Charging Extension Cables?

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I see Lectron makes a 20‘ and 40’ extension cable. What are thoughts about need to carry one of these in vehicle? I can imagine configuration of charging station or getting ICEd might make this a handy workaround. Are they safe? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I also would like to see people weigh in on this. I'm wondering if I should get stuff like this, extra adapters and stuff too in case you need to use someone's 220V outlet. I probably won't be taking many trips, but still.

ariscus99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100D
Occupation
Firefighter
I don’t have those particular ones, but I’ve been using a 20’ 12gauge extension cord to charge my Tesla Model S at work for years and had no problems. It slows the charge rate a bit, but nothing too drastic. Will be doing the same with the new R1T.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The extensions are only for level 2 home charging. They will not work for DC fast charging so it won't help you when you are at a fast charger.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I picked up this one from Amazon to keep in the car just in case...

Clear Power 50 ft 10/3 SJTOW...

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Not for use with DC charging but other than that sure why not. Personally won't have much use for it because don't for see the need personally.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I picked up this one from Amazon to keep in the car just in case...

Clear Power 50 ft 10/3 SJTOW...
This looks like a 120volt heavy duty extension cord. Not sure I see the need for this cord.

My question was about an extension charging cord for a L2 charging station. Imagine arriving at a L2 station and the configuration does not allow easy reach of the R1 charging port… or an ICE has parked in the charging stall at a hotel and you need further reach for alternate parking. Is this a real problem or low probability contingency? Luctron makes a 40’ for about $300.

is this something I need?

have long time EV drivers ever wished you had this?

Last edited:

deets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I picked up this extension a week ago in preparation for a long trip mainly so I can extend the mobile EVSE when at AirBnBs. The added benefit I see is that as it supports 48amp continuous, should I need to extend a L2 destination charger, I would be able to max out the 11kw.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I use a J1772 extension at home all the time. Also helps to take to campgrounds, since the position of the pedestal isn't always ideal, and the Rivian portable cord is quite short. We've used it before when stations were ICE'd, but it can be potentially dangerous to other people if you have to string it across a sidewalk.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Interestingly, a nema 14-50 extension is about half the price of a J1772 extension. The J1772 extension would be useful in any L2 scenario but if your primary use was to extend the Rivian portable charger at a cabin, family or friend's house, or camp site that doesn't already have an L2 charger, the nema extension would seem to be the more cost effective option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

deets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interestingly, a nema 14-50 extension is about half the price of a J1772 extension. The J1772 extension would be useful in any L2 scenario but if your primary use was to extend the Rivian portable charger at a cabin, family or friend's house, or camp site that doesn't already have an L2 charger, the nema extension would seem to be the more cost effective option.
I have a Tesla mobile evse with all the adapters, with the J1772 extension it doesn't matter what receptacle is available, it can be extended at the vehicle end.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I am the last one to tell anyone not to get any kind of charging cable or adapter, but I have never had the need for a level 2 extension cord. It's rare to find a 240 plug to begin with outside of a building that you can use, in most cases it is well covered with J1772 chargers that are easy to reach.
I have had many instances however where I needed a 120v extention cord. Sometimes you are traveling to a place and it only has an outdoor outlet around back for example. So I DO carry a nice marine grade 75ft 10 gauge extension cord, oversized so there is no voltage drop whatsoever.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have a Tesla mobile evse with all the adapters, with the J1772 extension it doesn't matter what receptacle is available, it can be extended at the vehicle end.
That's exactly that I stated. I also stated that there is a lower cost option if you don't need ultimate flexibility.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
This looks like a 120volt heavy duty extension cord. Not sure I see the need for this cord.

My question was about an extension charging cord for a L2 charging station. Imagine arriving at a L2 station and the configuration does not allow easy reach of the R1 charging port… or an ICE has parked in the charging stall at a hotel and you need further reach for alternate parking. Is this a real problem or low probability contingency? Luctron makes a 40’ for about $300.

is this something I need?

have long time EV drivers ever wished you had this?

I didn't see L2 in your original post, but now that I've reread it, I do see your mention of a "charging station". My bad.

Though not germane to this thread, anyone looking for a good plug-in extension cord when traveling, I found that one for road trips.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's rare to find a 240 plug to begin with outside of a building that you can use
This is a very good point. Outside of some RV parks, a nema 14-50 receptacle might be hard to come by. Rivian includes 5-15 and 14-50 adapters but not a 14-30 adapter which would allow you to leverage a dryer outlet which might be a little more common.

The extra cost of the J1772 extension definitely provides a little flexibility in terms of outlet type and also works with J1772 destination EVSE in addition to the Rivian portable charger. But slow as it may be, the extra length afforded by that 75 ft 120V extension cord could also come in handy at times.
Sponsored

Last edited: