SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Klasse seems legit. Maybe I'll give it a go on the Riv.
You won't be disappointed and it is very affordable given how good it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
You won't be disappointed and it is very affordable given how good it is.
Notice: I'll probably be hitting you up on your exact application methods since you clearly have a longtime experience with the products.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22ā€ black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
I wanted to wait for 6 weeks or so before I made a true assessment of getting ceramic coating on my Audi S6. All I can say is that it has been incredible and a very worthwhile investment (more on this in a bit). Audis are notoriously/infamously known for brake dust, especially the fronts (for obvious reasons). L*** Automotive is the most well known and hyped company that does this along the Wasatch Front in Utah. Their prices are ridiculously expensive compared to others and they push their product with sales gimmicks like "24 hour oven baking", etc. I was lucky enough to meet an individual who works at the largest Toyota/Lexus dealership in the intermountain west. He moonlights with his own detailing, tinting, and coating business. His price for a full body, wheel, and window ceramic coat job is less than half of the aforementioned company. It cost me $1700.

The way that water beads and falls off is quite stunning from the first rains and washes I've done. (I'm to the point now that I'm not even thinking about it when washing or when it's raining, them I'm like "Oh yeah!"). The biggest standout, however, is on the wheels. Brake dust has been reduced by about 80%. A good pressure wash removes most of the remaining dust with minimal effort. A 5 minute wipe down with a microfiber cloth helps get the rest in any nooks and crannies. I'm not sure of the longevity on the windshield, but I've made two 400 mile drives, and to see things like grasshoppers just bounce off of the windshield vs. a visibility crushing splat is something I've never seen before. Granted there have been a few genuine splats, but they're mostly eliminated with a few sprays with the WS wipers. This same drive, same time of year in the past has always made a complete mess of the front of the car and windshield. A few splats have required a small bit of effort with the gas station handheld, and a couple have needed the old pressure wand at the car wash along with a wipe down of "road film" from whatever with the cloth.

Needless to say, this gentleman will be getting another job in the near future on an R1T. ;)

Side note: This video has me quite interested in a $100 product package from TWraps for the lights (I'll probably skip the door handles). I wish the vid showed more lights on/lights off & daytime/nighttime look and effects.

Iā€™ll be installing the headlight tint, taillight tint, and fog lights next Tuesday Wednesday ;) Iā€™ll try to get some pics of the final product when complete for ya

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™ll be installing the headlight tint, taillight tint, and fog lights next Tuesday Wednesday ;) Iā€™ll try to get some pics of the final product when complete for ya
Sweet, what tint level did you get? Are you doing middle bar and side lights as well?

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
New home sales
Sweet, what tint level did you get? Are you doing middle bar and side lights as well?
I went with the darkest (I think itā€™s called 30%) and yea full front kit and rear kit and then the yellow fog lights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went with the darkest (I think itā€™s called 30%) and yea full front kit and rear kit and then the yellow fog lights.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with lights on and off. I'd like to get some for my wall charger since it will be in a carport for the time being (going to get another charger in garage at my 2nd home). Don't want a big green glow emitting from my house at night šŸ˜. I'll improvise with something.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
New home sales
I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with lights on and off. I'd like to get some for my wall charger since it will be in a carport for the time being (going to get another charger in garage at my 2nd home). Don't want a big green glow emitting from my house at night šŸ˜. I'll improvise with something.
Haha! Thatā€™s a pretty good thought tbhā€¦ I remember when I first got my truck my daughter came to me freaking out saying there was an alien in the garage (she saw the green light under the door) was both hilarious and adorable.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Notice: I'll probably be hitting you up on your exact application methods since you clearly have a longtime experience with the products.
I used to be hands-on with my vehicles but haven't in a very long time. I have a detailer that I've been going to for 10 years now and let the pros do it for me (and he's a good dude and I like to give him the business).

I purchase one of the kits from here https://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html#

Basic steps are hand wash and dry. Clay bar (optional but helps with having the polish/sealant go on smoothly).

The gloss sealant goes on very smoothly and is as easy as wipe on, let dry, wipe off.

https://www.autogeek.net/klasalpolsea.html

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Maybe a dumb question - When it's time to remove old ceramic coat before applying new coat, it seems machine polishing is recommended. When machine polishing, how would you know whether old coat is removed or not?

