Charging before Wall Charger Delivered

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks like my RT1 will be delivered on Saturday, but no clue on when I will get the wall charger. It sounds like my best option will be charging off my dryer outlet. I assume others have ran into the same problem? Did you use an extension cord? It looks like the provided length is only 4 feet....
Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
There are many options on Amazon to help solve your charging needs once you identify what type of NEMA plug you currently have installed in your house/garage.

I would assume the Rivian charger comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug, so if you find an extension cord that will allow you to plug in the NEMA 14-50 plug into to whatever you have installed in your house/garage you should be fine for charging.

this has been floating around on the Taycan forum for a while, but it is really useful info:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/

And, congrats on getting your car!

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Looks like my RT1 will be delivered on Saturday, but no clue on when I will get the wall charger. It sounds like my best option will be charging off my dryer outlet. I assume others have ran into the same problem? Did you use an extension cord? It looks like the provided length is only 4 feet....
You most likely can't use the included charger on your dryer outlet. Dryer outlets are generally only 30 amps and the included charger requires at least a 40 amp circuit.

If you can find a used Telsa mobile charger and a Tesla adapter, you can use that on a dryer circuit with the right pigtail.

There are probably other chargers that work on 30 amp circuits, but the Tesla is the only one I know.

OP
OP
bdavis171

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You most likely can't use the included charger on your dryer outlet. Dryer outlets are generally only 30 amps and the included charger requires at least a 40 amp circuit.

If you can find a used Telsa mobile charger and a Tesla adapter, you can use that on a dryer circuit with the right pigtail.

There are probably other chargers that work on 30 amp circuits, but the Tesla is the only one I know.
Maybe this...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

You should be able to limit the charging current in the R1T infotainment system, so you can still use the dryer plug if you set the max current to 24A.

Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I had to charge for about 2 weeks before I could get a circuit installed for my Wall Charger, and was able to make due with standard 120V wall outlet charging every time the truck wasn’t in use combined with one EA fast charging session after a weekend day trip to the mountains.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
You should be able to limit the charging current in the R1T infotainment system, so you can still use the dryer plug if you set the max current to 24A.
While it would work (with a DIY hack that puts a 14-50 outlet on a 30 amp circuit), it certainly would not be legal/code compliant.

OP
OP
bdavis171

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
While it would work (with a DIY hack that puts a 14-50 outlet on a 30 amp circuit), it certainly would not be legal/code compliant.
Thanks, just looking for a hopefully temporary solution until the wall charger comes.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thanks, just looking for a hopefully temporary solution until the wall charger comes.
So I'll answer with a question - do you have any friends with a Tesla Wall Connector? If so buy a Tesla -> 1772 converter to put on the tesla handle and throw them a few bucks each time you need to charge. If you absolutely want to charge from home, go buy the appropriate 14/50 or 6/50 male/female ends from HD or Lowes, buy some 6 or 8 awg SOOW wire and make yourself an extension cord to plug into the dryer outlet.
Dirty_B

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Do a search on youtube. Many of the wall chargers available (I'm pretty sure Rivian Charger included) have dip switches inside. With the dip switches, you can select your maximum output, based on the wire size and breaker size available at your house. In order to use the 48 amp charge rate, you need a 60 amp breaker and appropriately sized wire to feed 60amps. Unfortunately, you dryer plug won't work at 48 amps, but it will probably be good at 24 amps, if you configure your wall charger correctly.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Am I wrong in thinking that you can just plug the included adapter into a standard wall plug (at an obviously significantly reduced charge rate)? You may only get like a few KW/h this way but it should be enough for overnight charging with local driving.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I plan on using our Tesla connector with this until I can get a 1772 installed:
Lectron [ Only for J1772 EVs] Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black)

Bought it on Amazon
Dirty_B

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Do a search on youtube. Many of the wall chargers available (I'm pretty sure Rivian Charger included) have dip switches inside. With the dip switches, you can select your maximum output, based on the wire size and breaker size available at your house. In order to use the 48 amp charge rate, you need a 60 amp breaker and appropriately sized wire to feed 60amps. Unfortunately, you dryer plug won't work at 48 amps, but it will probably be good at 24 amps, if you configure your wall charger correctly.
The portable charger included with the vehicle detects which dongle is attached to set its maximum charging rate. There are no user-accessible dip switches.

The maximum rate can be configured lower using the charging menu on the Rivian's screen.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Am I wrong in thinking that you can just plug the included adapter into a standard wall plug (at an obviously significantly reduced charge rate)? You may only get like a few KW/h this way but it should be enough for overnight charging with local driving.
Literally 1 mi/hr. gain. Was not enough for me and my 20 mi. commute.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This.
Sponsored