First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
sometime after 2025 if Elon won't even put a timeline to it.

OP
OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

sometime after 2025 if Elon won't even put a timeline to it.
Probably right, unless there are financial incentives involved.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You can never have too many chargers available so would be great for everyone but Tesla owners but my guess is the Ran, EA, EV-Go, and other networks will be well extended before the Tesla retrofits their Super chargers.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Tesla needs to get those CCS to Tesla chargers from Korea here and then get Tesla to CCS adaptors going. It would be much quicker and assure folks can use any Supercharger and not just the ones they manage to get to with CCS cables.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla needs to get those CCS to Tesla chargers from Korea here and then get Tesla to CCS adaptors going. It would be much quicker and assure folks can use any Supercharger and not just the ones they manage to get to with CCS cables.
There may be other issues opening the Super chargers. Not sure wha regulations are out there for displaying rates and consumption or how they handle payments. Currently Tesla has none of this on their chargers.

It might be expensive for them to set all of this up.

I for one would certainly buy an adapter if it was available.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Pretty sure the issue with adapters & high speed DCFC is heat. Probably need native cooled cables at each charger.

I'm sure someone with actual technical knowledge might chime in here.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Elon announced this during the Q2 earnings call in 2020. Still hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't count on it happening anything soon either. They would also need to account for the various charge port locations across different brands and have a much longer cord.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It’s coming, but CCS vehicles will be paying a premium price for the Supercharging experience.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Good luck connecting a lot of vehicles (especially and R1T) into a SC without blocking a charger.

OP
OP
R1Sky Business

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It’s coming, but CCS vehicles will be paying a premium price for the Supercharging experience.
Is it the same for Teslas using CCS charging stations?

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Good luck connecting a lot of vehicles (especially and R1T) into a SC without blocking a charger.
I've been wondering about this.... I've used a lot of the Superchargers between Seattle and San Francisco and on some of them the cable barely reaches far enough to plug in a current Tesla (particularly some of the coastal Oregon and NorCal chargers for some reason). I'd guess the side of the vehicle plug-in cars like the Audi eTron GT or the Porsche Taycan will never reach and many others will require parking pretty oddly and blocking multiple chargers. Perhaps longer cables are already in the plan for Cybertruck?

As an aside, wtf did VW/Audi/Porsche not standardize the charger location on their vehicles?!?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
As an aside, wtf did VW/Audi/Porsche not standardize the charger location on their vehicles?!?
They clearly don't talk to each other unless they're sharing platforms.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've been wondering about this.... I've used a lot of the Superchargers between Seattle and San Francisco and on some of them the cable barely reaches far enough to plug in a current Tesla (particularly some of the coastal Oregon and NorCal chargers for some reason). I'd guess the side of the vehicle plug-in cars like the Audi eTron GT or the Porsche Taycan will never reach and many others will require parking pretty oddly and blocking multiple chargers. Perhaps longer cables are already in the plan for Cybertruck?

Yeah, really wish superchargers had longer cables. I don't supercharge very often, but when I do I usually have to end up getting back in the car and backing up a bit more for the cable to reach the port.
Sponsored