Sponsored

Charging between Moab, UT and Albuquerque, NM

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Thoughts on how to do this? Plugshare shows nothing other than a few random J1772 going US550 to US491 until Monticello, UT. 311 miles (aka not gonna make it)

Only option I see is leave Albuquerque over to Grants, 100% charge at the AE at Walmart, then squeak the 251miles up US491 miles to Monticello at the Frontier Museum for 125kw chargers. Is 251miles cutting it too close?

Rivian R1T R1S Charging between Moab, UT and Albuquerque, NM 1656451962860
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Take the Santa Fe/Pagosa Springs/Durango route, charging at Chargepoint units in the latter two. The longest stretch is about 150 mi. There is EA in Santa Fe as well.

The Chargepoint units in Pagosa and Durango are the CPE 250 units, which are 125kw shared units. You'd think that it would be possible to get the full 125kw if no one else was there, but unfortunately that's not the case. However, I've found with my eTron that it's not the 62.5kw necessarily either. I've seen around 80kw when alone.

It's probably a little longer, but you don't have a 250mi ass puckering stretch either and at least those are nice little towns for a stop. You'd probably want a longer meal stop somewhere along the way anyway. The elevation in Grants is about 6400ft and it is over 7000 in Monticello, so you have a climb to get there. Any headwind and you're in trouble.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thoughts on how to do this? Plugshare shows nothing other than a few random J1772 going US550 to US491 until Monticello, UT. 311 miles (aka not gonna make it)

Only option I see is leave Albuquerque over to Grants, 100% charge at the AE at Walmart, then squeak the 251miles up US491 miles to Monticello at the Frontier Museum for 125kw chargers. Is 251miles cutting it too close?
Routing in PlugShare kinda sucks. I'd recommend ABRP for routing over PlugShare any day. That said, I'm seeing an EA station in Gallup that it didn't use on the route for whatever reason. There's also a slower ChargePoint unit in Bluff, UT.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
FWIW, here is the ABRP solution. ABQ to Durango is a 1200 ft climb, so keep that in mind. However, ABRP is factoring that in and thinks you should get there with 20% or so. That's using 2.4mi/kw as the reference consumption at 60mph. At 2.2mi/kwh, it would be 13%. So, still a somewhat decent buffer but you'll want to check your winds.

Leave in morning, eat lunch in downtown Durango, nice little trip.

Rivian R1T R1S Charging between Moab, UT and Albuquerque, NM 1656452871016

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Routing in PlugShare kinda sucks. I'd recommend ABRP for routing over PlugShare any day.
I'm kind of noticing that PlugShare isn't always giving me info, even refreshing. I hadn't used ABRP but I'll dig into it, Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leave in morning, eat lunch in downtown Durango, nice little trip.

1656452871016.png
Take the Santa Fe/Pagosa Springs/Durango route, charging at Chargepoint units in the latter two. The longest stretch is about 150 mi. There is EA in Santa Fe as well.

It looks like Durango it is! Thanks everyone.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm kind of noticing that PlugShare isn't always giving me info, even refreshing. I hadn't used ABRP but I'll dig into it, Thanks!
Check the filters you have selected in PlugShare. I just have it show all CCS plugs from any network, any rating, and none of the temp filters like nearby lodging, etc. I also show the coming soon for reference, but I know the ones with a wrench aren't active. The one in Gallup was actually "under" a coming soon station, but I could still tell there was something there before zooming in.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It looks like Durango it is! Thanks everyone.
Leave with 100%, put it in Conserve, make sure you don't have a killer headwind (Windy app is nice), and enjoy the trip. Should be fine on the 214 mi to Durango.

Just to be clear, you're taking this trip soon, and not in February, right?? :)

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did the ABQ to Durango run the other day just fine on a single charge. Not a ton left over, but not a lot of pucker, and went 75+mph on 550 most of the way (just definitely obey the speed limits to a T in Cuba).
Sponsored