First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am rooting for these guys, but every quarter they are just circling the drain. 😬

American EV startup Canoo shared its latest report outlining its results for Q2 of 2022 as it continues to fight to stay out of the red in a race toward production. Canoo is now reporting another big loss for the quarter. And, although it has $1 billion in its sales pipeline, only a minority percentage of those commitments are binding under contract.
https://electrek.co/2022/08/08/canoo-q2-2022-report/
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah I originally wanted one of their trucks. It looks like a Mars rover and that’s pretty badass. It’s the sort of car you wished you had as a little boy, at least I did.

The Rivian is better and actually real so I switched. Honestly if they were both available today though I would have to think about it slightly.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah I originally wanted one of their trucks. It looks like a Mars rover and that’s pretty badass. It’s the sort of car you wished you had as a little boy, at least I did.

The Rivian is better and actually real so I switched. Honestly if they were both available today though I would have to think about it slightly.
You are so right - it has a retro feel to it, like something from Buck Rogers or the Jetsons.

I didn’t place a reservation with them, but had they been as far along as Rivian I would have to give that some thought as well.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Wonder if Walmart will get their 10,000 delivery vans from them, and if not if their might be some other up and comer EV manufacturer ready to step in and help Walmart out....

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Wonder if Walmart will get their 10,000 delivery vans from them, and if not if their might be some other up and comer EV manufacturer ready to step in and help Walmart out....
That would be a great test of Rivian’s independence from Amazon.

Sponsored

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
They have lines of credit available up to ~$700M or so.

So they have at least 2 or 3 quarters to launch.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Yeah I saw that too. I have no information about their manufacturing capability other than what I read in these articles, but it sure doesn’t seem like they are that close to being able to churn out a few hundred vans, let alone a few thousand.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators

That’s a tall order considering they haven’t even completed their plant yet.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am no business guru, but it seems like this deal (to contract out building their vehicles in the beginning) should have been in the works like 3-5 years ago. Let’s say they do find someone who will do it on short notice and complete all 10,000 potential Walmart vans. Then what? The Walmart deal alone isn’t enough to save the company and it won’t really help them sell vehicles to consumers. Seems like too little too late unfortunately…

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

They will either have to secure a ton of capital, or find much more than 700M. New vehicle manufacturers need so much capital to start and scale production it is not even funny. That is why it takes so long to become profitable.

They will either find the capital they need, or some legacy OE will pick them up for their IP.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I am no business guru, but it seems like this deal (to contract out building their vehicles in the beginning) should have been in the works like 3-5 years ago. Let’s say they do find someone who will do it on short notice and complete all 10,000 potential Walmart vans. Then what? The Walmart deal alone isn’t enough to save the company and it won’t really help them sell vehicles to consumers. Seems like too little too late unfortunately…
Plus add in supply chain problems. Rivian, with a pile of cash, had trouble convincing suppliers they would pay. Imagine how this is going to go.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Plus add in supply chain problems. Rivian, with a pile of cash, had trouble convincing suppliers they would pay. Imagine how this is going to go.
Exactly. I actually thought Fisker did a smart thing by making a deal with Magna to build their vehicles. But they had to talk with multiple companies before they found Magna. And even after signing that deal it takes years not months to produce the first cars off the line.

Canoo might already have vans/ trucks being delivered to consumers if they had done the same thing. And it would have given comfort to investors along the way. This is tough, expensive stuff these companies are trying to do. Rivian made plenty of mistakes along the way but is actually positioned to succeed if they do it right.
Sponsored