Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don’t think that anyone who says CarPlay is saying “Not Android Auto”. At least that’s what I think. It’s like saying Frisbee or Kleenex to them and they’re not trying to dis.

I have seen Android folks specifically saying “not CarPlay” and playing out some social beef in the forums.

I like the term “phone projection” I’ve seen written here and I think that’s what we’re all after.
I do find it fascinating that Apple people tend to love their devices, but also seem to accept that people can like what they like and use what they want to use. Android users often seem to take a more active "hate Apple" stance and try to control what others do. Super unhealthy. Ironic, too, considering so many Android people love to squawk about "customization" and "choice" but don't respect other's choices.

I don't recall anyone trying to FORCE people to use CarPlay. But there have been several people posting about how they want to actively NOT have CarPlay even available for others to use.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don’t think that anyone who says CarPlay is saying “Not Android Auto”. At least that’s what I think. It’s like saying Frisbee or Kleenex to them and they’re not trying to dis.

I have seen Android folks specifically saying “not CarPlay” and playing out some social beef in the forums.

I like the term “phone projection” I’ve seen written here and I think that’s what we’re all after.
Me calling for Apple to buy Rivian is essentially saying no to android auto.

I’ve never used an android auto, nor an android phone, and I have nothing against them…i just want CarPlay bad enough to say I don’t care what happens with AA. Me first.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone else here contacted CS to ask if this is true?

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Me calling for Apple to buy Rivian is essentially saying no to android auto.
That’s a fair point. I think I interpreted your post as desperation - please give me CarPlay somehow.

Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

[Humor] Here's what ChatGPT has to say when asked to "Write an article that explains why Rivian chooses to implement their own infotainment software while excluding Apple CarPlay integration."

"Rivian, the electric vehicle manufacturer, recently made the decision to implement its own infotainment software and exclude integration with Apple CarPlay. This decision has raised questions about why a company would choose to develop their own infotainment system instead of using a more established and widely used platform like Apple CarPlay.
One reason for this choice is that Rivian wants to offer a unique and personalized experience for its customers. The company believes that developing its own infotainment system will allow it to create a more seamless and integrated experience for its customers. This system will be designed specifically for Rivian vehicles, with features and interfaces that are tailored to the needs of electric vehicle owners.

Another reason is that Rivian wants to have complete control over the user experience. By using its own infotainment software, Rivian can ensure that the user experience is consistent across all of its vehicles and that it meets the high standards set by the company. This also allows Rivian to have greater control over the updates and maintenance of the infotainment system, which can be critical for ensuring the longevity and reliability of the system.

Additionally, by excluding Apple CarPlay, Rivian can avoid the limitations and restrictions that come with using a third-party platform. Apple CarPlay has strict guidelines and limitations on the types of apps and features that can be used, which can limit the flexibility and customization of the infotainment system. By using its own software, Rivian has the freedom to create and implement the features and capabilities that its customers want and need.

In conclusion, Rivian's decision to develop its own infotainment software and exclude Apple CarPlay integration is a strategic choice that reflects the company's commitment to delivering a unique and personalized experience for its customers. By having complete control over the user experience, Rivian can ensure that its infotainment system is reliable, flexible, and tailored to the needs of electric vehicle owners.
"

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Has anyone else here contacted CS to ask if this is true?
2/8/2023, 2:48:12 PM - Hello. Thanks for reaching out to Rivian. My name is Matt. How can I help you?
------
2/8/2023, 2:50:26 PM - Hey Matt, there's a lot of rumors circulating around Rivian exploring CarPlay support. Some folks are claiming they were told by Rivian CS it is in the works, while others are still giving the old "better experience" line we've all come to know. I'm sure this is probably making its way around your team as well. Do you have any idea where these rumors are coming from and if there's any truth to them?
------
2/8/2023, 2:52:25 PM - We do not have Apple CarPlay, and I'm not aware of any plans or announcements that is changing.

