Sponsored

Center Display question for those of you who own Teslas....

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I am curious if you can dim or turn off the center screen while driving? I realize on the model 3 and Y this is probably impractical due to it being the only display.... I am hoping Rivian provides a way to turn off the middle screen at least at night.... (since there is a drivers display for speed and important driving info) I like the cabin to be super dark at night.... I'm kind of bummed that my wife's 8 inch display in her Forester won't go completely dark.... Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this...
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There is a display brightness control which can be put in manual or automatic mode. I am not sure if the minimum setting is off. I doubt it. But at night the display switches to light on dark rather than the daytime dark on light. Much like what happens if you click the light bulb symbol at the top of this page.

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
There is a display brightness control which can be put in manual or automatic mode. I am not sure if the minimum setting is off. I doubt it. But at night the display switches to light on dark rather than the daytime dark on light. Much like what happens if you click the light bulb symbol at the top of this page.
My wife's Forester does that as well but I am hoping for an off option... Granted it's not a show stopper... just a nice to have. Her old Honda Pilot had a simple button to turn off the screen... in fact it let you manually choose between daytime, nighttime, and off.... Granted the only drawback to that was that at night if you wanted to toggle it back on... it would toggle to daytime first and about blind you........ My guess is that there won't be a completely off option because there won't be a physical button to turn it back on.... just another thing to wait and see....

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I prefer dark mode day and night. Hopefully that will be an option in the config.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My guess is that there won't be a completely off option because there won't be a physical button to turn it back on.... just another thing to wait and see....
Android already includes a feature to wake the screen with a double tap. It's how I always do it on my phone.

Sponsored

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
I hope there is an off button too. It can be annoying to have a bunch of extra light in my face at night. Especially when you are out in the middle of nowhere without all the light pollution from a city.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I wonder of the new polestar2 has an off button for the center console since it runs on android

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I wonder of the new polestar2 has an off button for the center console since it runs on android
I would assume they would carry that feature forward from the existing Volvo side as the XC40 recharge is the same platform.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This is something I was pretty worried about before I bought my Tesla - I really hate unnecessary light, especially at night. I'd hoped they would use OLEDs or something to minimize backlighting.

In practice, it hasn't been an issue at all. The headlights are very good (so exterior visibility is high even when it's pitch black) and as others have noted, the screen dims and switches to "dark mode" at night. I don't find it any worse (and maybe a little less distracting) than the typical instrument panel lighting on a traditional dashboard.

Much worse is not having auto-dimming mirrors in my Y, inexplicably since the 3 had them. I find few things as distracting-verging-on-dangerous as being blinded by some asshole's brights, or the headlights he never aimed after he lifted his truck six inches. I really hope Rivian has good electrochromic dimming on all mirrors.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
You could always get a cloth screen cover that stretches onto the display and then put it in the glovebox when you don't need it.

Sponsored

pbelo2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Risk Consultant
I am curious if you can dim or turn off the center screen while driving? I realize on the model 3 and Y this is probably impractical due to it being the only display.... I am hoping Rivian provides a way to turn off the middle screen at least at night.... (since there is a drivers display for speed and important driving info) I like the cabin to be super dark at night.... I'm kind of bummed that my wife's 8 inch display in her Forester won't go completely dark.... Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this...
Does anyone know if the center display rotates?

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My wife's Forester does that as well but I am hoping for an off option... Granted it's not a show stopper... just a nice to have. Her old Honda Pilot had a simple button to turn off the screen... in fact it let you manually choose between daytime, nighttime, and off.... Granted the only drawback to that was that at night if you wanted to toggle it back on... it would toggle to daytime first and about blind you........ My guess is that there won't be a completely off option because there won't be a physical button to turn it back on.... just another thing to wait and see....
Where is the display brightness control?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs