Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Pretty sure the issue with adapters & high speed DCFC is heat. Probably need native cooled cables at each charger.

I'm sure someone with actual technical knowledge might chime in here.
Tesla owners report good rates with the Tesla adapter on CCS1 chargers (EA).

The best hope for Rivian owners is that Tesla is willing to provide CCS1 charging on lesser used rural superchargers. Tesla has many stations that are used heavily, and many stations that are lightly used.

I assume that, regardless of Musk statements, Tesla will not give up their significant competitive advantage with Supercharger. Musk wants to appear as a good, cooperative guy, and Tesla would like the revenue. But if he wasn't ruthless he would have never succeeded with Tesla. There will be much foot dragging as Tesla addresses the complicated issue of adding CCS1.

Rivian's RAN is potentially a major advantage. And I don't mean the silly level 2 chargers Rivian is installing so that local PHEV owners can get free charging.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Good luck connecting a lot of vehicles (especially and R1T) into a SC without blocking a charger.
For this reason and many others, I think Tesla is more likely to introduce new CCS capable chargers and with design modifications to accommodate non tesla vehicles.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For this reason and many others, I think Tesla is more likely to introduce new CCS capable chargers and with design modifications to accommodate non tesla vehicles.
Someone mentioned they've seen their system, which is a single cable that basically treats a CCS adapter as a holster to the SC plug. Looks normal for Tesla owners, and then for CCS users the adapter would get unlocked from the charger base. I'd assume they'd be smart enough to include linger cables, but maybe not. I haven't seen them modify them in Europe and the short length may be part of their strategy with the levels of current they push.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Someone mentioned they've seen their system, which is a single cable that basically treats a CCS adapter as a holster to the SC plug. Looks normal for Tesla owners, and then for CCS users the adapter would get unlocked from the charger base. I'd assume they'd be smart enough to include linger cables, but maybe not. I haven't seen them modify them in Europe and the short length may be part of their strategy with the levels of current they push.
That's kind of a brilliant solution—way less likely someone would steal the connector, CCS users don't need to buy an adapter, and even Tesla can migrate to the new connector at their own pace.

It also seems like you aren't adding _too_ many points of failure, since the CCS adapter could mostly be pass-through wiring, with the smarts inside the charger base. Also makes it easier to upgrade the software if necessary. Oh, and less copper, which is always a savings.

I agree on length, I have no idea how they'd handle that. Given how many chargers are having their cables cut off, they might need to figure out a way to encapsulate the longer cables so you can't just cut through them. Or, you know, keep the HV live when not in use... :bandit:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Given how many chargers are having their cables cut off, they might need to figure out a way to encapsulate the longer cables so you can't just cut through them. Or, you know, keep the HV live when not in use..
You know what I wouldn't have the guts to do? Cut that cable without A LOT of knowledge about it being de-energized

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You know what I wouldn't have the guts to do? Cut that cable without A LOT of knowledge about it being de-energized
Yeah, but you don't steal copper for a living, either.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

RIP RAN? ...or at least maybe the urgency to build out, which is already low.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My biggest concern is the cable in the wrong spot!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
One of the small wires in the handle is called the "proximity" wire. The EVSE must receive a signal meeting certain specifications from the vehicle indicating that it is indeed "present" before the EVSE is allowed to close its contactor and energize the circuit. Fear not!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
One of the small wires in the handle is called the "proximity" wire. The EVSE must receive a signal meeting certain specifications from the vehicle indicating that it is indeed "present" before the EVSE is allowed to close its contactor and energize the circuit. Fear not!
Still not doing it. lol.

Lock-out tag-out is too ingrained into me.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We should start rumors about that not being the case and that people are being electrocuted trying to steal the wires. Might discourage some of them from trying…. 😁

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Has anyone heard how this will work at a practical level? For example, will we need the Tesla app to start a charging session similar to EA or ChargePoint?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
For example, will we need the Tesla app to start a charging session similar to EA or ChargePoint?
Yes, that's my understanding. You will download the Tesla app and use that to set up charging sessions. As I recall you pull into a stall, open the app and enter the stall number. The mother ship then checks out your credit card etc. and enables the charge.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Has anyone heard how this will work at a practical level? For example, will we need the Tesla app to start a charging session similar to EA or ChargePoint?
I've heard they are adding cameras to each unit, and you have to prostrate yourself while saying "O, Thank You, Great Elon, for this valuable gift of electricity. If not for your kindness, I would neither have electricity nor an electrical vehicle in which to place it."

After this you donate 3 hairs into a box for Elon to implant on his head.

Finally you show your credit card to the camera and it charges you a $0.40/kWh premium for driving a filthy non-Tesla.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
yes, an app.
Sponsored