Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
In our 75-mph highway test, we found the R1T's range to be 220 miles.
I don't know the other variables other their test but even with the 20" ATs this is concerning.

Edit: right after the quoted section they mention there was near freezing temps. This number makes more sense now.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don't know the other variables other their test but even with the 20" ATs this is concerning.
That's on a 75 mph highway test so the number should come as no surprise.

It's a bit disingenuous of them to state that range falls short of EPA estimates when they're testing under completely different conditions (speed and ambient) and a different vehicle spec (20s vs 21s) all of which are expected to reduce range vs the EPA cycle. Duh.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
This is the toughest aspect people will have to learn going from gas to electric: city vs highway “range” is reversed. A gas car gets crap mileage in the city and better mileage on the highway. Stop and start and idle at lights eats gas.
For electric it’s the opposite: city range is increased as idle uses basically nothing and stop start driving is not a penalty for electrics. But constant, high speed driving drains the battery much faster that slower speeds.
For me: I rode an electric motorcycle from 2013 for 7 years and 20k miles. Would get 100 miles range in the city, but only 65-70 miles at highway speeds. And winter was worse.

Similar with my 2019 Bolt. I’ll get close to 300 miles of city driving, but only 200 of highway driving (75-80 mph).

it’s just the nature of electrics, and can be a pain at first if you do lots of highway driving. I don’t really need 300 miles of city range as, unless you’re a delivery truck, how many city miles does one drive in a day? But 200 miles on the highway goes pretty quick.

Which is why, as much as I love electric and never plan to buy a gas vehicle again, I understand why some still need gas (my wife drives a hybrid) and why electrics need to continue to improve. Which they will.
Right now though, if you are a city family and have two cars, one should be electric and the other a hybrid or better yet a plug in hybrid.
(Long story short: 220 miles at 75 mph doesn’t surprise me. 220 miles at 75 mph at near freezing temps is actually not bad at all).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
These automotive publications still don't understand battery technology at all. Freezing temps at 75 mph = lesser range no matter which EV you are driving. Hell, either one of those alone could have a significant impact. You could argue that this is "real world" testing, which may be true, but don't ding them for something that applies to literally every BEV out there. Unless you just don't like EVs and want to make that point....

Sponsored

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
The range figure is actually pretty good considering the speed, tires, and outside temperature. That said, it is a 130 kwh pack.

What is not impressive is the charge curve they posted that is WELL behind competitors. My current Tesla requires nearly 40 min to do 10-80% and I just can't see myself purchasing a new EV that takes even longer.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

@Gavinmcc this is very helpful. The R1T will be my first EV so I have a lot to learn. thanks

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Highway range is my exact concern and why I'm painfully waiting for a Max pack.

I made almost this exact trip this past weekend to the north Georgia mountains with my family. For most of my drive there and back temp hovered around freezing. 90+ miles each way from Atlanta (mostly highway) with no ability to destination charge. ABRP says I would have made it there and back with 7% after starting at 100%. That's ONLY for there and back and no trail riding.

There is exactly one 50kw plug within 50 miles of my destination per plugshare (Not exactly fast charging). Heck it can be hard to find a gas station that's open up there!

Just saying there are real infrastructure problems that can only be fixed with bigger batteries, more chargers, or more patience (something my family doesn't have in spades).

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Car and Driver Tested: 2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Review Screenshot_20220202-104411_Chrome

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I didn't think C&D range statements were to misleading. They did give qualifiers as to why the range was less than EPA. The average person won't understand all the dynamics of EV range but we can't blame C&D for that. We have all been clamoring for real world range and charge curve info then when we get it we complain "you did it wrong".
Even I'm confused on how low temp. Affects range. As the battery warms from use don't you get most of the range back? Aside from what you use for climate control.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
What was misleading was the 0-60 time given as 3.3 seconds without any qualifiers. 3.3 S. As a general statement is false. Another reviewer already got 3.1 s. 0-60 on 20"AT tires in less than ideal conditions.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
What was misleading was the 0-60 time given as 3.3 seconds without any qualifiers. 3.3 S. As a general statement is false. Another reviewer already got 3.1 s. 0-60 on 20"AT tires in less than ideal conditions.
If you are referring to MotorTrend, the 3.1 sec. number was on the 21" AS(20" AT was still a blistering 3.2 sec.)

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

"128.9-kWh battery pack"

Is this the first confirmation of the lowered kWh available? They still reference 7776 cells. Or are the other 6kWh now on auxiliary/backup?
Sponsored