one of the connection pin ports on the car which prevented the charge handle from seating 100%. It resulted in occasional disconnects, etc.. I used a dental pick to remove the obstruction (it ended up being part of a leaf stem) from the port and it's worked 100% perfect since then.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I had this happen on our Model 3 recently... something had become lodged inside one of the connection pin ports on the car which prevented the charge handle from seating 100%. It resulted in occasional disconnects, etc.. I used a dental pick to remove the obstruction (it ended up being part of a leaf stem) from the port and it's worked 100% perfect since then.
Always remember to floss your charger port daily :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
PappaBolt

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? (Soft or hard resets)
^This. The battery management software need a reboot. All good now. First time I’ve had to do a hard reset.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I've had a similar problem with the mobile charger showing green but the car seems to start charging, front light bar pulses green 2-3 times, then the charger clicks and stays green while the car turns red. I've plugged and unplugged from both ends, tried a 120v outlet in addition to the 240v that has worked previously, and did a hard reset earlier this evening. I had a chat with Service who suggested trying the 120v (did the same thing) and then a sleep cycle, which I'm doing now. I successfully tested a charge today on an EA 150kW that was only delivering under 60kW to everyone. The one issue was the way the charger was set up, it was definitely putting some strain on the charge port as the cable was suspended, but didn't seem to be too much pressure.

This is just after I got my car back from Service yesterday when it wouldn't wake up while at a detail shop getting wrapped with PPF. Turned out the problem was a loose main ground connector - an assembly error covered by warranty.

I guess I'll take a look at the pins and see if there could be anything in the way or other issues.
Sponsored