Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and Android for R1T / R1S?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
one thing that comes to mind is search data (granted I work at google, so of course this is what comes to mind). If I searched for restaurants, which one did I pick (and which ones did rivian choose to serve back because they got an incentive to do so). Data monetization isn't my area of expertise, but I think that any time you have a large amount of data someone will buy it.
My fault, by "UI clicks" I really meant "UI interactions", meaning your search data as well.

And, to your last point, I don't think they believe it's better. I think they believe controlling those systems is strategic to their mission (which is why I wonder if it's not related to data collection and monetization). You're essentially talking about a key way the user interacts with your product, so I can see why they'd want to control it.
I think they know it's not better too, which is why it's so infuriating to get that canned response when you ask customer service about CP/AA: "We believe that to create a truly incredible digital experience, an integrated platform that is optimized for our vehicles is the better path." I know this is marketing BS, but it would be refreshing if they just came out and said "we would rather force people to use our less-capable system so we can monetize it."
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am not well versed enough in AA/CP integration to understand how using those systems might affect their ability to collect and store (and monetize) relevant data.
FWIW, the infotainment OS is based off of Android. I am not sure if this is a fork of AOSP, or Android Automotive OS. You can tell it's Android from their careers page e.g.: https://boards.greenhouse.io/rivian/jobs/4580154003

Supporting Android Auto and Car Play should have no impact on collecting and storing data. As for monetize, that would only interfere if companies like Spotify were paying them for access (highly doubt) or they were inserting ads into the nav.

Edit: I didnt consider search data but I wonder how much search data people really generate when driving. No idea how much value would be there.

Speaking of which: Is the privacy policy readily available (this is mostly rhetorical as I will google for it as soon as I hit "post reply")

https://rivian.com/legal/privacy
I don't get warm fuzzy feelings reading that

Last edited:

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Ridgeline, 2018 Porsche Cayman 718 S
For me, though, it's not a point of passion. If I punch in a destination, does it get me there within a reasonable amount of time compared to CP/AA/Waze?
With Tesla...it doesn't. It's a very poor solution. I *have* to use ABRP on a road trip otherwise Tesla will waste too much of my time. The UI is crap, it's VERY hard to put in the stops I know I'm making, etc. Doesn't get traffic info fast enough can't help me avoid jams....

Does it know where to stop and charge with a reasonable amount of accuracy and efficiency?
Tesla doesn't. And Tesla has WAY more developers than Rivian.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
What are people’s thoughts on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto not being available in the Rivian R1 models? It seems like one ding from almost all car reviewers is that it’s missing CarPlay and AA and that it is a missed opportunity. I am of two minds; on the one hand, I think CarPlay and AA would be preferable when the manufacturer’s infotainment system is garbage, which is true for most legacy manufacturers. The days of paying $5K to upgrade to a super slow, granny and hard to see/use navigation system is long gone thanks to CarPlay and AA. However, I own a Tesla Model 3 and I love it’s UI and I would never use CarPlay (if it was an option) since the maps (Google) and the functionally is so good and easy to use. Plus, the fact that you have to plug in your phone to use CarPlay makes it subpar and not very useable for quick trips around town. I know that the newest cars use wireless CarPlay but in my experience (when I rent cars) the wireless functionality is pretty gimmicky and I would need to keep resetting the system or my phone to get it to connect. Because of this and the fact that the UI for CarPlay is very generic and limited, it’s more of a band-aid to a broken system than a full finished product. I haven’t been in an R1 model but based on what I see and read, it seems like Rivian’s UI will be similar to Tesla’s so I don’t think I would want CarPlay. I guess what is up in the air is the maps that Rivian uses compared to the Google maps on Teslas. Even still, I would not want to use CarPlay on my $80k R1S. I think adding that functionally is a cop-out so that the manufacturer can just build a terrible infotainment system and then just assumes you will rely on CarPlay. Instead, Rivian, like Tesla and other luxury manufactures should just build a great infotainment system with easy to use UI, which seems to be the case for Rivian.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
With respect, is another thread on this topic necessary?
As one of this forum’s most vocal CP/AA proponents, I concur. No need for a new thread.

OP, I suggest if you really want to know people’s thoughts on this topic check those threads out. In short, maps is only part of the equation, and even within maps there’s all sorts of differing opinions on what features are important in a navigation app.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well, I guess you guys are free of me complaining about this. The Silverado EV has CarPlay as standard, and the midgate seems like a more useful feature to me than the gear tunnel... so directing my funds elsewhere.

Hopefully Rivian comes around on this one day!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Well, I guess you guys are free of me complaining about this. The Silverado EV has CarPlay as standard, and the midgate seems like a more useful feature to me than the gear tunnel... so directing my funds elsewhere.

Hopefully Rivian comes around on this one day!
I'd rather wait to see what the Sierra Denali EV has to offer. It may check the same boxes while also offering a higher quality interior than the Silverado EV, which tops out at RST trim (for now). I was expecting a High Country trim for the Silverado but I guess that isn't in the cards for now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd rather wait to see what the Sierra Denali EV has to offer. It may check the same boxes while also offering a higher quality interior than the Silverado EV, which tops out at RST trim (for now). I was expecting a High Country trim for the Silverado but I guess that isn't in the cards for now.
It makes sense if GM wants to not compete within itself (which in the past it hasn't seemed to care about -- but maybe they're getting smarter?)

The Silverado EV looks promising, but I decided not to reserve one. It makes me hopeful for the Sierra Denali EV, however... As long as it's not way more expensive then I think I'll buy one of those.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.12.24 PM.png

Obviously, huge grain of salt here. I won't believe it until I hear it from the horse's mouth.
Not that I'm anything other than a fan, but I've been following Jason Cammisa's career for a long time and at the very least I think we can trust that he was told this. I don't see Jason lying about hearing this.

We just need to worry about whether Rivian will follow-through.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Alright Rivian, you pissed me off with the price changing. But if you truly are bringing CarPlay/AA to the R1T then consider me excited once again.