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a dumb question - When it's time to remove old ceramic coat before applying new coat, it seems machine polishing is recommended. When machine polishing, how would you know whether old coat is removed or not?
Good question. I'll likely be selling my Audi w/ceramic before then. If not, the answer to this question will be good to know. If it really lasts 6 - 7 years, I doubt it will come into play in my sell/keep situation (however, I put about 4k/year on the '18 Audi S6 and I was seriously considering swapping for a '20 S6 until I test drove one. I don't care what anyone else says, the 6 cylinder "upgrade" can't hold a candle to the V8). Conversely, my friend just had his absolutely cherry '66 Mustang, '60 something" Vette, and new Lexus LC500 ceramic treated. The Stang and Vette will likely see less miles that Cameron's dad's cars in Ferris Buehler. The LC will see a few more miles (summer only), but still...guess it remains to be seen how much a quality ceramic coat really holds up to the elements.

Thanks to this forum, I've been educated on the alternatives to ceramic coat. As of this moment, I think I'll be treating the R1T with Klasse sealant. In contrast, all the trucks I currently, and have previously owned (Tundras, Titans, Rams, Tahoes, Jeeps), were treated like true mountain trucks. I never let tree limbs, rough trails, or anything stop me. I've always had "Rocky Mountain Pin Stripes" galore. Just cleaned em up a bit before I sold em, if even that. I know I'll be pampering my R1T like a little baby for a while...but the reason I'm buying it is to USE it and put it to through the gauntlet. YOLO will be my ongoing theme with the R1T - I hope. Who really knows? If someone wants to buy it for $120k in a few months, I may feel differently and go forward with a max pack or stick with my rock solid Tundra. I had a near death experience that ate up nearly 10 years of my life in beginning recovery in 2009 and continuing to this day, so the adventure continues, and I'm gonna stomp on it. TMI - sorry.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
New home sales
Hereā€™s the photos I promised. Honestly doesnā€™t seem to affect the lights much at all. Major difference when lights are off but really tough to notice a difference when lights are on.

Rivian R1T R1S Ceramic Coating has been incredible and very worthwhile investment 3952034E-B26E-47A4-B532-E3FFC33E59FF

Rivian R1T R1S Ceramic Coating has been incredible and very worthwhile investment D2E5E01A-FD96-4CD3-821D-D5949C4F1F6B

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
New home sales
Hereā€™s the photos I promised. Honestly doesnā€™t seem to affect the lights much at all. Major difference when lights are off but really tough to notice a difference when lights are on.

3952034E-B26E-47A4-B532-E3FFC33E59FF.jpeg

D2E5E01A-FD96-4CD3-821D-D5949C4F1F6B.jpeg
(Hereā€™s lights off before and after)

Rivian R1T R1S Ceramic Coating has been incredible and very worthwhile investment 03370D4F-7FE1-476D-94FB-B69FDF07E537

Rivian R1T R1S Ceramic Coating has been incredible and very worthwhile investment FAD50057-C287-4B52-BB0B-D0782F25EA2D

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Hereā€™s lights off before and after)

03370D4F-7FE1-476D-94FB-B69FDF07E537.jpeg

FAD50057-C287-4B52-BB0B-D0782F25EA2D.jpeg
Nice, that looks super tight (really good) with lights off. I think I'll be doing the same with mine. How about pics with the main beams on, much differenence? Thanks for the posts.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I use Griot's 3-in-1 ceramic spray on wax. Spray, wipe, buff.

Not as good as the full install, but only takes 15 minutes and do two coats 24 hours apart, then reapply every couple of months gets you most of the way there.
This is exactly what I've done on my wife Lexus and the R1T. Synthetic clay bar first, Meguiars 105/205 and then Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray. Two months beads unbelievably and the same on the windshield. This is in the AZ desert summer as well......

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Klasse is pretty hard to mess up. I used an orbital with a paint correction head for the Klasse polish and a fine polishing head for the Klasse sealant, which I did twice after washing and clay barring. The sealant was a little tough to wipe off for me. Someone said they used a slightly damp microfiber and that did help. Three months on itā€™s still in great shape, parked on driveway. I did keep it garaged for one week after application to let the sealant fully cure.
Sponsored