Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Referencing @Gavinmcc linked article above, the following auto manufacturers are commited to Apple CarPlay's next generation displays. Note this does not (yet) include existing CP supporters such as say BMW, Hyundai and others.

Acura
Audi
Ford
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Polestar
Porsche
Renault
Volvo

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Referencing @Gavinmcc linked article above, the following auto manufacturers are commited to Apple CarPlay's next generation displays. Note this does not (yet) include existing CP supporters such as say BMW, Hyundai and others.

Acura
Audi
Ford
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Polestar
Porsche
Renault
Volvo
Definitely curious what hardware changes are required to support this new iteration. Seems like Ford will dovetail this with their next-gen AAOS infotainment.

@usofrob given your experience can you shed any light on this?

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Definitely curious what hardware changes are required to support this new iteration. Seems like Ford will dovetail this with their next-gen AAOS infotainment.

@usofrob given your experience can you shed any light on this?
Unfortunately, I've been out of that business for a couple years now. So, this is the first I've heard of Apple's "next generation" CarPlay. It doesn't surprise me that they're wanting to cover everything that the car does. There has been a trend in recent years to use a single computer for the Instrument Cluster and the infotainment unit (the center one). They realized they can get a better CPU for less total cost if they share some HW. But, the instrument cluster is real time critical and safety critical. So, they use some form of virtualization to separate the instrument cluster code from the infotainment. That's very common on computer now, and it works very well. They can still communicate between them, but it's through a safe channel.

Having said all that, it seems extremely unlikely that the iPhone will be driving the instrument cluster displays directly. But, they could easily read that information and display it on any display that they have access to. OR, the instrument cluster would have to be running apple SW, or SW that's configurable by Apple. It seems very possible that those automakers may support the new protocol, but not the updated instrument cluster yet.

Android Automotive is the Android product that runs on the infotainment system directly and provides an Android experience without a phone. Volvo and others are deploying cars like this soonly. This has the capabilities described by Apple but I don't believe it runs on the instrument cluster for the reasons mentioned above.

So, for Rivian, it's probably a little extra work to go to the new one, than the old one. It would probably take a significant re-write to support displaying things on the instrument cluster, but it seems like for the main display, it's just a newer protocol to meet. So, it'd have similar challenges to the current protocol.

Finally, if they haven't even released the standard yet and there are any HW requirements changes, then it might be like 3-5 years before anyone supports it, because that's how long it takes to make an infotainment system from scratch. Minor HW changes *could* be done in like 1-2 years.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Android Automotive is the Android product that runs on the infotainment system directly and provides an Android experience without a phone. Volvo and others are deploying cars like this soonly. T
FWIW, Volvos have been "live" with AAOS for over a year now. As bad as Sensus was, AAOS is worse in many ways. Hopefully it will gain function over time, but for the time being Volvos are knee-capped compared to previous model years.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
FWIW, Volvos have been "live" with AAOS for over a year now. As bad as Sensus was, AAOS is worse in many ways. Hopefully it will gain function over time, but for the time being Volvos are knee-capped compared to previous model years.
I saw their demo of it a few years ago and it seemed 'fine', but not great. I think the idea is that once they can get support behind it, they'll iterate and it'll make things a lot better over time. I think one of the big problems with infotainment systems right now is that they're created fresh for every vehicle cycle. So, they don't gain a lot from iterations. By moving to AAOS, they'll be able to get the CPU vendor to provide a base functioning OS, and the OEMs can just focus on customizing their interface. And their interface will be able to easily transition between different hardware platforms. Think about how bad Apple Maps was when they started, I'm sure AAOS will get a lot better over the next few years.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Acura
Audi
Ford
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Polestar
Porsche
Renault
Volvo
BWM pretty much said nien to the Next Gen of Carplay, though they will continue to support it's original capabilities.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/ne...le-interactions-this-is-definitely-our-space/

Sponsored

fobmanny

First Name
Manish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

First, don't shoot the messenger. This was a very recent conversation with a Rivian employee when I called in for help with an unrelated issue. At the end of the conversation, I jokingly asked the rep to please push down the software that would activate CarPlay in my R1T. After a couple of seconds of silence I said "I'm joking! But please do make a note that I requested CarPlay". This is where it got interesting. The rep said that we hear you and we really want to make this happen. The rep went on to say that they are working with Apple to make sure they have all the requirements but rest assured this is a priority and that they very much want to offer CarPlay. He said we know our customers want it and we just have to make sure we can meet all of Apple's requirements.

Take it for what it's worth but I was stunned at the candor.
Actually, when my R1S was delivered, I had a similar convo with the rep. That RIVN is working on this effort for 2023 for their customers

Let's see what happens.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Actually, when my R1S was delivered, I had a similar convo with the rep. That RIVN is working on this effort for 2023 for their customers

Let's see what happens.
Did they say specifically they are working on adding CarPlay or broadly working on features that will fill the gaps caused by the lack of CarPlay?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

Acura
Audi
Ford
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lincoln
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Polestar
Porsche
Renault
Volvo
Also missing is Vinfast who will probably just steal the new UI coding and rename it Carr Play and claim it just happens to look "somewhat similar" to Apple Car Play.

JimTX

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
Attorney
I guess Rivian should take note -- this topic has generated "14 pages" of conversation/postings in roughly 8-days!

fobmanny

First Name
Manish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Did they say specifically they are working on adding CarPlay or broadly working on features that will fill the gaps caused by the lack of CarPlay?
They specifically mentioned CarPlay integration and capability to come either later this year (definitely not holding my breadth though :) )
Sponsored