Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I just charged with the 120v and used EA for a couple weeks before the Charger was installed. it came about 4 days after I got the truck.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is actually lots of code lateral allowances for circuit breakers being less than plugs at 240v.
There actually is not. 40A is really the only exception because there isn't a 40A NEMA plug.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
There actually is not. 40A is really the only exception because there isn't a 40A NEMA plug.
As long as it's a single circuit on a single plug, nec Is wide open

As per NEC 210.21(B)(1) (exceptions omitted for clarity):

(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I am going to be moving across the country next week to a rental home and thus won't be able to install a charger. I was looking at buying a product that splits the dryer outlet called Neocharge: https://www.getneocharge.com/smart-splitter

Any thoughts on this?
Why not ask your landlord? Most will let you put in the 14-50!l at your cost.

Sponsored

JoeBama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Why not ask your landlord? Most will let you put in the 14-50!l at your cost.
I only plan on renting for a year, and not expecting my truck until the fall...but that is something to consider as delivery gets closer.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I only plan on renting for a year, and not expecting my truck until the fall...but that is something to consider as delivery gets closer.
Price it out. If it's $500-1000, it might be worth it.

My landlord did a 14-50 right next to the panel for $250.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I plan on using our Tesla connector with this until I can get a 1772 installed:
Lectron [ Only for J1772 EVs] Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black)

Bought it on Amazon
Dirty_B
Have you received your R1T and confirmed the Lectron adapter works with the R1T?

Jonnysrivian

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am going to be moving across the country next week to a rental home and thus won't be able to install a charger. I was looking at buying a product that splits the dryer outlet called Neocharge: https://www.getneocharge.com/smart-splitter

Any thoughts on this?
Yes, this is exactly what I use for charging at home. Got it on Amazon and it's working excellently for me. I'm also a renter and wasn't able to install a 240 circuit. The Smart Splitter was the only product I found of its type that is UL listed and that I could trust. Plus it was very easy to install

JoeBama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Yes, this is exactly what I use for charging at home. Got it on Amazon and it's working excellently for me. I'm also a renter and wasn't able to install a 240 circuit. The Smart Splitter was the only product I found of its type that is UL listed and that I could trust. Plus it was very easy to install
Do you get ok charging speeds on it comparatively? I'm not sure if you've received your R1 yet, but overall for whatever vehicle?

Sponsored

Jonnysrivian

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do you get ok charging speeds on it comparatively? I'm not sure if you've received your R1 yet, but overall for whatever vehicle?
yes, still pretty fast charging (level 2)! I always wake up with a full battery with my R1T. I get about 24 miles of charge per hour on the dryer circuit. Would be basically the same for any other EV as well.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
yes, still pretty fast charging (level 2)! I always wake up with a full battery with my R1T. I get about 24 miles of charge per hour on the dryer circuit. Would be basically the same for any other EV as well.
How are you getting 24 miles an hour on a dryer circuit? At most that is a 40 amp circuit and more likely a 30 amp circuit. 24 miles an hour on the R1T would require a 48 amp draw from a 60 amp circuit.

Sounds like you may be overcooking that circuit, that could be dangerous.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I get about 24 miles of charge per hour on the dryer circuit. Would be basically the same for any other EV as well.
That cannot be true. Different EVs have different efficiency, and consume different amounts of energy to travel a mile, therefore they cannot all get the same (or even similar) range gained per hour of charging.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I have been starting to experiment with a couple of different charging set-ups as I get close to moving into a house and actually have access to electricity to charge vs where I have been living.

First charged the R1T on a 240v 50a circuit direct to a 14-50 plug. Got 8kWh and maybe a 12 - 15mi/hr rate. We get just a little less than double double that rate on our older Model S straight out of the wall.

Have now installed two Tesla Gen3 chargers and using the adaptor, have charged the Rivian through this set-up (same 240v / 50a circuit). Rate is now ~11kWh through the Tesla wall connector but (oddly?), the miles/hr charge is the same ~15mi/hr.

This is early testing and set-up, but thought some might find the numbers useful.
Sponsored