SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You know what I wouldn't have the guts to do? Cut that cable without A LOT of knowledge about it being de-energized
Someone mentioned they've seen their system, which is a single cable that basically treats a CCS adapter as a holster to the SC plug. Looks normal for Tesla owners, and then for CCS users the adapter would get unlocked from the charger base. I'd assume they'd be smart enough to include linger cables, but maybe not. I haven't seen them modify them in Europe and the short length may be part of their strategy with the levels of current they push.
That would be very elegant and functional.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You know what I wouldn't have the guts to do? Cut that cable without A LOT of knowledge about it being de-energized
If I were Tesla, I'd leave it energized so that the 🤬 holes who go to cut it get a nice surprise. I'd post a sign that says "Danger, do not cut - high voltage" to cover them legally, then fry away...

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
But seriously... when? Before or after the cybertruck releases?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

But seriously... when? Before or after the cybertruck releases?
Cybertruck is going to ship with CCS. With the Tesla connector limited to 400V systems because of the design, I have to believe they are going to do something different than the other vehicles to make the recharge rate competitive.

Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Cybertruck is going to ship with CCS. With the Tesla connector limited to 400V systems because of the design, I have to believe they are going to do something different than the other vehicles to make the recharge rate competitive.
Do you mean cybertruck will launch with a ccs plug on it?

I haven't read anywhere that cybertruck is launching with ccs. I'm sure the internal electronics will be ccs capable as all last few years teslas are (their signaling works with ccs). But I would be really shocked if it shipped without a conventional tesla charger plug shape. The reason is that it will take a good amount of time before tesla can add ccs plugs (even as a dual "pick between tesla or ccs at each station" strategy). I guess another possibility would be you could plug tesla or ccs into it, but that would be a big strategy change.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you mean cybertruck will launch with a ccs plug on it?

I haven't read anywhere that cybertruck is launching with ccs. I'm sure the internal electronics will be ccs capable as all last few years teslas are (their signaling works with ccs). But I would be really shocked if it shipped without a conventional tesla charger plug shape. The reason is that it will take a good amount of time before tesla can add ccs plugs (even as a dual "pick between tesla or ccs at each station" strategy). I guess another possibility would be you could plug tesla or ccs into it, but that would be a big strategy change.
It's my guess. That would be a big reason for them to actually put CCS plugs onto the chargers. I think Tesla won't be able to do 800V charging because the design of the Tesla connector doesn't have enough isolation in the airgap space for it. If they are shipping them to Europe, they still have to have the port designed to accept the Type 2 CCS, so make the design as common as they can.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
We should start rumors about that not being the case and that people are being electrocuted trying to steal the wires. Might discourage some of them from trying…. 😁
My brother in law is a line electrician for the power company here. He’s found what’s left of people who tried to steal copper from active transformer yards. Not much will deter people

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The Tesla adapter works fine for CCS1. So Cybertruck with a Tesla plug and a $250 CCS1 should work fine.

It looks to me that Tesla V3 Superchargers won't go above 500V. I'm unsure what the current max amp rate is on the new S and X. My impression was that Tesla was designing around handling more amps that current 800V CCS1 chargers.

Tesla could launch Supercharger CCS1 availability by requiring an adapter. Then slowly add actual cables.

I expect the Supercharger CCS1 rollout to be very slow. Angel Musk wants to appear to be doing the right thing. But the devil on the other shoulder reminds him to not give up a competitive advantage.
Sponsored