Sponsored

Charging behavior on 39.1+ Breaker tripping?

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Anyone else had their breaker trip with the new update.
I haven’t had mine trip in 3 months of use, and have a 60 amp dedicated breaker for my 48amp charge.
The new updates mentions AC charger performance at high temp, so kind of made me wonder if something change.
It could just be coincidental with the update but wanted to see if it happened to others.
I assume they can see if there is an increase in charging failures with the update.
Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Interesting.

I’ve charged once, same Amperage and breaker. But have not tripped.

Only charged for like 30 minutes though.

Will report back after the next major charge.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Flip the breaker off and check the wiring at the breaker and at the EVSE. Make sure the screw downs are still tight. EVSEs end up thermally cycling the wiring way more than most uses do, and it can be difficult to get the proper tension on the terminals with how big and inflexible the wiring is.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I did 60kwh charge on my pulsar Wallbox (48amp) after the latest update with no issues.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
40A charge last night, no issues. 39.3.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

40A charge last night, no issues. 39.3.
Anyone else had their breaker trip with the new update.
I haven’t had mine trip in 3 months of use, and have a 60 amp dedicated breaker for my 48amp charge.
The new updates mentions AC charger performance at high temp, so kind of made me wonder if something change.
It could just be coincidental with the update but wanted to see if it happened to others.
I assume they can see if there is an increase in charging failures with the update.
Ok. Got another trip again. I am going to call service to see what is going on. The truck does not behave the same for charging. It is kind of eerily quiet. Very little fan noise or rev ups that I would normally hear. I think I got a trick with my Halloween update.

OP
OP

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I guess I could try a hard reset and see how it behaves.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Ok. Got another trip again. I am going to call service to see what is going on. The truck does not behave the same for charging. It is kind of eerily quiet. Very little fan noise or rev ups that I would normally hear. I think I got a trick with my Halloween update.
I suspect the update actually improved charger performance by not wasting energy running fans when not necessary.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is going to be a problem with your electric circuit, not the truck.

Even if the charging protocol of the truck was messed up in the last update, it still wouldn't trip a breaker in your scenario.

The EVSE rated at 48 amps shouldn't pull more than 48 amps regardless of what the truck tells it to do.

I think either the EVSE is bad or your writing/connections are bad.

Are you using the Rivian Wall charger?

Last edited:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Which EVSE do you have? Also, is your circuit wired with a GFCI breaker? They are known to cause issues with EV charging. That is a key reason why many people recommend hard wiring the EVSE because code doesn't require GFCI breaker on hard wire installs.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Probably not the truck, rather a coincidence that your circuit or EVSE started acting up around the same time as that update. I would either check it yourself or have an electrician take a look at it. Something is off there. If your EVSE is not hard wired that also can cause trouble if the outlet is not true industrial quality.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
As mentioned above by @svet-am, if it's a GFCI, look in that direction first. Check wiring connections are still tight, etc. Also, it does not happen frequently, but breakers do sometimes "go bad" and trip easily/excessively.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Yup, I dealt with a bad/old breaker on my oven as mentioned by @Zoidz . Once I replaced it things were fine.

OP
OP

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

This is going to be a problem with your electric circuit, not the truck.

Even if the charging protocol of the truck was messed up in the last update, it still wouldn't trip a breaker in your scenario.

The EVSE rated at 48 amps shouldn't pull more than 48 amps regardless of what the truck tells it to do.

I think either the EVSE is bad or your writing/connections are bad.

Are you using the Rivian Wall charger?
It is a Rivian Wall charger. I put in a service request so we will see what they say. I haven’t looked at the wiring, but it is kind of odd that it works fine at lower amperage. E.g. 44. When I looked previously all appeared well.

FNWY2004

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 04 Porsche 911 GT3
Occupation
Real Estate
As others have suggested, turn power off and check the torque of all connections from the breaker at the panel to the charger. This isn’t necessarily a load issue, it could be heat. High resistance connections create extreme heat. Heat will cause a breaker to nuisance trip even though the load is within the breakers specified range. Are you hardwired at the charger or is there a plug? If plug, get rid of it and hardwire. These chargers draw too much amperage for long periods of time for even a 50A plug to support long term due to the fact that moveable contacts spring resistance will weaken over time with load(heat). Those are a fire waiting to happen. Hardwired connection from panel to unit is your safest bet.

Also, an internal failing contact of your 60A breaker can exhibit this behavior as well. At my old company, we used to test single pole and double pole spare breakers for data centers. They shipped them to us by the 100’s. We found about a 5% failure rate for brand new breakers that trip too early when current tested at 300% rated capacity.

****These are just suggestions based on your description of the problem. Only hands on troubleshooting will solve your issue.****
Sponsored

Last edited: