Sponsored

Chances of R1S/R1T winning Motor Trend SUVOTY and TOTY 2022?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-rivian-r1s-electric-suv-pros-cons-review/

R1S among this year’s finalists, but from the review it doesn’t look like it will win
Sounds like part of the problem is the fact that it's the only EV SUV included and the judges are unfamiliar with driving an EV with one-pedal.

The other issue is that Driver+ isn't hands free yet and they seem to think it is? I'm guessing they probably also didn't take the time to turn on the 'all-the-time' lane centering, as that actually works quite well if you're using it places where you don't have to intentionally hug lines.

The sunroof is going to be awesome for winter time here and was a non-issue for summer time. Sucks that they choose what happens on the hottest day in the hottest area as their baseline.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

IMO trucks are the easier one to battle you are fighting against companies like ford and chevy and lets be honest their products suck. The Rivian is like a new vision of what a truck should be with no compromises. The SUV is fighting a different world of which land rover, BMW and Audi have their hand in the pot.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Sounds like part of the problem is the fact that it's the only EV SUV included and the judges are unfamiliar with driving an EV with one-pedal.

The other issue is that Driver+ isn't hands free yet and they seem to think it is? I'm guessing they probably also didn't take the time to turn on the 'all-the-time' lane centering, as that actually works quite well if you're using it places where you don't have to intentionally hug lines.

The sunroof is going to be awesome for winter time here and was a non-issue for summer time. Sucks that they choose what happens on the hottest day in the hottest area as their baseline.
There are several other EV SUVs in the running, including BMW iX, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, and they also tested MB EQS SUV. Even though I love one pedal driving, I can see why some people might not be crazy about it, and it would be pretty simple for Rivian to offer a coasting option.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Valid concerns from the R1S review. Not having a way to cover the roof glass is a big miss. It's totally impractical on hot summer days. I get not having CarPlay as a way to force people to adopt your interface and get more data on how to improve it quicker. It would be great if they added it as an option eventually, though.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Rivian R1T R1S Chances of R1S/R1T winning Motor Trend SUVOTY and TOTY 2022? 1666265808538

Worthy winner from what I’ve read about it, but certainly not my cup of tea…

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The MotorTrend R1S review posted the other day dropped hints it was out of the running. IMO the"SUV" category has become way too broad for this type of single award. How can you even begin to compare a Nissan Rogue to a Bronco Raptor to a R1S to a Suburban, or in the finalists, a CRV to a R1S to Sportage to a Wagoneer? I've driven rental CRVs and Sportages, "c'mon man...".

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I'm glad they brought up the "roasting" problem. Totally impractical in hot climates.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I would be surprised if it won. Really way to close to last years R1T winner.

My guess is it will win in a later year with the new Rivian motors, 800 volt architecture, and bi-directional charging. Maybe 2023 or 2024.
Sponsored