Charger availability at Sacramento SC?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
With ski season approaching, my only range anxiety is getting from San Francisco to Truckee, CA (200 miles, uphill, in the snow/cold, probably in traffic).

RAN barely exists today but I can't help but notice that the Sacramento SC is not that far of a detour from my typical Tahoe route.

Anybody know if there are (free) Rivian chargers accessible here (i.e. in the parking lot)? Might be nice to get some free juice halfway up...
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
If you are on a road trip (and not staying overnight), then "Free" charging is not really something you should expect.

It's unlikely you are going to to make it from SF to Truckee on one charge in the snow season.

Go to an Electrify America station in Auburn and charge for 30-40 minutes on the way up. Or, wait like 8 hours at some Level 2 charger that may be free somewhere.

Rivian is putting in some chargers at REI in Sacramento; I just saw them Yesterday, they look almost finished. But I think they are just Level 2 chargers. Not something you'd use on a road trip.

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

There is a RAN station planned for Cal Expo. I don't know when it is scheduled to complete. If you take Business 80, it will be right off the Cal Expo exit. It'll likely to be free for a while, like the rest of the RAN network.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...s-map-via-google-maps.1721/page-16#post-85138

Otherwise, the Electrify America station in Rocklin is a better choice for most than the one in Auburn. There are more chargers, and it is very close to a Panera, so you can have coffee or a snack. I don't know why, but it has had complementary charging for the last few days. Actually, my guess is that they are making it complementary since at least one charger isn't working. If you don't get a spot here, then Auburn is 20 miles down the road as your backup.

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Sorry, I forgot to answer your original question. I didn't see any publicly accessible chargers at the SC parking lot.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Sorry, I forgot to answer your original question. I didn't see any publicly accessible chargers at the SC parking lot.
Thanks. They have them in the parking lot at the SC in San Francisco so I just assumed it was a thing that they would do everywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
There is a RAN station planned for Cal Expo. I don't know when it is scheduled to complete. If you take Business 80, it will be right off the Cal Expo exit. It'll likely to be free for a while, like the rest of the RAN network.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...s-map-via-google-maps.1721/page-16#post-85138

Otherwise, the Electrify America station in Rocklin is a better choice for most than the one in Auburn. There are more chargers, and it is very close to a Panera, so you can have coffee or a snack. I don't know why, but it has had complementary charging for the last few days. Actually, my guess is that they are making it complementary since at least one charger isn't working. If you don't get a spot here, then Auburn is 20 miles down the road as your backup.
Yeah, I saw that on the map. A bit out of way (and, to your point, doesn't yet exist).

I've used the EVgo chargers at the Whole Foods in Roseville (Pete's Coffee, Pet Food Express), which has plenty of good distractions while charging. I'll check out the EA in Rocklin.

Really wish Rivian had been be prioritizing at least a few RAN solutions on the major ski corridors (e.g. Denver to Vail, SF to Tahoe, etc.) Some of us are about to do our first ski season in an EV and the non-Tesla options may or may not currently inspire confidence.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Yeah, I saw that on the map. A bit out of way (and, to your point, doesn't yet exist).

I've used the EVgo chargers at the Whole Foods in Roseville (Pete's Coffee, Pet Food Express), which has plenty of good distractions while charging. I'll check out the EA in Rocklin.

Really wish Rivian had been be prioritizing at least a few RAN solutions on the major ski corridors (e.g. Denver to Vail, SF to Tahoe, etc.) Some of us are about to do our first ski season in an EV and the non-Tesla options may or may not currently inspire confidence.
Not exactly encouraging...

Rivian R1T R1S Charger availability at Sacramento SC? 1663618908600

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Thanks. They have them in the parking lot at the SC in San Francisco so I just assumed it was a thing that they would do everywhere.
I didn't not see any when I was there. Pretty sure there aren't any at the SC.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Definitely not encouraging if you are in search of a RAN or free charger. There are plenty of paid options. I am more concerned about charging once we are at the lake. Chargers were pretty sparse and lots of reported issues with non-functional chargers. I didn't want to install a charger at my house, but might be forced to given the poor state of charging network in Tahoe (and the fact that I don't want to wait for a charger during the busy season).

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Definitely not encouraging if you are in search of a RAN or free charger. There are plenty of paid options. I am more concerned about charging once we are at the lake. Chargers were pretty sparse and lots of reported issues with non-functional chargers. I didn't want to install a charger at my house, but might be forced to given the poor state of charging network in Tahoe (and the fact that I don't want to wait for a charger during the busy season).
I tried a bunch of options on the north side. A variety of Tesla destination chargers scattered around that worked fine with an adapter. Some fast chargers in downtown Truckee that were crazy expensive due to extra fees. Very slow chargers in the village at Northstar... If Tesla opens up their network there are lots of chargers at Raleys and Safeway. I'm trickle charging on a lamp socket currently at the cabin, which isn't ideal.

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I tried a bunch of options on the north side. A variety of Tesla destination chargers scattered around that worked fine with an adapter. Some fast chargers in downtown Truckee that were crazy expensive due to extra fees. Very slow chargers in the village at Northstar... If Tesla opens up their network there are lots of chargers at Raleys and Safeway. I'm trickle charging on a lamp socket currently at the cabin, which isn't ideal.
Same thing in Tahoe City. Chargers are mostly unavailable and need repairs, have extra fees or are r e a l l y slow. I did see the EVGo just upgraded the chargers at the safeway in town, so hoping those work now. I cannot imagine charging in 110v plug in the middle of winter. Probably just adding enough to keep the battery warm. LOL

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Same thing in Tahoe City. Chargers are mostly unavailable and need repairs, have extra fees or are r e a l l y slow. I did see the EVGo just upgraded the chargers at the safeway in town, so hoping those work now. I cannot imagine charging in 110v plug in the middle of winter. Probably just adding enough to keep the battery warm. LOL
I know. Not ideal.

J__Fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
I actually just drove by the upcoming RAN site at the CalExpo REI in Sacramento. They seem pretty far along. 4 level 3’s (one a pull through) and 2 level 2’s. I asked the guys working on the chargers and they didn’t know for sure when it would be up, but it looks like it could be soon. Would be great when it is, there is a Starbucks, Costco, REI, and a subway.

Rivian R1T R1S Charger availability at Sacramento SC? 324F9AD8-38CE-4F41-8104-1F95D7DA5143

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I actually just drove by the upcoming RAN site at the CalExpo REI in Sacramento. They seem pretty far along. 4 level 3’s (one a pull through) and 2 level 2’s. I asked the guys working on the chargers and they didn’t know for sure when it would be up, but it looks like it could be soon. Would be great when it is, there is a Starbucks, Costco, REI, and a subway.

324F9AD8-38CE-4F41-8104-1F95D7DA5143.jpeg
Great intel. Thanks for sharing!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
They do this mostly to charge customer vehicles, deliveries, etc.

A level 2 charger is just too slow unless you want to leave it overnight
Sponsored