Anyone else want to try and see if you get a different answer?

graymatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Tables
It certainly seems that after seeing 3-4 people try that there is no change to the information or knowledge that the front-line reps have. Perhaps OP spoke to a manager or person who otherwise has some insider knowledge.... but also possible that person was just misinformed or willing to to say whatever it took to make OP happy

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It certainly seems that after seeing 3-4 people try that there is no change to the information or knowledge that the front-line reps have. Perhaps OP spoke to a manager or person who otherwise has some insider knowledge.... but also possible that person was just misinformed or willing to to say whatever it took to make OP happy
@hekhl00 can you provide any additional details about who provided the info without pin-pointing an individual? Was it a front-line CS rep or someone who could actually have more specific knowledge about the infotainment?

(love your avatar, btw. You can't skip lunch!)

Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
2/8/2023, 2:48:12 PM - Hello. Thanks for reaching out to Rivian. My name is Matt. How can I help you?
------
2/8/2023, 2:50:26 PM - Hey Matt, there's a lot of rumors circulating around Rivian exploring CarPlay support. Some folks are claiming they were told by Rivian CS it is in the works, while others are still giving the old "better experience" line we've all come to know. I'm sure this is probably making its way around your team as well. Do you have any idea where these rumors are coming from and if there's any truth to them?
------
2/8/2023, 2:52:25 PM - We do not have Apple CarPlay, and I'm not aware of any plans or announcements that is changing.

Way ahead of you 😂. I did it this morning and got a much more lengthy response that pretty much stated the same.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
[Humor] Here's what ChatGPT has to say when asked to "Write an article that explains why Rivian chooses to implement their own infotainment software while excluding Apple CarPlay integration."

"Rivian, the electric vehicle manufacturer, recently made the decision to implement its own infotainment software and exclude integration with Apple CarPlay, despite customer pleas to the contrary. This decision has raised questions about why a company would choose to develop their own infotainment system instead of using a more established and widely used platform like Apple CarPlay.

One reason for this choice is that Rivian wants to offer a unique and personalized experience for its customers, despite it being inferior and less capable. The company believes that developing its own infotainment system will allow it to create a more seamless and integrated experience for its customers, which many believe is a pipedream. This system will be designed specifically for Rivian vehicles, with features and interfaces that are tailored to the needs of electric vehicle owners, all of which would be satisfied by CarPlay, seemingly overnight.

Another reason is that Rivian wants to have complete control over the user experience. By using its own infotainment software, Rivian can ensure that the user experience is consistent across all of its vehicles and that it meets the high standards set by the company, though customers note that their demands exceed Rivian’s ability to deliver said infotainment features and functionality. This also allows Rivian to have greater control over the updates and maintenance of the infotainment system, which is odd since Rivian would still maintain full control over updates and can still develop their own infotainment features while using Carplay. Having both sufficient talent and financial resources can be critical for ensuring the longevity and reliability of the system, both of which are in finite supply at Rivian.

Additionally, by excluding Apple CarPlay, Rivian can avoid the limitations and restrictions that come with using a third-party platform, especially charging monthly subscriptions to Rivian customers. Apple CarPlay has strict guidelines and limitations on the types of apps and features that can be used, which can limit the flexibility and customization of the infotainment system, even though CP has substantially more flexibility, customization, and functionality than Rivian. By using its own software, Rivian has the freedom to create and implement the features and capabilities that its customers can be charged for monthly. Getting customers what they want and need is basic marketing and would ensure success.

In conclusion, Rivian's decision to develop its own infotainment software and exclude Apple CarPlay integration is a strategic choice that reflects the company's commitment to delivering a unique and personalized experience for its customers even if it is Unicorn hunting. By having complete control over the user experience, Rivian can ensure that its infotainment system is less reliable, inflexible, and not tailored to the needs of electric vehicle owners.
"

Above is my less than intelligent artificial correction of the above dissertation.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
@hekhl00 can you provide any additional details about who provided the info without pin-pointing an individual? Was it a front-line CS rep or someone who could actually have more specific knowledge about the infotainment?

(love your avatar, btw. You can't skip lunch!)

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
There is a small possibility that Rivian is in fact working on AA/CP integration but before they have anything finalized and ready to launch, they cannot talk about it.

So the official CS instructions still remain the same, perhaps some insider or sympathizing employee leaked some info to the rest of us.

If they announce too early they're doing this then they risk committing to this feature when probably Bezos still wants to have the possibility of killing it off even once it is ready to go internally.

Edit: Also someone needs to tell RJ that perhaps if they concede this point and make a big marketing push towards AA/CP integration, it may boost stock prices.
Sponsored